OpenHIM and OpenSHR evaluation tool

Hi all,

We have started to create evaluation tools for evaluating technologies for a Shared Health Record and an Interoperability Layer. These tools are in the form of a spreadsheet that asks specific questions of the technology being evaluated to see how closely is fits the requirements that we have defined for a shared health record and a interoperability layer.

I will be going over what we have some far on the call today but I’d like to ask everyone involved in these communities to go over the questions we have put down offline and see if there are any more questions you would like to add or if there are any questions you would like to see changed to more accurately reflect what you believe should be asked of a shared health record or an interoperability layer technology.

The links to these evaluation tools are as follows:

SHR: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah8KVMJr8h4pdDBaVjh6TGJYc3FzZlJfcGd6d245Mnc&pli=1#gid=0

Interoperability Layer: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah8KVMJr8h4pdDVaM1J3N1RtNzdkMEdCaTBXdWppbVE&pli=1#gid=1

I have also attached a copy of the questions that you can use to capture your comments and additional questions on. Remember feel free to change this as you feel is right, we will compile the changes and discuss them on following calls. Please could you try send this feedback back to me by 8th April, the date of our next call.

I look forward to your comments!

Cheers,

Ryan

SHR Evaluation Tool Questions.xlsx (9.05 KB)

OpenHIM Evaluation Tool Questions.xlsx (8.52 KB)

···

Ryan Crichton

Senior Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Ryan,

Can these spreadsheets be added to the OpenHIE wiki so that everyone can find and see them?

• Jamie
···

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Ryan ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi all,

We have started to create evaluation tools for evaluating technologies for a Shared Health Record and an Interoperability Layer. These tools are in the form of a spreadsheet that asks specific questions of the technology being evaluated to see how closely is fits the requirements that we have defined for a shared health record and a interoperability layer.

I will be going over what we have some far on the call today but I’d like to ask everyone involved in these communities to go over the questions we have put down offline and see if there are any more questions you would like to add or if there are any questions you would like to see changed to more accurately reflect what you believe should be asked of a shared health record or an interoperability layer technology.

SHR: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah8KVMJr8h4pdDBaVjh6TGJYc3FzZlJfcGd6d245Mnc&pli=1#gid=0

Interoperability Layer: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah8KVMJr8h4pdDVaM1J3N1RtNzdkMEdCaTBXdWppbVE&pli=1#gid=1

I have also attached a copy of the questions that you can use to capture your comments and additional questions on. Remember feel free to change this as you feel is right, we will compile the changes and discuss them on following calls. Please could you try send this feedback back to me by 8th April, the date of our next call.

Cheers,

Ryan Crichton

Ryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Hi Jamie, yes that would e great. I actually want to talk to Paul and Shaun about this on the call today. I think we are now outgrowing Google docs so I want to try move a lot of the info we have to the OpenHIE wiki. I’l talk to them to see if they think this is the best solution to.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Jamie Thomas jamiethomas5670@gmail.com wrote:

Ryan,

Can these spreadsheets be added to the OpenHIE wiki so that everyone can find and see them?

• Jamie

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIM-Dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhim-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ryan Crichton

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Ryan ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ryan Crichton

Ryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Hi all,

Just a reminder to please give your comment and suggestions on the spreadsheets attached in the above email if you have a change. Any comment or feedback will be much appreciated. This is to help see if what we have put down accurately reflects what the group thinks makes up a Shared Health Record and an Interoperability Layer.

Thanks,

Ryan

···

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Ryan ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ryan Crichton

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Ryan I don’t see an attachment- except for the link to the google doc. I started adding comments there- but was worried that would become unworkable if you got too many J

How do you want to receive this feedback?

Liz

···

From: openhie-shr@googlegroups.com [mailto:openhie-shr@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Ryan
Sent: April-02-13 10:50 AM
To: openhim-dev@googlegroups.com; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: OpenHIM and OpenSHR evaluation tool

Hi all,

Just a reminder to please give your comment and suggestions on the spreadsheets attached in the above email if you have a change. Any comment or feedback will be much appreciated. This is to help see if what we have put down accurately reflects what the group thinks makes up a Shared Health Record and an Interoperability Layer.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton*
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org*

Ryan Crichton

Hi Liz and all,

The attachments were in the original mail. I’ve attached them here to make things easier. Sorry for the difficulties.

Cheers,

Ryan

OpenHIM Evaluation Tool Questions.xlsx (8.52 KB)

SHR Evaluation Tool Questions.xlsx (9.05 KB)

···

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Liz Peloso liz.peloso@gmail.com wrote:

Ryan I don’t see an attachment- except for the link to the google doc. I started adding comments there- but was worried that would become unworkable if you got too many J

How do you want to receive this feedback?

Liz

From: openhie-shr@googlegroups.com [mailto:openhie-shr@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Ryan
Sent: April-02-13 10:50 AM
To: openhim-dev@googlegroups.com; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton*

Ryan Crichton

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIM-Dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhim-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ryan Crichton

Great thanks for these comments, Justin. (I’ve posted this back to the lists as these comment may generate further discussion)

I agree, some discussion of what types of deployments the SHR should support would be great. I’l add this as a topic for one of upcoming calls.

Thanks for your additions, these are helpful. I especially like the privacy/policy constraints. We don’t much experience with this so this would be a good item to explore.

It seems the attachments that I sent out were a bit malformed, apologies. It’s probably best to look at the Google docs as these reflect the newest changes. these are now housed here for ease of use:

https://openhie.atlassian.net/wiki/display/resources/Shared+Health+Record+Evaluation+Tool

and

https://openhie.atlassian.net/wiki/display/resources/Interoperability+Layer+Evaluation+Tool

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Fyfe, Justin justin.fyfe1@mohawkcollege.ca wrote:

Hi Ryan,

The questions look good; however I think we’ll need to think about how it may be deployed as the requirements may change the evaluation of some tools. For example,
if it is expected that some jurisdictions will want to combine the OpenSHR/OpenHIM with commercial/non-oss products then it might change the weighting of interoperability and use of standards. Or if a jurisdiction might deploy the OpenSHR in a peer-to-peer
model then OpenSHR would have to support more robust authentication methods, etc.

I also think future vision will also have an impact on the design. For example, if (in the future) diagnostic imaging or medication management systems will
be included in the HIE then the SHR and HIM design should be mindful of those systems (even if they are just clouds on a paper for the time being).

A few questions that I would probably add to the evaluation are:

• Do the interoperability interfaces support node authentication (non-repudiation), and/or encryption?
  • Can the software audit any modifications/disclosure of data (and can those be shipped to a central repository)?
  • Does the software support storage and retrieval of basic privacy/policy constraints?
  • Is the software modular in nature (i.e. can the solution be modified easily to suit a particular use case)?
  • What is the general support base/implementation base for the interoperability interfaces (having interoperability interfaces is great, but if nobody else
    implements them it makes it harder to reuse them)

And for the HIM:

• A question about service durability (that is the process whereby an integration software can resume and/or compensate transactions that are interrupted).
  • How difficult is the system to learn (estimated effort-hours of training required)?

You may have covered these in your spreadsheet, however I am only seeing one sheet in the workbook (I know there is a second one in there I can’t get to it
though).

I am a big fan of service-oriented and component based architectures (as is shown in the Visualizer, SHR and CR) so my bias tends to be towards identifying
the concerns various bits of the software will require and then abstracting the runtime details to services where they can be activated/disabled based on deployment (i.e. configure instead of compile). Admittedly this does tend to make software design a little
more involved…

I have cc’ed Duane on this thread as he might find it interesting :slight_smile:

Cheers

-Justin

From: rg.crichton@gmail.com [mailto:rg.crichton@gmail.com]
On Behalf Of Ryan
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 5:14 AM
To: Fyfe, Justin

Cc: Hannes Venter; Kari Schoonbee

Hi Justin,

I’d really value your comments on these questions in the evaluation tools. I think you guys have more experience with these sort of things so are there any things that you think we are missing here that you can think to add or items that
are unclear or items that you would like to see changed?

Looking forward to seeing you in Cape Town soon!

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi all,

We have started to create evaluation tools for evaluating technologies for a Shared Health Record and an Interoperability Layer. These tools are in the form of a spreadsheet that asks specific questions of the technology being evaluated
to see how closely is fits the requirements that we have defined for a shared health record and a interoperability layer.

I will be going over what we have some far on the call today but I’d like to ask everyone involved in these communities to go over the questions we have put down offline and see
if there are any more questions you would like to add or if there are any questions you would like to see changed to more accurately reflect what you believe should be asked of a shared health record or an interoperability layer technology.

I have also attached a copy of the questions that you can use to capture your comments and additional questions on. Remember feel free to change this as you feel is right, we will compile the changes and discuss them on following calls.
Please could you try send this feedback back to me by 8th April, the date of our next call.

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:
+27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton

Ryan Crichton

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended

only for the individual or entity named in the message. If the reader

of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible

to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that

any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication

is prohibited. If this communication was received in error, please

notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy

the original message.

Ryan Crichton

Thanks for these suggestions Larry, some the performance oriented questions can be fairly subjective to the use case so we have tried to be more general. I have added a question about service durability to try capture some of these but it is difficult to capture each of these for a general usage. We have put some usage estimates together for the Rwandan use case to help us with performance testing. This can be found here: https://openhie.atlassian.net/wiki/display/resources/Estimated+load+figure+for+a+Rwandan+national+deployment

Also we have been doing some performance testing of the OpenMRS SHR to look at these sorts of issues, you can have a look at this here: https://openhie.atlassian.net/wiki/display/resources/Performance+evaluation+of+OpenMRS

For the SHR we are considering other contenders but don’t know of others to include. Could you give some suggestions of other that we should be considering? We’d be happy to hear about them.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Ryan ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Thanks Larry and Mark. We have been working through these and will be incorporating your comments in our documents.

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Tucker, Mark mtucker2@regenstrief.org wrote:

I’m working on a missive!

From: rg.crichton@gmail.com [mailto:rg.crichton@gmail.com]
On Behalf Of Ryan

Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:12 AM
To: Lemmon, Larry; Tucker, Mark

Hi Larry and Mark,

Do you have any responses for us about the evaluation tools that we have created. We are meeting with Justin Fyfe next week and you like to aggregate all the comments for our discussions next week.

Thanks!

Ryan

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Lemmon, Larry llemmon@regenstrief.org wrote:

Mark’s email address is:

Tucker, Mark
mtucker2@regenstrief.org

I have forwarded your email with the questions to him.

I have reviewed the questions, and I will send my response soon.

Thanks,

Larry

rg.crichton@gmail.com [mailto:rg.crichton@gmail.com]
On Behalf Of Ryan
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 4:09 AM
To: Lemmon, Larry

Hi Larry,

It seems I don’t have Marks correct email address, could you please forward this to him as well?

Thanks

Ryan

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Ryan ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi Mark and Larry,

I’d really value your guys input to these documents. I’d like to see if the questions that we are asking here are the questions that you would be asking of a shared health record
and an interoperability layer for your perspective, and if not what questions would you like to see added? I’d love to hear your perspectives on this.

Could I ask if you could please go through these spreadsheets and give your perspective on the questions. Please add any suggestions for items that you feel are missing, I’m sure
there are item missing here.

Your comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi all,

We have started to create evaluation tools for evaluating technologies for a Shared Health Record and an Interoperability Layer. These tools are in the form of a spreadsheet that
asks specific questions of the technology being evaluated to see how closely is fits the requirements that we have defined for a shared health record and a interoperability layer.

I will be going over what we have some far on the call today but I’d like to ask everyone involved in these communities to go over the questions we have put down offline and see
if there are any more questions you would like to add or if there are any questions you would like to see changed to more accurately reflect what you believe should be asked of a shared health record or an interoperability layer technology.

I have also attached a copy of the questions that you can use to capture your comments and additional questions on. Remember feel free to change this as you feel is right, we will
compile the changes and discuss them on following calls. Please could you try send this feedback back to me by 8th April, the date of our next call.

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

Ryan Crichton

Mobile: