Who cares about deployment?

Hi all,

In order for OpenHIE to be valuable, it will obviously need to be deployed somewhere.

On the SHR call today, we discussed a system based on .NET. In terms of deployment, that could prove a challenge given the comparative difficulty in automating Windows deployments, the licensing model and support by cloud providers. It occurred to me that even though there seems consensus that difficulty in deployment of the overall system is important, I'm not sure the issue is owned by anyone.

Given the split between the mailing lists, is there a place for ease of deployment, hosting and automation to live? As the interoperability layer community, are cross-cutting concerns like deployment and operations something we should be thinking about?

The ability to quickly get a health information exchange up and running is in some sense the core rationale for OpenHIE, so it's something we should certainly not lose sight of.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I couldn’t agree more. I think this is something that is key to the success of the OHIE. I think that we will probably find a lot of “customers” of easy deployment in the Interoperability layer group but I do think that there is space for an Implementers community that is helping drive the HIE product offering as a whole. At this stage the only full deployment of all tools is the Rwanda context but as more countries come live it would be a good idea to give them a home to ask questions around.

As we start to near the consensus around the interoperability layer I would suggest that we open up a track here to “catch” all thoughts around deployment and keep these documented and possibly put some thought to this (but not at the expense of the core group for now). Who knows, it could find itself spinning out to a separate list that forms a feeding list for the other communities.

Will chat to Linda tomorrow and see how or where we may think of putting a sandbox page in the subcommunity section of the wiki to help us catch our thoughts and ideas.

Cheers,

Carl

···

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM, cford@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi all,

In order for OpenHIE to be valuable, it will obviously need to be deployed somewhere.

On the SHR call today, we discussed a system based on .NET. In terms of deployment, that could prove a challenge given the comparative difficulty in automating Windows deployments, the licensing model and support by cloud providers. It occurred to me that even though there seems consensus that difficulty in deployment of the overall system is important, I’m not sure the issue is owned by anyone.

Given the split between the mailing lists, is there a place for ease of deployment, hosting and automation to live? As the interoperability layer community, are cross-cutting concerns like deployment and operations something we should be thinking about?

The ability to quickly get a health information exchange up and running is in some sense the core rationale for OpenHIE, so it’s something we should certainly not lose sight of.

Cheers,

Chris

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-interoperability-layer+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Carl Fourie
Assistant Director of Programs, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl@jembi.org