Tracking the last time a clinic accessed the HIE

Hi Everyone,

I’m thinking through the architecture when trying to implement an OpenMRS to OpenHIE connection that stores data in the shared health record. Given the intermittent internet connectivity, it would be helpful to be able to keep track of the last time each clinic interacted with the HIE. For the short term, we would like to display a table that lists clinics in each row with a column that displays the last datetime they interacted with the HIE. In the future, we would like to add columns to the table for each workflow that is accomplished. For example, we would add a column that shows the number of records pushed to the shared health record in the last update.

Here are some questions on my mind:

• Is this available somewhere in the HIE?

• Would the interoperability layer be the best place to keep this, the facility registry or HMIS?

• Are there other services that have been deployed to the HIE that deal with tracking intermittent internet connectivity? Should the HIE do things like ping clinics to verify they are up and available? (similar to Nagios functionality)

Thanks,

Craig

Craig - great question!

Just a quick brainstorm: my bet is that one could could mine the interoperability later transaction logs (build an addon module?) to support your requirements. The SHR community will likely have thoughts as well.

Shaun

···

On Nov 7, 2016 12:14 PM, “Craig A.” cappl@uw.edu wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I’m thinking through the architecture when trying to implement an OpenMRS to OpenHIE connection that stores data in the shared health record. Given the intermittent internet connectivity, it would be helpful to be able to keep track of the last time each clinic interacted with the HIE. For the short term, we would like to display a table that lists clinics in each row with a column that displays the last datetime they interacted with the HIE. In the future, we would like to add columns to the table for each workflow that is accomplished. For example, we would add a column that shows the number of records pushed to the shared health record in the last update.

• Would the interoperability layer be the best place to keep this, the facility registry or HMIS?
  • Are there other services that have been deployed to the HIE that deal with tracking intermittent internet connectivity? Should the HIE do things like ping clinics to verify they are up and available? (similar to Nagios functionality)

Thanks,

Craig

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-implementers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohie-implementers/bcddcd24-6ddd-4aa7-a721-1a3c3e093dcf%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Craig,

The statement “last time clinic interacted with the HIE” just stands out to me a little here so I’m going to unpack it a bit and ask for clarifications :slight_smile: You reference the SHR and storing data in it, is “last time it interacted” limited to the storage of data in the SHR (i.e. save clinical encounter) or should we also be including if a clinic asked for a Patient ID, submit aggregate data, query facility etc?

If you are limiting yourself to “when was the last time a clinic saved data to the SHR (not queried)” I would consider doing a query off of the SHR database for this (one could write an app to resolve facility IDs with the Facility registry too if you wanted).

However if you are looking for a more wholistic view of how a facility has been interacting with the HIE I support Shaun’s point of mining the logs of the HIM. We did something similar intitially when we started with the MomConnect project for a stop-gap reporting solution before it moved to DHIS2. I’m guessing that this would be an occasional report (i.e. 1x a day / week / or on demand)?

@Ryan C: any thoughts on this?

···

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Shaun Grannis sgrannis@gmail.com wrote:

Craig - great question!

Just a quick brainstorm: my bet is that one could could mine the interoperability later transaction logs (build an addon module?) to support your requirements. The SHR community will likely have thoughts as well.

Shaun

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-implementers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohie-implementers/CAC7%3DOnPSJkyUhRs%3DBwaw6J5Qjn%3DdnaGRmpGnQfJ%2Bgmr1LKY0iA%40mail.gmail.com.

Regards
Carl Fourie

Senior Program Manager | Digital Health Division

Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl.fourie@jembi.org

Email Disclaimer:

This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail and then deleting same. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. Jembi Health Systems NPO, its subsidiaries and associated companies is not liable for the security of information sent by e-mail and accepts no liability of whatsoever nature for any loss, damage or expense resulting, directly or indirectly, from the access of this e-mail or any attachments hereto.

On Nov 7, 2016 12:14 PM, “Craig A.” cappl@uw.edu wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Craig

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohie-implementers/bcddcd24-6ddd-4aa7-a721-1a3c3e093dcf%40googlegroups.com.