Terminology management maturity model

Hi all,

I wanted to get your input into a terminology management maturity model that we drafted to support the Ethiopia MOH on their National Health Data Dictionary initiative. While this was originally Ethiopia-specific, it seemed that there may be some value in generalizing this for the larger community. This model gives some credit to the early stages of development in which a country may have nothing more than indicator definitions published as PDFs. What this model probably lacks – and where I’d welcome discussion and your inputs – is on how to further break down the higher levels of maturity that I described as digital adoption and institutionalization. Are there existing models that we could refer to that break down terminology services adoption into maturity levels? Are there processes utilized by other governments and even SDOs that may inform this model?

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ZHeiz2b-nTVjZ5gnwUNWpFuyTOGBUt0TaNYDv-EC6QQ/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Best,
Jon

I think we did do some work here. I will check.

Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH FACMI
andrew.kanter@dbmi.columbia.edu

+1.646.469.2421

···

Sent from my iPhone 6S

On Sep 6, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Jonathan Payne paynejd@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

I wanted to get your input into a terminology management maturity model that we drafted to support the Ethiopia MOH on their National Health Data Dictionary initiative. While this was originally Ethiopia-specific, it seemed that there may be some value in generalizing this for the larger community. This model gives some credit to the early stages of development in which a country may have nothing more than indicator definitions published as PDFs. What this model probably lacks – and where I’d welcome discussion and your inputs – is on how to further break down the higher levels of maturity that I described as digital adoption and institutionalization. Are there existing models that we could refer to that break down terminology services adoption into maturity levels? Are there processes utilized by other governments and even SDOs that may inform this model?

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ZHeiz2b-nTVjZ5gnwUNWpFuyTOGBUt0TaNYDv-EC6QQ/edit?usp=sharing

Best,
Jon

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Terminology Services” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi All,

I just wanted to bring this back to the top of everyones email to see if there is any additional feedback people would like to give.

**Jamie Thomas **|****Health Information Project Manager/Communications

Center for Biomedical Informatics

F447BFA7-64CF-416E-9382-5383D9F359EA[15].png

1101 West Tenth Street

Indianapolis, IN 46202

Tel 317-274-9218 | Fax 317-274-9305

Email: jt48@regenstrief.org | Skype: jamie.thomas5670 | Twitter: @RegenstriefGHI

www.regenstrief.org

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this message and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged
information and are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and
State laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information without the specific written consent of the person to whom the information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A general authorization for the release of medical
or other information is not sufficient for this purpose.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the original message. Any retention,
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

···

From: “terminology-services@googlegroups.comterminology-services@googlegroups.com

Reply-To: “terminology-services@googlegroups.comterminology-services@googlegroups.com

Date: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 8:59 PM

To: “terminology-services@googlegroups.comterminology-services@googlegroups.com

Subject: Re: Terminology management maturity model

+1.646.469.2421

Sent from my iPhone 6S

Hi all,

I wanted to get your input into a terminology management maturity model that we drafted to support the Ethiopia MOH on their National Health Data Dictionary initiative. While this was originally Ethiopia-specific, it seemed that there may be some value
in generalizing this for the larger community. This model gives some credit to the early stages of development in which a country may have nothing more than indicator definitions published as PDFs. What this model probably lacks – and where I’d welcome discussion
and your inputs – is on how to further break down the higher levels of maturity that I described as digital adoption and institutionalization. Are there existing models that we could refer to that break down terminology services adoption into maturity levels?
Are there processes utilized by other governments and even SDOs that may inform this model?

Best,

Jon

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Terminology Services” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to

One comment: Slide 2, Shared Reference, says the “users referred to a human-readable reference by documents and other systems”, yet the remaining slides describe
an electronic “dictionary” in the TMS that holds and publishes this information. One of the most difficult steps in terminological maturity can be the modeling of previously narrative, e.g. hard-copy/pdf, information into an electronic format. This step typically
exposes internal consistency and/or duplicative issues. Is this “data modeling” step part of Shared Reference or Digital Adoption?

Nice work,

Jack

F447BFA7-64CF-416E-9382-5383D9F359EA[15].png

···

From: terminology-services@googlegroups.com [mailto:terminology-services@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Thomas, Jamie
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:31 AM
To: terminology-services@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I just wanted to bring this back to the top of everyones email to see if there is any additional feedback people would like to give.

**Jamie Thomas **|****Health Information Project Manager/Communications

Center for Biomedical Informatics

1101 West Tenth Street

Indianapolis, IN 46202

Tel 317-274-9218 | Fax 317-274-9305

Email: jt48@regenstrief.org | Skype: jamie.thomas5670 | Twitter: @RegenstriefGHI

www.regenstrief.org

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this message and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s).
Additionally, the information contained herein may have been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and State laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information
without the specific written consent of the person to whom the information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A general authorization for the release of medical or other information is not sufficient for this purpose.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information
by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

From:terminology-services@googlegroups.comterminology-services@googlegroups.com
Reply-To:terminology-services@googlegroups.comterminology-services@googlegroups.com
Date: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 8:59 PM
To:terminology-services@googlegroups.comterminology-services@googlegroups.com

+1.646.469.2421

Sent from my iPhone 6S

Hi all,

I wanted to get your input into a terminology management maturity model that we drafted to support the Ethiopia MOH on their National Health Data Dictionary initiative.
While this was originally Ethiopia-specific, it seemed that there may be some value in generalizing this for the larger community. This model gives some credit to the early stages of development in which a country may have nothing more than indicator definitions
published as PDFs. What this model probably lacks – and where I’d welcome discussion and your inputs – is on how to further break down the higher levels of maturity that I described as digital adoption and institutionalization. Are there existing models
that we could refer to that break down terminology services adoption into maturity levels? Are there processes utilized by other governments and even SDOs that may inform this model?

Best,
Jon