Terminology for terminology

Hi all,

I have a question about the best terminology to use for terminology, which I suppose is meta-terminology, or maybe meta-semantics. Whatever we come up with should be added to the OpenHIE TS dictionary.

I’m looking for the best term for these 3 entities:

• "bucket for authored concepts, terms, clinical quality measures, and indicators" - e.g. SNOMED CT, ICD-10, LOINC, ICPC-2, etc. but also IMO interface terminology, World Development Indicators, or WHO Indicator & Measurement Registry (IMR). (I have been using “source”)
  • "group of concepts from one or more other sources of authored content" - ordered or unordered list of references to concepts/terms/measures/indicators, possibly with additional annotation or other metadata (I have been using “collection”)
  • "word/phrase that generically refers to both of the above" - it is useful to be able to generically refer to any list of concepts, whether a comprehensive list of original content or a small subset (not sure what works here?)
  • "word/phrase that generically refers to terms, concepts, clinical quality measures, and indicators" - (does “concept” cover all of these?)

Here is an initial list of candidate words/phrases with my attempt at definitions for each:

• For authored content
  • *source *- name for original, authored content, such as SNOMED, LOINC, etc., or IMO Interface Terminology, WHO Indicator Registry, etc.
  • codeset - ??
  • reference terminology - used as a reference, which often means original content (i.e. LOINC), but could also just mean the gold standard for a particular implementation (i.e. the Rwanda maternal-child health subset)
  • *dictionary *- list of concepts plus definitions; can be authoritative or not
  • *vocabulary *- same as dictionary??
  • registry - such as WHO Indicator Registry
  • For lists of references to concepts
  • collection - ordered or unordered list of concepts from one or more sources, with or without a specific use case and other annotation
  • value set - unordered list of concepts from a single source with a specific use case
  • subset - unordered list of concepts from a single source
  • For the individual phrases and their definitions
  • concept -
  • terminology -
  • *clinical quality measure *- count or summary of the data associated with a particular term
  • indicator - numerator plus denominator

Cheers,

Jon

This is from the CTS-2 About page (http://informatics.mayo.edu/cts2/index.php/About)

• Code Systems - organized collections of identifiers whose purpose is to signify intent or meaning. Sometimes known as Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS), a code system may be a:
    • code set - flat lists of code / phrase pairs.
    • term list - a set of words (or tokens) each of which has a unique definition when used in a specified setting or context
    • thesaurus - a (semi-) structured set of words and phrases whose purpose is to enable the search and navigation of information
    • classification system - a set of non-overlapping categories used to organize and aggregate data for some specific purpose
    • ontology - a description of some subset of reality
  • Value Sets - selected subsets of the codes, categories or entity descriptions from one or more code systems.
  • Maps - a formal set of rules that specifies relations between two value sets, typically drawn from two different code systems.
  • Concept Domains - placeholders in models of databases, messages or other representational forms. (Need definition of DEC) here.
···

Jonathan Payne, MS

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Jonathan Payne paynejd@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

I have a question about the best terminology to use for terminology, which I suppose is meta-terminology, or maybe meta-semantics. Whatever we come up with should be added to the OpenHIE TS dictionary.

• “bucket for authored concepts, terms, clinical quality measures, and indicators” - e.g. SNOMED CT, ICD-10, LOINC, ICPC-2, etc. but also IMO interface terminology, World Development Indicators, or WHO Indicator & Measurement Registry (IMR). (I have been using “source”)
  • “group of concepts from one or more other sources of authored content” - ordered or unordered list of references to concepts/terms/measures/indicators, possibly with additional annotation or other metadata (I have been using “collection”)
  • “word/phrase that generically refers to both of the above” - it is useful to be able to generically refer to any list of concepts, whether a comprehensive list of original content or a small subset (not sure what works here?)
  • “word/phrase that generically refers to terms, concepts, clinical quality measures, and indicators” - (does “concept” cover all of these?)

Here is an initial list of candidate words/phrases with my attempt at definitions for each:

• For authored content
  • *source *- name for original, authored content, such as SNOMED, LOINC, etc., or IMO Interface Terminology, WHO Indicator Registry, etc.
  • codeset - ??
  • reference terminology - used as a reference, which often means original content (i.e. LOINC), but could also just mean the gold standard for a particular implementation (i.e. the Rwanda maternal-child health subset)
  • collection - ordered or unordered list of concepts from one or more sources, with or without a specific use case and other annotation
  • value set - unordered list of concepts from a single source with a specific use case
  • concept -
  • terminology -
  • *clinical quality measure *- count or summary of the data associated with a particular term

Cheers,

Jon

I am resending Jonathon’s email for review and feedback, please take a few minutes to review prior to our Community Call on Wednesday, September 25. Thank you.

···

Hi all,

• “bucket for authored concepts, terms, clinical quality measures, and indicators” - e.g. SNOMED CT, ICD-10, LOINC, ICPC-2, etc. but also IMO interface terminology, World Development Indicators, or WHO Indicator & Measurement Registry (IMR). (I have been using “source”)
  • “group of concepts from one or more other sources of authored content” - ordered or unordered list of references to concepts/terms/measures/indicators, possibly with additional annotation or other metadata (I have been using “collection”)
  • “word/phrase that generically refers to both of the above” - it is useful to be able to generically refer to any list of concepts, whether a comprehensive list of original content or a small subset (not sure what works here?)
  • “word/phrase that generically refers to terms, concepts, clinical quality measures, and indicators” - (does “concept” cover all of these?)

• For authored content
  • codeset - ??
  • concept -
  • terminology -

Cheers,

Jon

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Terminology Services” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Hi Jonathan - For the first entity you describe, I tend to use “controlled vocabulary” (or controlled terminology) as the term to describe both reference standards and other proprietary
vocabularies that have the same properties (concept orientation, etc). That’s the term Cimino used in the Desiderata, so it’s what I picked up.

Thanks,

···

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Jonathan Payne
paynejd@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

• “bucket for authored concepts, terms, clinical quality measures, and indicators”- e.g. SNOMED CT, ICD-10, LOINC, ICPC-2, etc. but also IMO interface terminology, World Development Indicators, or WHO Indicator & Measurement Registry (IMR).
    (I have been using “source”)
  • “group of concepts from one or more other sources of authored content”
    • ordered or unordered list of references to concepts/terms/measures/indicators, possibly with additional annotation or other metadata
      (I have been using “collection”)
  • “word/phrase that generically refers to both of the above” - it is useful to be able to generically refer to any list of concepts, whether a comprehensive list of original content or a small subset
    (not sure what works here?)
  • “word/phrase that generically refers to terms, concepts, clinical quality measures, and indicators” -
    (does “concept” cover all of these?)

• For authored content
    • codeset - ??
    • concept -
    • terminology -

Cheers,

Jon

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Terminology Services” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to

terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Here’s my two cents:

“bucket for authored concepts, terms, clinical quality measures, and indicators” I would suggest “Code System” as the closest HL7 word for concepts, terms and their associated relationships. “Reference Terminology” doesn’t work, since
an “Interface Terminology” could certainly be an original, authored terminological artifact. The problem is that I don’t see measures and indicators as pure “terminology” artifacts. These are more complex objects with terminological components but also rules,
computation definitions, etc. I am unaware of any industry standard names, other than “indicators and measures”. “Source” or “Terminology Source” would be possible, but these is overloaded with a lot of casual meaning.

**“group of concepts from one or more other sources of authored content”**HL7’s “Value Set” name seems to fit the bill for this. Value Sets can include Concepts from more than one Code System.

**“word/phrase that generically refers to both of the above”**This starts to get hard. See my issue regarding indicators above.

“word/phrase that generically refers to terms, concepts, clinical quality measures, and indicators” I’m struggling to understand how this collective noun would be used. The ideas are really different. “Concept” should be limited to “a unit of thought
or meaning in an ontology/terminology/vocabulary”.

For more ideas, see the Glossary I posted early on.

Jack

On Behalf Of Jennifer Williams

···

I am resending Jonathon’s email for review and feedback, please take a few minutes to review prior to our Community Call on Wednesday, September 25. Thank you.

Hi all,

• “bucket for authored concepts, terms, clinical quality measures, and indicators”- e.g. SNOMED CT, ICD-10, LOINC, ICPC-2, etc. but also IMO interface terminology, World Development Indicators, or WHO Indicator & Measurement Registry (IMR).
    (I have been using “source”)
  • “group of concepts from one or more other sources of authored content” - ordered or unordered list of references to concepts/terms/measures/indicators, possibly with additional annotation or other metadata
    (I have been using “collection”)
  • “word/phrase that generically refers to both of the above” - it is useful to be able to generically refer to any list of concepts, whether a comprehensive list of original content or a small subset
    (not sure what works here?)
  • “word/phrase that generically refers to terms, concepts, clinical quality measures, and indicators” -
    (does “concept” cover all of these?)

• For authored content
  • source**- name for original, authored content, such as SNOMED, LOINC, etc., or IMO Interface Terminology, WHO Indicator Registry, etc.
  • codeset - ??
  • dictionary**- list of concepts plus definitions; can be authoritative or not
  • ***vocabulary ***- same as dictionary??
  • concept -
  • terminology -
  • ***clinical quality measure ***- count or summary of the data associated with a particular term

Cheers,

Jon

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Jack, I’ll see your 2 cents and raise you one penny more (remember when typewriter’s had a cent key?). My personal comments are not as important as us brainstorming on our own jargon, and settling on definitions we can work with and share outside the group for more clarity.

I am not a big fan of ‘code system’ as I (perhaps too emotionally) feel it leads us to forget that we are dealing with systems of concepts, and the relationships between concepts. We speak too easily of selecting or mapping codes when we are really doing things with concepts, along with their attributes and metadata, and the concept code, cui, is the handy currency we use to exchange and otherwise operate on concepts. People new to knowledge representation confuse concepts and their codes, and lose an appreciation of the former, because our language is not crisp.

Applying this concern to Jon’s good questions is difficult, and I think there may not be a universally accepted single answer to each question.

I am better with the ‘Authored’ bucket being call a Terminology System (and might use Ontology if complex relationships are incorporated) than Code System, and I feel Controlled Vocabulary is also accurate, but is more an operational or functional description of how the System operates. Unacceptable, but maybe accurate, would be Concept System.

The ‘Groups’ category does not specify that the members of the group are tightly related as all being valid answers to the same information question, so for me, Value Set is not a good label as I infer that role to Value Set. Collection works better as I feel it allows for a perhaps arbitrary gathering of concepts from one or more sources. I would suggest Value Set is a real good label for a Collection that comprises the valid answers to a particular question - maybe another bucket for Jon. When concepts are not specified as being answers, there may not be an a priori expectation that they are answers and not questions. For example, and this is admittedly a superficial example, Hemoglobin could be the answer to what lab tests were done, or Hemoglobin could be a question to which a numeric result is the answer.

When we speak generically, ‘terminology’ works fine for most situations I have been in. I would not upper case the ‘t’ when using it in this context.

Thanks,

David

···

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:39:20 PM UTC-4Jack, paynejd wrote:

Hi all,

• For authored content
  • codeset - ??
  • concept -
  • terminology -

Cheers,

Jon