Supporting GLNs and GS1

Hi all,
Can we please queue up a discussion of adding/supporting Global Location Numbers (GLNs) as part of a facility registry. GLNs are part of the GS1 standard that is being used in a lot of supply-chain use cases.

It would be great if we can figure out how to ease the management of the GLNs as a key requirement for FRs going forward. This is coming up in Tanzania and Ethiopia, for example.

Cheers,

-carl

Thanks, Carl – this is a great topic suggestion. :slight_smile:

http://www.gs1ca.org/files/GLN_Frequently_Asked_Questions.pdf

Here is the GLN FAQ page that GS1 Canada set up prior to the GLN “sunrise” date for Canada’s healthcare system (Dec 31, 2010). A friend and colleague of mine, Paul Faguy, is a retired GS1 Canada executive and was involved in that process domestically. He may be able to advise the folks in TZ (if they’re interested in help with this process). I’d be happy to make introductions.

Warmest regards and happy holidays,

Derek.

···

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Carl Leitner litlfred@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,
Can we please queue up a discussion of adding/supporting Global Location Numbers (GLNs) as part of a facility registry. GLNs are part of the GS1 standard that is being used in a lot of supply-chain use cases.

It would be great if we can figure out how to ease the management of the GLNs as a key requirement for FRs going forward. This is coming up in Tanzania and Ethiopia, for example.

Cheers,

-carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Facility Registry (OHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to facility-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Derek Ritz

This email may contain confidential information intended only for the recipient. If you receive it by accident, please delete it.

FWIW, the OpenLMIS team met with members of USAID, JSI (ZM and TZ), PATH (Brian), GS1 experts from RC Partners, Intellicog and others to discuss incorporation of GS1 standards, including GLN, into OpenLMISv3.

Brian had some notions about how you’d incorporate the GLNs into the Facility Registry (and also, perhaps, the Terminology Service).

Some notes from that meeting are here:

https://openlmis.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=104726625

Much more was discussed, however, and I think many of us simply haven’t had time to add our takeaways, so just FYI for now.

···

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 8:05:36 AM UTC-8, Carl Leitner wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

I’ve been thinking a lot about global unique ids for places for a long time but hadn’t heard of gln. Is this a proprietary standard with cost implications? Could I for example assign this to water points that I’m adding to open street map and other service delivery points?

···

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:55 AM Jake Watson jake.w.watson@gmail.com wrote:

FWIW, the OpenLMIS team met with members of USAID, JSI (ZM and TZ), PATH (Brian), GS1 experts from RC Partners, Intellicog and others to discuss incorporation of GS1 standards, including GLN, into OpenLMISv3.

Brian had some notions about how you’d incorporate the GLNs into the Facility Registry (and also, perhaps, the Terminology Service).

Much more was discussed, however, and I think many of us simply haven’t had time to add our takeaways, so just FYI for now.

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Facility Registry (OHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to facility-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Thanks for sharing this Jake. Very useful.

@all: Sorry, if I am missed this, but I haven’t seen this on the Agenda for the FR calls. I don’t see a schedule for 2017 yet. If nothing is scheduled yet, we could also have this on the next InterLinked Registry call scheduled for Feb 1 at 9am (I believe).

Cheers,

-carl

···

On Dec 20, 2016, at 7:55 PM, Jake Watson jake.w.watson@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

Hi All

I’m wondering if there would be any value on presenting the thinking and direciton on an implementers community call? Would be a nice way to share the “thinking” with the implementers network. Maybe phrasing it through “This is what we’ve been thinking and wanted to throw it out for comment or FYI” Thoughts?

···

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:48 PM, Carl Leitner litlfred@gmail.com wrote:

@all: Sorry, if I am missed this, but I haven’t seen this on the Agenda for the FR calls. I don’t see a schedule for 2017 yet. If nothing is scheduled yet, we could also have this on the next InterLinked Registry call scheduled for Feb 1 at 9am (I believe).

Cheers,

-carl

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

Regards
Carl Fourie

Senior Program Manager | Digital Health Division

Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl.fourie@jembi.org

Physical Address: Unit 3B, 5A-C, Tokai on Main, Main Road, Tokai, Cape Town, South Africa (Map Link)

Email Disclaimer:

This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail and then deleting same. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. Jembi Health Systems NPO, its subsidiaries and associated companies is not liable for the security of information sent by e-mail and accepts no liability of whatsoever nature for any loss, damage or expense resulting, directly or indirectly, from the access of this e-mail or any attachments hereto.

As an FYI there is availability to have this discussion on Monday, February 27 @10am EST.

**Jamie Thomas **|****Health Information Project Manager/Communications

Center for Biomedical Informatics

F447BFA7-64CF-416E-9382-5383D9F359EA[15].png

1101 West Tenth Street

Indianapolis, IN 46202

Tel 317-274-9218 | Fax 317-274-9305

Email: jt48@regenstrief.org | Skype: jamie.thomas5670 | Twitter: @RegenstriefGHI

www.regenstrief.org

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this message and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged
information and are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and
State laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information without the specific written consent of the person to whom the information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A general authorization for the release of medical
or other information is not sufficient for this purpose.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the original message. Any retention,
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

···

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:48 PM, Carl Leitner
litlfred@gmail.com wrote:

@all: Sorry, if I am missed this, but I haven’t seen this on the Agenda for the FR calls. I don’t see a schedule for 2017 yet. If nothing is scheduled yet, we could also have this on the next InterLinked Registry call scheduled for Feb 1 at 9am (I
believe).

Cheers,

-carl

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
facility-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
facility-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Regards
Carl Fourie

Senior Program Manager | Digital Health Division

Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl.fourie@jembi.org

Physical Address: Unit 3B, 5A-C, Tokai on Main, Main Road, Tokai, Cape Town, South Africa (Map Link)

Email Disclaimer:

• This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the
    author by replying to this e-mail and then deleting same. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. Jembi Health Systems NPO, its subsidiaries and associated companies is not liable for
    the security of information sent by e-mail and accepts no liability of whatsoever nature for any loss, damage or expense resulting, directly or indirectly, from the access of this e-mail or any attachments hereto.*

Hi Matt - we chatted about this today on our FR call. Here were a few of the key notes that might be helpful.

• The standard isn’t proprietary, but can have some costs to implement of course

• GS1 focuses on supply chain use cases, but there is nothing that would stop you from using a GLN for other types of nodes. One of the key components of it is that they are also commonly used for like identifying nursing stations, doors, or other more granular details within a location - likely overkill for your wells and osm example.

• It uses a check digit approach similar to the luhn algorithm we have used for other facility registry things.

• It seems easy enough to store this kind of ID in a facility registry, to promote interoperability and other uses… but some additional exploration about how they are created and managed would be important to consider.
    Here is some helpful links as well…

• http://www.gs1.org/docs/idkeys/GS1_Global_Location_Numbers.pdf

• http://www.gs1.org/docs/healthcare/GLN_Healthcare_Imp_Guide.pdf

• http://www.gs1.org/gln

Matt what are some of the other alternatives you have come across? For example we chatted quickly about things like what3words as well today.

Best,

Scott

···

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 11:37:21 PM UTC-6, mlberg wrote:

I’ve been thinking a lot about global unique ids for places for a long time but hadn’t heard of gln. Is this a proprietary standard with cost implications? Could I for example assign this to water points that I’m adding to open street map and other service delivery points?

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

Nice, Scott.

FWIW, the OpenLMIS team has also written up a GS1 primer here:
https://openlmis.atlassian.net/wiki/display/OP/GS1+Fundamentals

Our focus is how this applies to healthcare commodities, primarily, so YMMV.

···

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:28 PM Scott Teesdale steesdale@instedd.org wrote:

Hi Matt - we chatted about this today on our FR call. Here were a few of the key notes that might be helpful.

• The standard isn’t proprietary, but can have some costs to implement of course
  • GS1 focuses on supply chain use cases, but there is nothing that would stop you from using a GLN for other types of nodes. One of the key components of it is that they are also commonly used for like identifying nursing stations, doors, or other more granular details within a location - likely overkill for your wells and osm example.
  • It uses a check digit approach similar to the luhn algorithm we have used for other facility registry things.
  • It seems easy enough to store this kind of ID in a facility registry, to promote interoperability and other uses… but some additional exploration about how they are created and managed would be important to consider.

Matt what are some of the other alternatives you have come across? For example we chatted quickly about things like what3words as well today.

Best,

Scott

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Facility Registry (OHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/facility-registry/UqmsAHu_xQU/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to facility-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Jake – that is a great summary page; thanks for sharing it. :slight_smile:
In my view, it would be very smart for us to leverage the ability in our OpenHIE facility data model (the CSD schema) to maintain and manage alternate IDs.In this way, any site of care that is also a stocking point (which will be almost all of them) could cross reference its MOH-assigned identifier to the GS1 identifier. In so doing, the site would elegantly support supply chain transaction processing workflows without requiring a sociotechnically awkward re-setting of their existing ID structure. @Scott… perhaps a guidance document on how to do this would be a good work item for our Facility Registry (or ILR) community to take on. :wink:

My $0.02…

Derek.

···

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Jake Watson jake.w.watson@gmail.com wrote:

Nice, Scott.

Best,

Scott

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups “Facility Registry (OHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/facility-registry/UqmsAHu_xQU/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to facility-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Derek Ritz

This email may contain confidential information intended only for the recipient. If you receive it by accident, please delete it.

Indeed awesome summary Jake! Thanks for sharing

···

Nice, Scott.

Best,

Scott

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

Derek Ritz

Thanks, Jake. Agree, super helpful. We will look for how we can cross post this and how we can expand our documentation for IDs from the OpenHIE end to include some of these details.

• Scott
···

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Matt Berg mlberg@gmail.com wrote:

Indeed awesome summary Jake! Thanks for sharing
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 4:21 PM Derek Ritz derek.ritz@gmail.com wrote:

Jake – that is a great summary page; thanks for sharing it. :slight_smile:
In my view, it would be very smart for us to leverage the ability in our OpenHIE facility data model (the CSD schema) to maintain and manage alternate IDs.In this way, any site of care that is also a stocking point (which will be almost all of them) could cross reference its MOH-assigned identifier to the GS1 identifier. In so doing, the site would elegantly support supply chain transaction processing workflows without requiring a sociotechnically awkward re-setting of their existing ID structure. @Scott… perhaps a guidance document on how to do this would be a good work item for our Facility Registry (or ILR) community to take on. :wink:

My $0.02…

Derek.

Nice, Scott.

Best,

Scott

Hi all,

Cheers,

-carl

Derek Ritz

Scott Teesdale
Project Manager - InSTEDD

Email: steesdale@instedd.org

Social: Twitter / LinkedIn