SHR test data : deletion vs retirement

Hi everyone,

I know that I’ve been discussing this task for the past fortnight, but I would like to raise it one last time, mostly due to the significance of what i’m trying to do.

We’ve come up with queries to identify test data in the SHR, and are in a position to delete them. But my worry is that while deleting this stuff is easy, it’s not quite as easy to bring them back, meaning that if we do something wrong on the production database, it will not be easy to repair.

An alternative I discussed with Ryan is the possibility of retiring test data instead of simply deleting them. If retired, restoring them would be far more a simple task.

Retiring test data also satisfies our immediate requirement, which is to be able to accurately measure valid patient data in the production database.

As i’m writing this, I’ve got my finger on the button which, if pressed, will delete the test data from our system. Shall I press it, or shall we just retire them,thereby preventing the possibility of any future errors ?

Best regards,

Suranga

Hi all,

Just to add some more information. Suranga, is talking specifically about the Rwandan HIE here and the OpenMRS-based SHR that is currently running in production there.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:38 AM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org wrote:

Hi everyone,

I know that I’ve been discussing this task for the past fortnight, but I would like to raise it one last time, mostly due to the significance of what i’m trying to do.

We’ve come up with queries to identify test data in the SHR, and are in a position to delete them. But my worry is that while deleting this stuff is easy, it’s not quite as easy to bring them back, meaning that if we do something wrong on the production database, it will not be easy to repair.

An alternative I discussed with Ryan is the possibility of retiring test data instead of simply deleting them. If retired, restoring them would be far more a simple task.

Retiring test data also satisfies our immediate requirement, which is to be able to accurately measure valid patient data in the production database.

As i’m writing this, I’ve got my finger on the button which, if pressed, will delete the test data from our system. Shall I press it, or shall we just retire them,thereby preventing the possibility of any future errors ?

Best regards,

Suranga

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Ryan Crichton

Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Thanks Ryan.

I think for the questions around deleting after retiring they would still stand. And I would suggest we think about the features I’ve highlighted for the future versions of the SHR too.

Cheers

···

Carl Fourie

Assistant Director of Programs, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl@jembi.org

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi all,

Just to add some more information. Suranga, is talking specifically about the Rwandan HIE here and the OpenMRS-based SHR that is currently running in production there.

Cheers,

Ryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:38 AM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org wrote:

Hi everyone,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Sure, it is still relevant, I was just giving added context. :slight_smile:

Ryan

···

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org wrote:

Thanks Ryan.

I think for the questions around deleting after retiring they would still stand. And I would suggest we think about the features I’ve highlighted for the future versions of the SHR too.

Cheers

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi everyone,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

How about ‘voiding’ the entries rather than retiring?

I support the idea of never deleting data from a production database, and luckily OpenMRS has these features so that deleting should never have to be an option.

Cheers

Hannes

···

On 19 May 2014 10:19, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Ryan

Hannes Venter

Senior Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27 73 276 2848 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: venter.johannes

E-mail: hannes@jembi.org

Thanks Ryan.

Cheers

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi everyone,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Hi everyone,

My apologies, this mail was supposed to go to the RHIE list, and not here. I guess this is why it’s never a good idea to send emails just before you go to sleep. For the RHIE specific conversation, I will re-post it to the correct list. But do feel free to continue the SHR specific conversation here :slight_smile:

···

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Hannes Venter hannes@jembi.org wrote:

How about ‘voiding’ the entries rather than retiring?

I support the idea of never deleting data from a production database, and luckily OpenMRS has these features so that deleting should never have to be an option.

Cheers

Hannes

On 19 May 2014 10:19, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Ryan

Hannes Venter

Senior Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27 73 276 2848 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: venter.johannes

E-mail: hannes@jembi.org

Thanks Ryan.

Cheers

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi everyone,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton