SHR Discussions

Some of Hannes’ thoughts for us to discuss round.

···

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Subject: SHR Discussions
To: Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org, Linda Taylor linda@jembi.org, Kari Schoonbee kari@jembi.org, Pascal Brandt pascal@jembi.org, Wayne Chelliah wayne@jembi.org

Cc: Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org

Hi All,

I just wanted to touch base a bit with you guys back home regarding our current thinking about the SHR.

As mentioned on the call, this IHE work has had a tremendous impact on the way we’re thinking about it. Some important points we want to take forward this week:

• It seems a bit early to look at SHR implementations, we need to take a step back and look at it from a higher level (i.e. design, requirements, “what is an shr”)

– This has implications for the plan you sent us @Carl, i.e. the thinking is the “instantiate tool” section maybe needs to be moved a bit later (if done at all depending on design decisions…).

• We’ve had a fantastic experience with XDS, and are currently thinking that an XDS repo using a document based data model is the way to go. But of course this has loads of implications that needs to be discussed, and this option is of course needs to be considered to begin with.

Ryan’s added discussion points section on the wiki on https://github.com/jembi/OpenSHR/wiki/Shared-Health-Record-Requirement-and-Feature-List

Feel free to read through this to get a sense of the questions we’re taking forward to regenstrief.

Please let us know if there any further questions any of you want us to raise, or if you want to arrange a “touch base” call at some point if you want to discuss anything prior to the Wednesday meeting. If not, then we’ll update everyone next week.

Hope all is going well back home :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Hannes

Hannes Venter
Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 73 276 2848 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: venter.johannes
E-mail: hannes@jembi.org

Carl Fourie
Assistant Director of Programs, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl@jembi.org

Hi,

I think the current questions being asked are exactly right. Personally, I love the idea of a distributed, document-based solution that uses XDS and CDA and replicates asynchronously. Distribution has a lot of obvious advantages like no single point of failure and good performance for local data. A single (almost perfectly up-to-date and complete) node will also probably be necessary (I guess we can think of this as the master repository) for some of the stake holders (researchers and governments) to mine useful data offline without impacting on the transactional performance.

Regarding the mention of clinical decision support (CDS). I think you’re correct that the actual SHR doesn’t need to contain any business logic that implements CDS, but it may need to facilitate the CDS process by providing an API for accessing information relevant to CDS. This page on the IHE wiki mentions a few things about CDS, but it’s very old. I’ve contacted Keith Boone asking if there’s any more recent information available. Since CDS is a personal interest of mine, I’ll do a bit of research into this and feed back where I can.

Ciao,

Pascal

p.s. Also see the following Etherpad notes:

OpenSHR: http://notes.jembi.org/openshr-discussion

OpenHIM: http://notes.jembi.org/openhim-discussion

···

On 5 February 2013 15:22, Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org wrote:

Some of Hannes’ thoughts for us to discuss round.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Subject: SHR Discussions
To: Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org, Linda Taylor linda@jembi.org, Kari Schoonbee kari@jembi.org, Pascal Brandt pascal@jembi.org, Wayne Chelliah wayne@jembi.org

Cc: Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org

Hi All,

I just wanted to touch base a bit with you guys back home regarding our current thinking about the SHR.

As mentioned on the call, this IHE work has had a tremendous impact on the way we’re thinking about it. Some important points we want to take forward this week:

• It seems a bit early to look at SHR implementations, we need to take a step back and look at it from a higher level (i.e. design, requirements, “what is an shr”)

– This has implications for the plan you sent us @Carl, i.e. the thinking is the “instantiate tool” section maybe needs to be moved a bit later (if done at all depending on design decisions…).

• We’ve had a fantastic experience with XDS, and are currently thinking that an XDS repo using a document based data model is the way to go. But of course this has loads of implications that needs to be discussed, and this option is of course needs to be considered to begin with.

Ryan’s added discussion points section on the wiki on https://github.com/jembi/OpenSHR/wiki/Shared-Health-Record-Requirement-and-Feature-List

Feel free to read through this to get a sense of the questions we’re taking forward to regenstrief.

Please let us know if there any further questions any of you want us to raise, or if you want to arrange a “touch base” call at some point if you want to discuss anything prior to the Wednesday meeting. If not, then we’ll update everyone next week.

Hope all is going well back home :slight_smile:

Kind Regards

Hannes

Hannes Venter
Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 73 276 2848 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: venter.johannes
E-mail: hannes@jembi.org

Carl Fourie
Assistant Director of Programs, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl@jembi.org

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Pascal Brandt
Senio**r Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 84 827 9342 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: psbrandt
E-mail: pascal@jembi.org