SHR discussion call recording

Hi all,

We had a really excellent call yesterday around the SHR with input for multiple interested parties. We had experts from Regenstrief and Mohawk join in and some of our fellow RHEA colleges participating. I think it would be great for everyone interested to in the SHR to have a listen to the recording of this call. Its rather lengthly (2,5hr) but touches so may important aspects that it will be very valuable to listen to.

It can be found here: http://www.conferenceplayback.com/stream/21692653/44947901.mp3

This discussion adds some interesting points that has changed our thinking a bit with regard to the SHR. We will start today to makes some major changes and edits to the SHR documentation (found: ) to reflect these and to flesh the documentation out some more.

Please any any additional questions or comments or correction for the documentation pages will be highly beneficial.

Thanks all,

Ryan

···

Ryan Crichton

Senior Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Thank you Ryan and Hannes for putting together these documents and for sharing the audio recording of the meeting with those of us that were not able to attend. I listened to
the recording and it sounds like you had a very nice discussion regarding the SHR. Here are a couple of thoughts that came up in my mind while listening to the recording and reflecting
on our experience with building an HIE.

• It wasn’t clear to me from the recording as to what use cases the SHR needs to support. I always find it helpful to have specific use cases in mind when trying to come up
    with the right architecture of a system as the use cases help resolve which approach is the most appropriate among multiple alternatives. Knowing what type of clinical data we
    plan to store in the SHR and how that data will be accessed by various stakeholders will provide useful input; maybe it is just the case that everyone involved in the
    conversation already knows the answer to this question.
  • There seem to be some discrepancy in the conversation as to how different participants perceive what a document-based SHR is and what is a discrete SHR. It may help
    to try and define the meaning to make sure that the context is the same.
  • Using an ESB as the mediation layer and building additional functionality as services on the bus which utilized the transformation and routing capabilities of the
    bus for tying the services together ended up being a very good decision for us over the long term. Especially since we didn’t have clear requirements for the complete EHR from
    the beginning, having a flexible architecture allowed us over time to add additional functionality without having to change (too much) what was there already.
  • We followed the approach of a hybrid SHR that provided both an XDS repository (for static data) and a discrete data repository (for more granular and dynamic data) since
    each of the two approaches have their advantages and also because they don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

I look forward to listening to the next recording.

Thanks,
Odysseas

···

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:57:53 AM UTC-5, Ryan Crichton wrote:

Hi all,

We had a really excellent call yesterday around the SHR with input for multiple interested parties. We had experts from Regenstrief and Mohawk join in and some of our fellow RHEA colleges participating. I think it would be great for everyone interested to in the SHR to have a listen to the recording of this call. Its rather lengthly (2,5hr) but touches so may important aspects that it will be very valuable to listen to.

It can be found here: http://www.conferenceplayback.com/stream/21692653/44947901.mp3

This discussion adds some interesting points that has changed our thinking a bit with regard to the SHR. We will start today to makes some major changes and edits to the SHR documentation (found: ) to reflect these and to flesh the documentation out some more.

Please any any additional questions or comments or correction for the documentation pages will be highly beneficial.

Thanks all,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

E-mail: ry...@jembi.org

Hi Odysseas,

(This has been sitting in my drafts for a few days, apologies I only sent it out now)

Thanks for these valuable comments. I’ve tried to reply inline:

Ryan

···

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM, odysseas odysseas@sysnetint.com wrote:

Thank you Ryan and Hannes for putting together these documents and for sharing the audio recording of the meeting with those of us that were not able to attend. I listened to
the recording and it sounds like you had a very nice discussion regarding the SHR. Here are a couple of thoughts that came up in my mind while listening to the recording and reflecting

on our experience with building an HIE.

• It wasn’t clear to me from the recording as to what use cases the SHR needs to support. I always find it helpful to have specific use cases in mind when trying to come up

with the right architecture of a system as the use cases help resolve which approach is the most appropriate among multiple alternatives. Knowing what type of clinical data we
plan to store in the SHR and how that data will be accessed by various stakeholders will provide useful input; maybe it is just the case that everyone involved in the

conversation already knows the answer to this question.

This is a good point. I think some of us do have a use case in mind for what the SHR should do but making this explicit and understood by all is key. We have tried to address this in the call today (06/02/13). I hope this makes it clearer and drive our conversation going forward.

• There seem to be some discrepancy in the conversation as to how different participants perceive what a document-based SHR is and what is a discrete SHR. It may help

to try and define the meaning to make sure that the context is the same.

Yes, this seems to have been a point of confusion, we will add some text around this in the documentation and encourage everyone to have a read through this and ensure we are representing this correctly.

• Using an ESB as the mediation layer and building additional functionality as services on the bus which utilized the transformation and routing capabilities of the

bus for tying the services together ended up being a very good decision for us over the long term. Especially since we didn’t have clear requirements for the complete EHR from
the beginning, having a flexible architecture allowed us over time to add additional functionality without having to change (too much) what was there already.

Great to hear! It seems we are then on the correct track. Perhaps we could hear some more from you about

• We followed the approach of a hybrid SHR that provided both an XDS repository (for static data) and a discrete data repository (for more granular and dynamic data) since
    each of the two approaches have their advantages and also because they don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

It would be great to hear the architecture that you followed here to inform our work, perhaps also a topic for another call.

I look forward to listening to the next recording.

Thanks,
Odysseas

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:57:53 AM UTC-5, Ryan Crichton wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks all,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

E-mail: ry...@jembi.org

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Ryan Crichton

E-mail: ryan@jembi.org