Sending message to OpenHIE

Hi all,

I am Sara Fatima, I am working on a project for OpenMRS through GSoC 2014 program. In this project
the PAM profile is being used to send information about each patient that is registered in the OpenMRS system to OpenHIE end point. This will allow OpenMRS to integrate into an HIE more easily.

This is a work
in progress, currently we have completed generation of HL7 message for the patient which was created as per PAM profile. Now we want to send the message to OpenHIE. I will be using HAPI
to send the message. I need some details about how OpenHIE works to receive these messages. I would be glad if I could get some lead from OpenHIE community.

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima

Good Day Sara,

I am including 2 of my colleagues, Pierre Dane and Hannes Venter, who have actively implemented/investigated the PAM profile through the HIM to in the HIE. I’m hoping they will be able to give you some feedback and guidance.

Cheers

···

Carl Fourie

Assistant Director of Programs, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl@jembi.org

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Sara Fatima sara.mirza14@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

I am Sara Fatima, I am working on a project for OpenMRS through GSoC 2014 program. In this project
the PAM profile is being used to send information about each patient that is registered in the OpenMRS system to OpenHIE end point. This will allow OpenMRS to integrate into an HIE more easily.

This is a work
in progress, currently we have completed generation of HL7 message for the patient which was created as per PAM profile. Now we want to send the message to OpenHIE. I will be using HAPI
to send the message. I need some details about how OpenHIE works to receive these messages. I would be glad if I could get some lead from OpenHIE community.

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Sara,

Welcome to the OpenHIE community!

If you’re sending PAM messages, then you’re playing the role of a Point Of Care (PoC) system in the health information exchange.

OpenMRS is therefore acting as client that integrates with the larger exchange. This is usually a distributed role, for example clinic or hospital systems.

The “front-door” for a request from a PoC system into the HIE is always the Interoperability Layer (IL), so therefore your requests will be targeted there.

The IL will route and orchestrate the requests then to the relevant registry, in this case the Client Registry, which is the central patient database.

The following sequence diagram nicely illustrates the message flow:

https://wiki.ohie.org/display/documents/Register+patient+workflow

Steps 1 and 4 are therefore relevant to your scenario.

The software we use for the IL is called the OpenHIM and in order to send the message there, and would expose an appropriate endpoint to receive the request on.

We’ve generally been using the XML versions of the HL7v2 messages over REST on the OpenHIM, rather than the pipe-and-hat MLLP.

Hope this helps!

The two most relevant sub-communities for your work are the Client Registry and Interoperability Layer communities:

https://wiki.ohie.org/display/SUB/Client+Registry+Community

https://wiki.ohie.org/display/SUB/Interoperability+Layer+Community

and you may find it useful to get involved with these in particular as well.

Regards

Hannes

···

On 13 June 2014 07:48, Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org wrote:

Good Day Sara,

I am including 2 of my colleagues, Pierre Dane and Hannes Venter, who have actively implemented/investigated the PAM profile through the HIM to in the HIE. I’m hoping they will be able to give you some feedback and guidance.

Cheers

Hannes Venter

Senior Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27 73 276 2848 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: venter.johannes

E-mail: hannes@jembi.org

Carl Fourie

Hi all,

This is a work

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Hi Carl,

I’d like to learn more about the PAM implementation and the use case that it supports. Ryan and I discussed this previously, but wasn’t sure if it was moving forward. It would be informative for me to understand the motivating context(s) and use case(s). Perhaps we could catch up at some point.

Best,

Shaun

···

Carl Fourie

Hi all,

This is a work

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima

Hi Shaun

We had started with Pam and actually reverted to CDA. We have a new project that I think will be more PAM focused and happy to talk through it. How does week after next sound? Need to flesh project out with sponsor a bit next week.

Cheers Carl

···

Carl Fourie

Hi all,

This is a work

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima

Hi Hannes

Thanks for the information. It was a great help.

I was using MLLP as PAM profile supports MLLP.

···

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Hannes Venter hannes@jembi.org wrote:

Hi Sara,

If you’re sending PAM messages, then you’re playing the role of a Point Of Care (PoC) system in the health information exchange.

OpenMRS is therefore acting as client that integrates with the larger exchange. This is usually a distributed role, for example clinic or hospital systems.

The “front-door” for a request from a PoC system into the HIE is always the Interoperability Layer (IL), so therefore your requests will be targeted there.

The IL will route and orchestrate the requests then to the relevant registry, in this case the Client Registry, which is the central patient database.

The software we use for the IL is called the OpenHIM and in order to send the message there, and would expose an appropriate endpoint to receive the request on.

We’ve generally been using the XML versions of the HL7v2 messages over REST on the OpenHIM, rather than the pipe-and-hat MLLP.

Hope this helps!

The two most relevant sub-communities for your work are the Client Registry and Interoperability Layer communities:

Regards

Hannes

Good Day Sara,

Cheers

Hannes Venter

Carl Fourie

Hi all,

This is a work

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima

Hi Sara,

Perhaps we should try to support both MLLP (as the PAM profile suggests) as well as just posting the HL7 data is XML format to an HTTP endpoint (as is currently done in OpenHIE). This shouldn’t be much more work but we can make it a lower priority than the MLLP work as that is really the standard.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Sara Fatima sara.mirza14@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Hannes

Thanks for the information. It was a great help.

I was using MLLP as PAM profile supports MLLP.

Ryan Crichton

Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Hannes Venter hannes@jembi.org wrote:

Hi Sara,

Hope this helps!

Regards

Hannes

Good Day Sara,

Cheers

Hannes Venter

Carl Fourie

Hi all,

This is a work

Thanks & Regards

Sara Fatima