Routine Reporting From HWR to HMIS

Carl –
We haven’t had much opportunity to talk about the direction and messaging of HMIS. While I can’t speak for DHIS2, I think you should go ahead and just use the DHIS2 REST API for this country for now.
We have a pending discussion about the role of an indicator registry in the scheme of things. This would provide a common way to distribute uniform definitions of indicators. Some of these would map to (numerator and denominator) data elements which would be linked to the terminology service; some of these would be descriptions of calculations involving indicators. Available disaggregations would be defined in the indicator registry as well, and would evaluate down to data elements similarly. The goal would be indicator pull or push from the data sources into the data warehouse based on metadata stored in the indicator and terminology registries rather than writing queries. Of couse, manual entry would remain one source of data for the data warehouse, and the DHIS2 AVR capability would be one way to get it out; it may be helpful to think of DHIS2 as fulfulling multiple actor roles in the HIE rather than as a monolithic product. There are many benefits at the funding source and implementing partner level to having a common indicator registry that permits reuse of indicators and separation of nomenclature and formatting from definition and extraction. It will also close the loop between defining data elements necessary to calculate indicators and determining where those elements are coming from. All of this relates to work that was done with SDMX and the WHO indicator registry and could provide us with a standards-based approach to both data and metadata.

Kayode – hi, hope you’re doing well.

Saludos, Roger

···

In preparation for the deployment of a Health Worker Registry (HWR) compliant with the CSD profile, we have recently received some routine reporting requirements (below).

For this country, there is already a DHIS2 instance running at a national scale. Here is one approach, that I would appreciate your thoughts on:

• Share needed meta-data elements as SVS files. Note: Bob has already provided a way to transform this into a DHIS2 data set.
  • Write the needed report as CSD stored functions and publish them to the HWR. These stored function would produce the .DXF files for DHIS2
  • DHIS2 would poll the HWR on quarterly/bi-annual basis to get the current reported data
  • Needed charts/graphs could be developed in DHIS2 using the reported data.
  • DHIS2 would handle authorization of who can view the specific reports/data sets

Any issues with this approach in general?

Looking at the reports, in particular 1.h, I notice that we may some “disaggregators” – Male and Female. If I recall, this is bit of a pain in the DHIS2 setup as we would need to know the UID for each of the disaggregators.

As an aside, I am not sure how 1.d, 1.e and 1.f are supposed to be calculated form HWR data exclusively, as the data is not there. But that is another matter.

In any case, I think that this is a useful to illustrate the potential data flow from a HWR to an HMIS.

Cheers,

-carl

IntraHealth International Inc.

Normal

false
false
false

EN-US
JA
AR-SA

1. following reports be made available to authorized users only:

a. Quarterly total number of workforce by cadre, facility, location, and sex.

b. Quarterly Total Number of Expected Retirements by Facility

c. Quarterly Total Number of registered and valid licenses to practice healthcare delivery

d. Quarterly total number of filled vacant positions that are approved, by facility

e. Quarterly Total Projected Expenditures for Human Resources By Facility

f. Biannual Total Number of Graduates in production by Profession and by corresponding Institution

g. Biannual Geographic distribution of total number of facility

h. Quarterly Geographic Distribution (by sub national level) of Male and Female Employees

1. following reports be made available to anyone:

b. Quarterly Total Number of registered and valid licenses to practice healthcare delivery

c. Quarterly total number of filled vacant positions that are approved, by facility

d. Quarterly Total Projected Expenditures for Human Resources By Facility

e. Biannual Total Number of Graduates in production by Profession and by corresponding Institution

f. Biannual Geographic distribution of total number of facility

g. Quarterly Geographic Distribution (by sub national level) of Male and Female Employees

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Jun 10, 2014 12:57 PM

To: “open-hmis@googlegroups.com” , Agbonkhese
Oaiya , Odusote Kayode , Johan Ivar Sæbø , Bob Jolliffe , Jerome Shaguy

Subject: Routine Reporting From HWR to HMIS

Hi All,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Open HMIS” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to open-hmis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Roger,

There is one issue with using the DHIS2 Rest API. At the moment, the HWR is very much a “dumb” service, in that it does it only responds to “Find Matching Services” requests and initiates the “Query for Updated Services.” I really like it being dumb,
and I am not too keen to introduce new business logic directly on the OpenInfoMan to start submitting data to DHIS2. I would much prefer that it simply make the needed data available and let it be hit by another service.

One option is, I suppose, is a cron-job mechanism on the IL to:

• request data for one report from HWR
  • submit data to DHIS2 using the restful interface

Another option is a DHIS2 app to handle the request of data from the HWR. In this case, DHIS2 doesn’t really care that it is a HWR. We had some similar use cases for iHRIS-DHIS2 arise in the iHRIS+DHIS2 interoperability workshop in Liberia.

@Johan, Bob: can you comment on what’s going on in the app front?

Cheers,

-carl

···

On Jun 10, 2014, at 2:13 PM, r.friedman@mindspring.com wrote:

Carl –

We haven't had much opportunity to talk about the direction and messaging of HMIS.  While I can't speak for DHIS2, I think you should go ahead and just use the DHIS2 REST API for this country for now. 

We have a pending discussion about the role of an indicator registry in the scheme of things.  This would provide a common way to distribute uniform definitions of indicators.  Some of these would map to (numerator and denominator) data elements which

would be linked to the terminology service; some of these would be descriptions of calculations involving indicators. Available disaggregations would be defined in the indicator registry as well, and would evaluate down to data elements similarly. The goal
would be indicator pull or push from the data sources into the data warehouse based on metadata stored in the indicator and terminology registries rather than writing queries. Of couse, manual entry would remain one source of data for the data warehouse,
and the DHIS2 AVR capability would be one way to get it out; it may be helpful to think of DHIS2 as fulfulling multiple actor roles in the HIE rather than as a monolithic product. There are many benefits at the funding source and implementing partner level
to having a common indicator registry that permits reuse of indicators and separation of nomenclature and formatting from definition and extraction. It will also close the loop between defining data elements necessary to calculate indicators and determining
where those elements are coming from. All of this relates to work that was done with SDMX and the WHO indicator registry and could provide us with a standards-based approach to both data and metadata.

Kayode – hi, hope you’re doing well.

Saludos, Roger

In preparation for the deployment of a Health Worker Registry (HWR) compliant with the CSD profile, we have recently received some routine reporting requirements (below).

For this country, there is already a DHIS2 instance running at a national scale. Here is one approach, that I would appreciate your thoughts on:

• Share needed meta-data elements as SVS files. Note: Bob has already provided a way to transform this into a DHIS2 data set.
  • Write the needed report as CSD stored functions and publish them to the HWR. These stored function would produce the .DXF files for DHIS2
  • DHIS2 would poll the HWR on quarterly/bi-annual basis to get the current reported data
  • Needed charts/graphs could be developed in DHIS2 using the reported data.
  • DHIS2 would handle authorization of who can view the specific reports/data sets

Any issues with this approach in general?

Looking at the reports, in particular 1.h, I notice that we may some “disaggregators” – Male and Female. If I recall, this is bit of a pain in the DHIS2 setup as we would need to know the UID for each of the disaggregators.

As an aside, I am not sure how 1.d, 1.e and 1.f are supposed to be calculated form HWR data exclusively, as the data is not there. But that is another matter.

In any case, I think that this is a useful to illustrate the potential data flow from a HWR to an HMIS.

Cheers,

-carl

0 0 1 192 1099 IntraHealth International Inc. 9
2 1289 14.0
Normal 0 false false
false EN-US JA AR-SA

1. following reports be made available to authorized users only:

b. Quarterly Total Number of Expected Retirements by Facility

c. Quarterly Total Number of registered and valid licenses to practice healthcare delivery

d. Quarterly total number of filled vacant positions that are approved, by facility

e. Quarterly Total Projected Expenditures for Human Resources By Facility

f. Biannual Total Number of Graduates in production by Profession and by corresponding Institution

g. Biannual Geographic distribution of total number of facility

h. Quarterly Geographic Distribution (by sub national level) of Male and Female Employees

1. following reports be made available to anyone:

b. Quarterly Total Number of registered and valid licenses to practice healthcare delivery

c. Quarterly total number of filled vacant positions that are approved, by facility

d. Quarterly Total Projected Expenditures for Human Resources By Facility

e. Biannual Total Number of Graduates in production by Profession and by corresponding Institution

f. Biannual Geographic distribution of total number of facility

g. Quarterly Geographic Distribution (by sub national level) of Male and Female Employees

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Jun 10, 2014 12:57 PM

To: “open-hmis@googlegroups.com
, Agbonkhese Oaiya , Odusote Kayode
, Johan Ivar Sæbø , Bob Jolliffe , Jerome Shaguy

Subject: Routine Reporting From HWR to HMIS

Hi All,–

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Open HMIS” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
open-hmis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout