Pharmacovigilance

Pharmacovigilance is the big formal word for “drug safety”. WHO has just released a publicly available site that exposes a global database of adverse drug reactions (ADR) gleaned from the individual case safety reports (ICSR) submitted to the national drug authorities of 110+ countries. The database includes information on over 100k different drugs.

Through OpenHIE’s support (and implementation in TZ) for immunization workflows we find ourselves getting into medications management. In TZ, for example, we capture adverse vaccine reactions and log them in the POS (in this case, the immunization register). This new WHO service opens up two opportunities which I believe are worth exploring:

1. the chance to log ADRs to the WHO database where they are captured in OpenHIE
  2. the opportunity to use this global database to improve medication management workflows being executed thru OpenHIE transactions by adding a step to look for drug-to-drug or drug-allergy interactions.

Information about the new WHO site can be found here: http://www.who.int/medicines/news/glob_pharmvig_database_media/en/.

Derek.

Hi all.

I take back my recommendation #2. I have explored the database a bit. The database reports ADRs but does not provide information helpful to doing drug-to-drug or drug-allergy interaction analyses.

DJ

···

On Monday, 20 April 2015 09:10:43 UTC-4, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) wrote:

Pharmacovigilance is the big formal word for “drug safety”. WHO has just released a publicly available site that exposes a global database of adverse drug reactions (ADR) gleaned from the individual case safety reports (ICSR) submitted to the national drug authorities of 110+ countries. The database includes information on over 100k different drugs.

Through OpenHIE’s support (and implementation in TZ) for immunization workflows we find ourselves getting into medications management. In TZ, for example, we capture adverse vaccine reactions and log them in the POS (in this case, the immunization register). This new WHO service opens up two opportunities which I believe are worth exploring:

1. the chance to log ADRs to the WHO database where they are captured in OpenHIE
  2. the opportunity to use this global database to improve medication management workflows being executed thru OpenHIE transactions by adding a step to look for drug-to-drug or drug-allergy interactions.

Information about the new WHO site can be found here: http://www.who.int/medicines/news/glob_pharmvig_database_media/en/.

Derek.

Derek,

How are the entries coded? MedDRA?

Jack

···

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 5:39:31 PM UTC-4, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) wrote:

Hi all.

I take back my recommendation #2. I have explored the database a bit. The database reports ADRs but does not provide information helpful to doing drug-to-drug or drug-allergy interaction analyses.

DJ

Derek.

Sorry Jack, but I have no idea. I spelunked around the database a bit; it is fairly easy to navigate. I’m sure you’d recognize the code set if you saw it… but I didn’t. :slight_smile:

DJ

Derek Ritz, P.Eng., CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

···

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient, par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

From: ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jack Bowie
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:33 PM
To: ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Pharmacovigilance

Derek,

Jack

Hi all.

DJ

1. the opportunity to use this global database to improve medication management workflows being executed thru OpenHIE transactions by adding a step to look for drug-to-drug or drug-allergy interactions.

Derek.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Derek,

Thanks, I’ll poke around.

On another topic, Paul, Shaun and I have been discussing the desire/need to have a “starter set” of terminologies available for OHIE. This is, of course, a challenging problem. One approach we have thought of is to base any recommendation around an implementation’s primary use-case rather than trying to be all things to all countries. We thought of your work on care pathways and wondered if you had a list of pathways (hope I’m using the right term) that could serve as our initial set of use-cases, e.g. maternal heath, Ebola, etc. Our hope is that we could then derive a set of recommended terminologies for each pathway and thus “back into” the more comprehensive set.

What do you think?

Jack

···

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

Sorry Jack, but I have no idea. I spelunked around the database a bit; it is fairly easy to navigate. I’m sure you’d recognize the code set if you saw it… but I didn’t. :slight_smile:

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient, par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

From: ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jack Bowie

Derek,

Jack

Hi all.

DJ

Derek.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Hi Jack.

I think backing into the terminology requirements from the ICP side would be a great idea. I’m happy to help with that and share insights/results from our explorations in that area. :slight_smile:

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

···

Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:27 PM
To: Derek Ritz (ecGroup)
Cc: ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com

Derek,

On another topic, Paul, Shaun and I have been discussing the desire/need to have a “starter set” of terminologies available for OHIE. This is, of course, a challenging problem. One approach we have thought of is to base any recommendation around an implementation’s primary use-case rather than trying to be all things to all countries. We thought of your work on care pathways and wondered if you had a list of pathways (hope I’m using the right term) that could serve as our initial set of use-cases, e.g. maternal heath, Ebola, etc. Our hope is that we could then derive a set of recommended terminologies for each pathway and thus “back into” the more comprehensive set.

What do you think?

Jack

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Derek,

Jack

Hi all.

DJ

1. the opportunity to use this global database to improve medication management workflows being executed thru OpenHIE transactions by adding a step to look for drug-to-drug or drug-allergy interactions.

Derek.

Hi all,

The SHR group is discussing creating a sort of consolidated CDA document that covers the main clinical use cases that we see in our environments. I’m sure this could also help identify or add to a set of key starter terminologies.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

Hi Jack.

I think backing into the terminology requirements from the ICP side would be a great idea. I’m happy to help with that and share insights/results from our explorations in that area. :slight_smile:

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:27 PM
To: Derek Ritz (ecGroup)
Cc: ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com

Derek,

What do you think?

Jack

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Derek,

Jack

Hi all.

DJ

Derek.

Ryan Crichton

Lead Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org