OpenHIM Mediator Sharing and Contribution

Hello,
I am new to the community but have been involved OpenHIE in general and OpenHIM(interoperability layer) in particular. I (with my team) have been engaged on development of BSC like automation system fo regional health bureau and after discussions and attending OpenHIE discussion event we took the initiative to develop integration with DHIS2 through OpenHIM by developing mediator. In short, can you clarify the following points:

1. Is sharing mediators considered contribution and if so how to add it to the mediators library?

2. Is there any guideline or any thing related that explains(giving emphasis to mediators reusability by other developers with similar goal) sharing mediators and using already existing mediators

Thank You.

3 Likes

Hi @haftamu.k, that’s great to hear, we welcome these types of contributions to the OpenHIM.
We have a page on the OpenHIM website listing public/community mediators: http://openhim.org/mediator-library

At this point, your mediator should be automatically listed here if it is on a public Github repo and follows the naming convention where the repo name starts with “openhim-mediator”.

We do encourage users to check the mediator library to see if there are any existing mediators that can be reused or adapted to suit their needs, before developing a new mediator.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Hi @daniel.futerman, yes that helped. once it is in public gitHub repo it shall be discover, following the naming conventions! That is nice. I did’t know that. It is good to know that there are things I can explore then. Its by luck that the mediator I am working on follows the naming convention(I was just exploring existing mediators and I thought to name the mediator with similar naming pattern). https://github.com/haftamuk/openhim-mediator-smis-dhis2-sync
May be the discovery scan is once a week or month, its not added in the library. By the way I am more of interested on how the community works in the mentioned points, I mean I am not insisting to add the mediator in the mediators list(its not even complete, Its just a work in progress)

So back to my main agenda. Can you point me to specifications of mediator development and principles(Or best practices or anything similar) to encourage mediator reusability. If there is nothing written we can discuss them all in here!

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks @haftamu.k I’ll look into the issue to see why the mediator isn’t displayed in the list, it’s usually synced periodically.

In terms of mediator specifications, we have a set of tutorials on mediator development that make use of a set of publicly available bootstrap mediators containing basic mediator content structure etc.: http://openhim.org/docs/tutorial/mediators/basic-scaffold. This page also has additional information on developing mediators: openhim.org/docs/dev-guide/developing-mediators/

3 Likes

@haftamu.k, We found a minor problem with how we display mediators on the Mediator Library page, this issue has been resolved and will be available on next update. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention

3 Likes

Thanks so much @daniel.futerman, however am sure you have engaged with GitHub - jembi/openhim-mediator-fhir-proxy: Provides fhir-to-fhir adaption and validation services, the unfortunate thing is that it can run perfect with mvn clean install however when we try to access it via browser on any configured port , it cant be accessed , with such error harif@sharif-HP:~/Documents/Tickets/openhim-mediator-fhir-proxy$ java -jar targe - Pastebin.com, can you help me with some pointers thanks cc @thabo.chiloane

Hi @sharfspace, that particular mediator is a little outdated, I’d suggest looking at the OpenHIM Mapping Mediator if you’re looking to support FHIR-based data exchange. There are a few examples in the docs and a new video tutorial demonstrating the setup and use of the mediator:

1 Like