OpenHIE Sandbox from an OpenHIE Implementers perspective

Hi all
On a previous mail Craig has posed some interesting questions (excerpt taken and pasted below) and one of them stems to the role of the OpenHIE Sandbox and how it can better be served here. I know that there is an open question in the sandbox community around what the revised vision is and I think there is a great time to get input from the implementers network as to what could the OpenHIE Sandbox do to better support you? @Jamie, @Ryan, @Pierre: hoping to get your inputs in here too.

Craig:
I feel that both of these are appropriate. I think it would be a big win for the implementer communities if we could demonstrate a clinical point of service system like OpenMRS interacting with OHIE as well as a handset application an software system like CommCare or OpenSRP. Each of
these have different workflows and benefits from interacting with OpenHIE. We’ll also be able to address offline interaction, syncing and data caching (if appropriate).

WRT
to the sandbox question I think this is something that we should definitely consider and we would want to unpack what the thinking is around here. Some of the previous discussions in the Sandbox community have been around what types of reference / demo features would be useful
for implementers to see and be of value. At this stage it has come down
to options around:
(i) A reference OpenHIE that exposes all the workflow endpoints that interested PoC’s can knock against to see how one could contribute towards being part of, say, a Maternal Use Case and
that shows how OHIE manages the data (showcasing the OHIE architecture in action)

(ii) A reference PoC that is able to consume and contribute to the OHIE workflows (showing how a PoC could leverage the OHIE functionality to advance its implementation or network of implementations)

How does this fit with what you were thinking?

Should we integrate with the Sandbox team to build a reference implementation of a point of service workflows in relation to the OpenHIE v1.0 release?

···

Regards
Carl Fourie

Senior Program Manager | Digital Health Division

Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl.fourie@jembi.org

Email Disclaimer:

This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail and then deleting same. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. Jembi Health Systems NPO, its subsidiaries and associated companies is not liable for the security of information sent by e-mail and accepts no liability of whatsoever nature for any loss, damage or expense resulting, directly or indirectly, from the access of this e-mail or any attachments hereto.

Hi - I like these suggestions from Craig it that captures well the perspective of our third focus group, point of service developers. Easy to reference technical documentation on the endpoints/workflows/etc. would be important here too, so a dev doesn’t have to hunt for it.

I would add that:

—> Make sure we have a call to action with the demo environment (e.g., Like what you see / have a question or new suggested workflow - click here – sends you over to this google group for example.)

—> Explore the feasibility of some sort of walk-through explanation or educational materials to be integrated with the demo experience. Maybe the OHIE 101 or component 101 videos. I say this realizing we may not have the resources, but I think a challenge we have is around the flexibility and potential perceived complexity of what an HIE can do. For a domain expert or implementer with less experience in a modular architecture, I think that can be really helpful.

• Scott
···

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 9:23:11 AM UTC-5, carl wrote:

Hi all
On a previous mail Craig has posed some interesting questions (excerpt taken and pasted below) and one of them stems to the role of the OpenHIE Sandbox and how it can better be served here. I know that there is an open question in the sandbox community around what the revised vision is and I think there is a great time to get input from the implementers network as to what could the OpenHIE Sandbox do to better support you? @Jamie, @Ryan, @Pierre: hoping to get your inputs in here too.

Craig:
I feel that both of these are appropriate. I think it would be a big win for the implementer communities if we could demonstrate a clinical point of service system like OpenMRS interacting with OHIE as well as a handset application an software system like CommCare or OpenSRP. Each of
these have different workflows and benefits from interacting with OpenHIE. We’ll also be able to address offline interaction, syncing and data caching (if appropriate).

WRT
to the sandbox question I think this is something that we should definitely consider and we would want to unpack what the thinking is around here. Some of the previous discussions in the Sandbox community have been around what types of reference / demo features would be useful
for implementers to see and be of value. At this stage it has come down
to options around:
(i) A reference OpenHIE that exposes all the workflow endpoints that interested PoC’s can knock against to see how one could contribute towards being part of, say, a Maternal Use Case and
that shows how OHIE manages the data (showcasing the OHIE architecture in action)

(ii) A reference PoC that is able to consume and contribute to the OHIE workflows (showing how a PoC could leverage the OHIE functionality to advance its implementation or network of implementations)

How does this fit with what you were thinking?

Should we integrate with the Sandbox team to build a reference implementation of a point of service workflows in relation to the OpenHIE v1.0 release?

Regards
Carl Fourie

Senior Program Manager | Digital Health Division

Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl....@jembi.org

Email Disclaimer:

This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail and then deleting same. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. Jembi Health Systems NPO, its subsidiaries and associated companies is not liable for the security of information sent by e-mail and accepts no liability of whatsoever nature for any loss, damage or expense resulting, directly or indirectly, from the access of this e-mail or any attachments hereto.