OpenHIE coordination group?

I agree.

···

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

I agree. Those names each express the two points that have been raised here. I’m happy with those.

Cheers,

Ryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Leadership” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-leadership+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Shaun J. Grannis, MD MS FACMI FAAFP
Biomedical Research Scientist, The Regenstrief Institute
Associate Professor, I.U. School of Medicine

Director, Indiana Center of Excellence in Public Health Informatics
410 West 10th Street, Suite 2000

Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 423-5523 (O)
(317) 423-5695 (F)

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Thomas, Jamie jt48@regenstrief.org wrote:

I agree with Carl. It sounds like the OHIE community is in need of the –architecture list now and then we can create an -implementation list when the need becomes
greater.

Jamie Thomas |Health Informatics Project Coordinator

Regenstrief Institute, Inc. |ph: 317.423.5670 | Skype: jamie.thomas5670|
jt48@regenstrief.org

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this message and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged information and are intended
solely for the use of the named addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and State laws prohibit you from
making further disclosure of such information without the specific written consent of the person to whom the information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A general authorization for the release of medical or other information is not
sufficient for this purpose.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

From: ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Carl Fourie
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 7:46 AM
To: ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com
Cc: Grannis, Shaun J; openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

Subject: Re: OpenHIE coordination group?

Hi Paul,

I think you nailed the names. I’d be happy to start with the -architecture list for now and as our implementations grow to more than 2 we can spool up the -implementers list.

Cheers,

Carl

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Paul Biondich pbiondic@regenstrief.org wrote:

In my experience, there’s a distinct need for implementation support, but not clear how much traffic that’d get yet.

That’s pretty distinct from what I’ve always envisioned as a openhie-architecture list. :slight_smile:

So, IMO, this conversation implies to me that:

1. We’re growing
  1. It’s probably time to go ahead and set up the -implementers and -architecture mailing lists. :slight_smile:

What’s even better, is that this came from you all. :slight_smile:

Everyone agree to move forward with both?

Here’s the great thing about being agile: if those mailing lists seem like too much, or don’t get appropriate traffic, we can just get rid of them later. :slight_smile:

Best,

-Paul

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi all,

As Derek pointed out our initial concern was that we need a forum to discuss the technical issue involving multiple sub-communities. This would be for handling things like discussion of the transaction OpenHIE should support as a whole
and other cross-cutting concerns between sub-communities. However, I also see the need for a place where implementers can bring their problems and questions to the table. These are two separate issues in my eyes.

@Scott, Github issues could work for discussing technical issues. I’d be happy to give that a try.

Cheers,

Ryan

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Scott Teesdale steesdale@instedd.org wrote:

+1 for an implementers list/group to help with coordination. I think as more locations express interest and start with an aspect of the sub-communities, organizing and coordinating between groups and will continue to grow as an issue.

Is there also potentially a need for a larger conversation around architecture and technical issues involving multiple OHIE sub-communities, that would be separate from coordinating implementation? This might be where github would be helpful.
From my experience, coordinating implementations is largely about managing a network of types of actors/stakeholders, timelines and processes where as cross-cutting technical concerns can benefit from open dialogues of content area experts to make recommendations
on best practices to be carried out in implementations.

Best,

Scott

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org wrote:

I think that is a good question to raise, maybe an “implementers” list is a grouping term for what I see being asked. Some of the scenarios I would like to see are:

1. Users are interested in getting started with the OHIE and not quite sure which community is for them?
  1. Where do we ask questions that may require multiple tools to be used to get the best fit (the Zimbabwe is a good example of an implementation that may span 3 communities)
  1. How-to’s and discussions around getting the OHIE towards a rapidly deployable system not just a set of deployable tools

Just my 2c

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Shaun Grannis sgrannis@gmail.com wrote:

+1 Carl/Ryan

In addition to implementation discussions, do we anticipate other types of cross-cutting issues?

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org wrote:

I’m agreeing with Ryan’s comments. I would venture to say we may want something along the lines of “ohie-implementers” that could field the discussions around the entire implementation process and the spinn off aspects from there.

Cheers,

Carl

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I think that number 1 would be the best option. Currently it seems to me that the purpose of the OpenHIE Leads list is for communication between just the community leads so perhaps it should be a closed list. Also its naming suggests that
it should only be used by OpenHIE community leads and perhaps prevents others from joining. A second more open list could be created for more general OpenHIE discussion and others external to the OpenHIE project could join this as well if they would like to
participate or have an interest in the OpenHIE project as a whole.

Currently, I don’t see a list there that we can use for those sort of discussions.

Cheers,

Ryan

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Thomas, Jamie jt48@regenstrief.org wrote:

I would like to ask whether we need another mailing list for cross-cutting concerns or whether we want to use one
that already exists? Who would be in this group? Is it the same group of people on the OHIE Leads list? Here are the mailing lists we currently use:

·
OpenHIE Announcements - This is a low volume (read: 1-3 emails a month), high membership list for people interested in following the progress of the OpenHIE community as a whole
(Open List w/ moderation)

·
OpenHIE Leads - T his group is made up of the subcommunity leads (e.g., Client Registry, Facility Registry, Provider Registry, Terminology Service, Shared Health Record, Interoperability Layer) who are operationally
focused and working to spearhead the development of each OpenHIE subcommunity. (Open List)

·
Subcommunity Mailing List - Client Registry, Facility Registry, Provider Registry, Terminology Service, Shared Health Record, Interoperability Layer
(All Open Lists)

·
Other Mailing Lists – IHE Standards, Sandbox (Open List)

I wonder whether…

1.   We want to create a working group mailing list for cross-cutting concerns and make the OHIE Leads mailing list closed.

1.    We want to keep the OHIE Leads mailing list open for anyone to join and have cross-cutting concerns posted there so topics can be brought directly to the leads and discussions can be had on monthly OHIE Lead

calls.

Thoughts?

Jamie Thomas
|Health Informatics Project Coordinator

Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
|ph: 317.423.5670 | Skype: jamie.thomas5670|
jt48@regenstrief.org

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this message and any files transmitted with it may contain
confidential and/or privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality protected by federal and state
laws. Federal regulations and State laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information without the specific written consent of the person to whom the information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A general authorization
for the release of medical or other information is not sufficient for this purpose.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the
original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Scott Teesdale
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:19 PM
Cc: Chris Ford;
openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com;
openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

The FR community have also found it helpful to use Github to detail and discuss specific technical issues or questions while maintaining an open and documented dialogue. (See: FRED
API Github
repository) May be a useful mechanism in this case as well.

• Scott

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org wrote:

+1 to the concept, and need, of a cross-cutting discussion list.

On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:51 AM, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi,

I’m just copying Chris’s response to the OpenHIE leadership group as it bounced due to permission. (I think the fact that we are struggling to find a mailing list to bring these
cross-cutting concerns on shows that we need some sort of overall OpenHIE mailing list :slight_smile: )

Ryan

From Chris Ford:

I think the creation of a mailing list to discuss OpenHIE as a whole is really important.

To me, the value proposition of OpenHIE is that it will be an integrated whole with great “usability” for implementing
countries. The core of OpenHIE being less about the individual components and much more about the interactions between them, and I think we should reflect that in our internal communications.

The two issues Ryan mentioned are good examples of a need for alignment across OpenHIE. Here are some others that
have come up in calls I’ve been on:

·
Deployment and operations - how will we get this thing into production, and keep it up once it’s there? What might production look like e.g. cloud, hosted by country etc.

·
Who are our target audience?

·
What are the use cases for the system (as opposed to individual components)?

·
What will the shared protocols between components look like? SOAP, REST, something else?

Some of these questions have been asked on individual communities, and been given helpful answers by OpenHIE leadership,
but without a central mailing list to distribute the responses, the questions are going to come up again and again.

The interoperability layer community has talked about some of these challenges, but they are genuinely cross-cutting
concerns that need to be baked into all the constituant parts of the system, and can’t be solved at a single point.

Cheers,

Chris

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Chris Ford christophertford@gmail.com wrote:

I think the creation of a mailing list to discuss OpenHIE as a whole is really important.

To me, the value proposition of OpenHIE is that it will be an integrated whole with great “usability” for implementing countries. The core of OpenHIE being less about the individual
components and much more about the interactions between them, and I think we should reflect that in our internal communications.

The two issues Ryan mentioned are good examples of a need for alignment across OpenHIE. Here are some others that have come up in calls I’ve been on:

• Deployment and operations - how will we get this thing into production, and keep it up once it’s there? What might production look like e.g. cloud, hosted by country etc.
  • Who are our target audience?
  • What are the use cases for the system (as opposed to individual components)?
  • What will the shared protocols between components look like? SOAP, REST, something else?
    Some of these questions have been asked on individual communities, and been given helpful answers by OpenHIE leadership, but without a central mailing list to distribute the responses,
    the questions are going to come up again and again.

The interoperability layer community has talked about some of these challenges, but they are genuinely cross-cutting concerns that need to be baked into all the constituant parts
of the system, and can’t be solved at a single point.

Cheers,

Chris

On 14 June 2013 17:48, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks few weeks in the Interoperability Layer community and the Shared Health Record community we have been feeling like there is need for some overall coordination
discussions within OpenHIE. Currently there isn’t a forum to bring up some overall coordination concerns that we have identified. Perhaps, there is space for creating a OpenHIE coordination mailing list to discuss these sort of concerns.

For example, here are some of the items that we would want to bring up in such a group:

• We believe that we need to come up with some overall definition of how the components that make up OpenHIE are expected to work together. Ie. what use cases can OpenHIE expect to support as a whole, what interaction between the different components is expected
    and should be supported. We think this is essential to ensuring that we all develop or specify interfaces that are in line with our overall goal.
  • Discussion has emerged around whether we should focus efforts into whether components should be able to be deployed standalone or is it expected that most of the time these components will be deployed within the greater OpenHIE architecture so the priority
    would be to aim for this sort of configuration.
    Please let me know what you think about creating this sort of group and also what you think of the two issues I have raised here.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile:
+27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Leadership” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
ohie-leadership+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit

For more options, visit

Scott Teesdale

Project Manager -
InSTEDD

Email:
steesdale@instedd.org

Social: Twitter / LinkedIn

For more options, visit

For more options, visit

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

For more options, visit

Carl Fourie
Assistant Director of Programs, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office:
+27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl@jembi.org

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE)” group.

openhie-interoperability-layer+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317) 423-5523 (O)

(317) 423-5695 (F)

Carl Fourie

For more options, visit

Scott Teesdale

Project Manager -
InSTEDD

Email:
steesdale@instedd.org

For more options, visit

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

For more options, visit

For more options, visit

Carl Fourie
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-leadership+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ryan Crichton

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton

I see the case where each service from each community will have a set of API endpoints and a subset of those endpoints will be required for inter-service interaction to enable a certain OpenHIE use case. I’d see the -architecture group as a good platform in which to discuss and define these use cases.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Shaun Grannis sgrannis@gmail.com wrote:

I agree.

Ryan Crichton

I agree. Those names each express the two points that have been raised here. I’m happy with those.

Cheers,

Ryan

Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 423-5523 (O)

(317) 423-5695 (F)

I agree with Carl. It sounds like the OHIE community is in need of the –architecture list now and then we can create an -implementation list when the need becomes
greater.

jt48@regenstrief.org

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this message and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged information and are intended
solely for the use of the named addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and State laws prohibit you from
making further disclosure of such information without the specific written consent of the person to whom the information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A general authorization for the release of medical or other information is not

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

From: ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Carl Fourie
Cc: Grannis, Shaun J; openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

Hi Paul,

I think you nailed the names. I’d be happy to start with the -architecture list for now and as our implementations grow to more than 2 we can spool up the -implementers list.

Cheers,

Carl

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Paul Biondich pbiondic@regenstrief.org wrote:

In my experience, there’s a distinct need for implementation support, but not clear how much traffic that’d get yet.

That’s pretty distinct from what I’ve always envisioned as a openhie-architecture list. :slight_smile:

1. We’re growing
  1. It’s probably time to go ahead and set up the -implementers and -architecture mailing lists. :slight_smile:

Here’s the great thing about being agile: if those mailing lists seem like too much, or don’t get appropriate traffic, we can just get rid of them later. :slight_smile:

Best,

-Paul

Hi all,

As Derek pointed out our initial concern was that we need a forum to discuss the technical issue involving multiple sub-communities. This would be for handling things like discussion of the transaction OpenHIE should support as a whole
and other cross-cutting concerns between sub-communities. However, I also see the need for a place where implementers can bring their problems and questions to the table. These are two separate issues in my eyes.

@Scott, Github issues could work for discussing technical issues. I’d be happy to give that a try.

Cheers,

Ryan

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Scott Teesdale steesdale@instedd.org wrote:

+1 for an implementers list/group to help with coordination. I think as more locations express interest and start with an aspect of the sub-communities, organizing and coordinating between groups and will continue to grow as an issue.

Is there also potentially a need for a larger conversation around architecture and technical issues involving multiple OHIE sub-communities, that would be separate from coordinating implementation? This might be where github would be helpful.
From my experience, coordinating implementations is largely about managing a network of types of actors/stakeholders, timelines and processes where as cross-cutting technical concerns can benefit from open dialogues of content area experts to make recommendations
on best practices to be carried out in implementations.

Best,

Scott

I think that is a good question to raise, maybe an “implementers” list is a grouping term for what I see being asked. Some of the scenarios I would like to see are:

1. Users are interested in getting started with the OHIE and not quite sure which community is for them?
  1. Where do we ask questions that may require multiple tools to be used to get the best fit (the Zimbabwe is a good example of an implementation that may span 3 communities)
  1. How-to’s and discussions around getting the OHIE towards a rapidly deployable system not just a set of deployable tools

Just my 2c

+1 Carl/Ryan

In addition to implementation discussions, do we anticipate other types of cross-cutting issues?

I’m agreeing with Ryan’s comments. I would venture to say we may want something along the lines of “ohie-implementers” that could field the discussions around the entire implementation process and the spinn off aspects from there.

Cheers,

Carl

Hi Jamie,

I think that number 1 would be the best option. Currently it seems to me that the purpose of the OpenHIE Leads list is for communication between just the community leads so perhaps it should be a closed list. Also its naming suggests that
it should only be used by OpenHIE community leads and perhaps prevents others from joining. A second more open list could be created for more general OpenHIE discussion and others external to the OpenHIE project could join this as well if they would like to
participate or have an interest in the OpenHIE project as a whole.

Currently, I don’t see a list there that we can use for those sort of discussions.

Cheers,

Ryan

I would like to ask whether we need another mailing list for cross-cutting concerns or whether we want to use one
that already exists? Who would be in this group? Is it the same group of people on the OHIE Leads list? Here are the mailing lists we currently use:

·
OpenHIE Announcements - This is a low volume (read: 1-3 emails a month), high membership list for people interested in following the progress of the OpenHIE community as a whole
(Open List w/ moderation)

·
OpenHIE Leads - T his group is made up of the subcommunity leads (e.g., Client Registry, Facility Registry, Provider Registry, Terminology Service, Shared Health Record, Interoperability Layer) who are operationally
focused and working to spearhead the development of each OpenHIE subcommunity. (Open List)

·
Subcommunity Mailing List - Client Registry, Facility Registry, Provider Registry, Terminology Service, Shared Health Record, Interoperability Layer
(All Open Lists)

·
Other Mailing Lists – IHE Standards, Sandbox (Open List)

I wonder whether…

1.   We want to create a working group mailing list for cross-cutting concerns and make the OHIE Leads mailing list closed.

1.    We want to keep the OHIE Leads mailing list open for anyone to join and have cross-cutting concerns posted there so topics can be brought directly to the leads and discussions can be had on monthly OHIE Lead

calls.

Thoughts?

Jamie Thomas
|Health Informatics Project Coordinator

Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
|ph: 317.423.5670 | Skype: jamie.thomas5670|
jt48@regenstrief.org

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this message and any files transmitted with it may contain
confidential and/or privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality protected by federal and state
laws. Federal regulations and State laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information without the specific written consent of the person to whom the information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A general authorization
for the release of medical or other information is not sufficient for this purpose.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the
original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Scott Teesdale
Cc: Chris Ford;
openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com;

The FR community have also found it helpful to use Github to detail and discuss specific technical issues or questions while maintaining an open and documented dialogue. (See: FRED
API Github
repository) May be a useful mechanism in this case as well.

• Scott

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org wrote:

Hi,

I’m just copying Chris’s response to the OpenHIE leadership group as it bounced due to permission. (I think the fact that we are struggling to find a mailing list to bring these
cross-cutting concerns on shows that we need some sort of overall OpenHIE mailing list :slight_smile: )

Ryan

From Chris Ford:

To me, the value proposition of OpenHIE is that it will be an integrated whole with great “usability” for implementing
countries. The core of OpenHIE being less about the individual components and much more about the interactions between them, and I think we should reflect that in our internal communications.

The two issues Ryan mentioned are good examples of a need for alignment across OpenHIE. Here are some others that
have come up in calls I’ve been on:

·
Deployment and operations - how will we get this thing into production, and keep it up once it’s there? What might production look like e.g. cloud, hosted by country etc.

·
Who are our target audience?

·
What are the use cases for the system (as opposed to individual components)?

·
What will the shared protocols between components look like? SOAP, REST, something else?

Some of these questions have been asked on individual communities, and been given helpful answers by OpenHIE leadership,
but without a central mailing list to distribute the responses, the questions are going to come up again and again.

The interoperability layer community has talked about some of these challenges, but they are genuinely cross-cutting
concerns that need to be baked into all the constituant parts of the system, and can’t be solved at a single point.

Cheers,

Chris

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Chris Ford christophertford@gmail.com wrote:

To me, the value proposition of OpenHIE is that it will be an integrated whole with great “usability” for implementing countries. The core of OpenHIE being less about the individual
components and much more about the interactions between them, and I think we should reflect that in our internal communications.

The two issues Ryan mentioned are good examples of a need for alignment across OpenHIE. Here are some others that have come up in calls I’ve been on:

• Deployment and operations - how will we get this thing into production, and keep it up once it’s there? What might production look like e.g. cloud, hosted by country etc.
  • What are the use cases for the system (as opposed to individual components)?
  • What will the shared protocols between components look like? SOAP, REST, something else?
    Some of these questions have been asked on individual communities, and been given helpful answers by OpenHIE leadership, but without a central mailing list to distribute the responses,
    the questions are going to come up again and again.

The interoperability layer community has talked about some of these challenges, but they are genuinely cross-cutting concerns that need to be baked into all the constituant parts
of the system, and can’t be solved at a single point.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks few weeks in the Interoperability Layer community and the Shared Health Record community we have been feeling like there is need for some overall coordination
discussions within OpenHIE. Currently there isn’t a forum to bring up some overall coordination concerns that we have identified. Perhaps, there is space for creating a OpenHIE coordination mailing list to discuss these sort of concerns.

For example, here are some of the items that we would want to bring up in such a group:

• We believe that we need to come up with some overall definition of how the components that make up OpenHIE are expected to work together. Ie. what use cases can OpenHIE expect to support as a whole, what interaction between the different components is expected
    and should be supported. We think this is essential to ensuring that we all develop or specify interfaces that are in line with our overall goal.
  • Discussion has emerged around whether we should focus efforts into whether components should be able to be deployed standalone or is it expected that most of the time these components will be deployed within the greater OpenHIE architecture so the priority
    would be to aim for this sort of configuration.
    Please let me know what you think about creating this sort of group and also what you think of the two issues I have raised here.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

For more options, visit

For more options, visit

Scott Teesdale

Project Manager -
InSTEDD

Email:
steesdale@instedd.org

For more options, visit

For more options, visit

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

For more options, visit

Carl Fourie

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE)” group.

openhie-interoperability-layer+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317) 423-5523 (O)

(317) 423-5695 (F)

Carl Fourie

For more options, visit

Scott Teesdale

Project Manager -
InSTEDD

Email:
steesdale@instedd.org

For more options, visit

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

For more options, visit

For more options, visit

Carl Fourie

Ryan Crichton

+1 Ryan! I think it is important (and soon!) that we more crisply delineate
what the OpenHIE registry and repository "services" do. My sense is that our
subcommunities, in the absence of an active -architecture dialogue, have
occasionally blurred the line between what an OpenHIE service does and what
a stand-alone application does. This architecture discussion also reaches,
in my view, into our sandbox group. The closer we get to a "setup.exe" for a
working OpenHIE instance (an "appliance"), the less we'll focus on
stand-alone applications that are expected to be implemented on their own.
This would be a good thing.

···

From: openhie-shr@googlegroups.com [mailto:openhie-shr@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Ryan Crichton
Sent: June 21, 2013 8:57 AM
Cc: openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com;

From my point of view, I think that we could discuss the overall use cases /
transactions that OpenHIE (when taken as a whole with all services
(registries) implemented) could support in the -architecture group. This has
to do with how each of the services will be put together in OpenHIE and also
describes that overall feature OpenHIE will provide. (For example, do we
want to support a web service to store a patient's encounter and what is the
expected interaction between the CR, FR, PR, SHR and TS to enable this? And,
how will the interoperability layer mediate this?)

I see the case where each service from each community will have a set of API
endpoints and a subset of those endpoints will be required for inter-service
interaction to enable a certain OpenHIE use case. I'd see the -architecture
group as a good platform in which to discuss and define these use cases.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Shaun Grannis <sgrannis@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Ryan Crichton <ryan@jembi.org> wrote:
I agree. Those names each express the two points that have been raised here.
I'm happy with those.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Thomas, Jamie <jt48@regenstrief.org> wrote:
I agree with Carl. It sounds like the OHIE community is in need of the
–architecture list now and then we can create an -implementation list when
the need becomes greater.

jt48@regenstrief.org

Confidentiality Notice: The contents of this message and any files
transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged information
and are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s). Additionally,
the information contained herein may have been disclosed to you from medical
records with confidentiality protected by federal and state laws. Federal
regulations and State laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of
such information without the specific written consent of the person to whom
the information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A
general authorization for the release of medical or other information is not

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete the original message. Any retention, disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this information by anyone other than the
intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

[mailto:ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Carl Fourie
Cc: Grannis, Shaun J; openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com;

Hi Paul,

I think you nailed the names. I'd be happy to start with the -architecture
list for now and as our implementations grow to more than 2 we can spool up
the -implementers list.

Cheers,
Carl

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Paul Biondich <pbiondic@regenstrief.org> wrote:
In my experience, there's a distinct need for implementation support, but
not clear how much traffic that'd get yet.

That's pretty distinct from what I've always envisioned as a
openhie-architecture list. :slight_smile:

1) We're growing
2) It's probably time to go ahead and set up the -implementers and
-architecture mailing lists. :slight_smile:

What's even better, is that this came from you all. :slight_smile:

Here's the great thing about being agile: if those mailing lists seem like
too much, or don't get appropriate traffic, we can just get rid of them
later. :slight_smile:

Best,
-Paul

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Ryan Crichton <ryan@jembi.org> wrote:
Hi all,

As Derek pointed out our initial concern was that we need a forum to discuss
the technical issue involving multiple sub-communities. This would be
for handling things like discussion of the transaction OpenHIE should
support as a whole and other cross-cutting concerns between sub-communities.
However, I also see the need for a place where implementers can bring their
problems and questions to the table. These are two separate issues in my
eyes.

@Scott, Github issues could work for discussing technical issues. I'd be
happy to give that a try.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Scott Teesdale <steesdale@instedd.org> wrote:
+1 for an implementers list/group to help with coordination. I think as
more locations express interest and start with an aspect of the
sub-communities, organizing and coordinating between groups and will
continue to grow as an issue.

Is there also potentially a need for a larger conversation around
architecture and technical issues involving multiple OHIE sub-communities,
that would be separate from coordinating implementation? This might be
where github would be helpful. From my experience, coordinating
implementations is largely about managing a network of types of
actors/stakeholders, timelines and processes where as cross-cutting
technical concerns can benefit from open dialogues of content area experts
to make recommendations on best practices to be carried out in
implementations.

Best,
Scott

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Carl Fourie <carl@jembi.org> wrote:
I think that is a good question to raise, maybe an "implementers" list is a
grouping term for what I see being asked. Some of the scenarios I would like
to see are:

1) Users are interested in getting started with the OHIE and not quite sure
which community is for them?
2) Where do we ask questions that may require multiple tools to be used to
get the best fit (the Zimbabwe is a good example of an implementation that
may span 3 communities)
3) How-to's and discussions around getting the OHIE towards a rapidly
deployable system not just a set of deployable tools

Just my 2c

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Shaun Grannis <sgrannis@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 Carl/Ryan

In addition to implementation discussions, do we anticipate other types of
cross-cutting issues?

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Carl Fourie <carl@jembi.org> wrote:
I'm agreeing with Ryan's comments. I would venture to say we may want
something along the lines of "ohie-implementers" that could field the
discussions around the entire implementation process and the spinn off
aspects from there.

Cheers,
Carl

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Ryan Crichton <ryan@jembi.org> wrote:
Hi Jamie,

I think that number 1 would be the best option. Currently it seems to me
that the purpose of the OpenHIE Leads list is for communication between just
the community leads so perhaps it should be a closed list. Also its naming
suggests that it should only be used by OpenHIE community leads and perhaps
prevents others from joining. A second more open list could be created for
more general OpenHIE discussion and others external to the OpenHIE project
could join this as well if they would like to participate or have
an interest in the OpenHIE project as a whole.

Currently, I don't see a list there that we can use for those sort
of discussions.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Thomas, Jamie <jt48@regenstrief.org> wrote:
I would like to ask whether we need another mailing list for cross-cutting
concerns or whether we want to use one that already exists? Who would be in
this group? Is it the same group of people on the OHIE Leads list? Here are
the mailing lists we currently use:

• OpenHIE Announcements - This is a low volume (read: 1-3 emails a
month), high membership list for people interested in following the progress
of the OpenHIE community as a whole (Open List w/ moderation)

• OpenHIE Leads - This group is made up of the subcommunity leads
(e.g., Client Registry, Facility Registry, Provider Registry, Terminology
Service, Shared Health Record, Interoperability Layer) who are operationally
focused and working to spearhead the development of each OpenHIE
subcommunity. (Open List)

• Subcommunity Mailing List - Client Registry, Facility Registry,
Provider Registry, Terminology Service, Shared Health Record,
Interoperability Layer (All Open Lists)

• Other Mailing Lists – IHE Standards, Sandbox (Open List)

I wonder whether…

1. We want to create a working group mailing list for cross-cutting
concerns and make the OHIE Leads mailing list closed.

2. We want to keep the OHIE Leads mailing list open for anyone to join
and have cross-cutting concerns posted there so topics can be brought
directly to the leads and discussions can be had on monthly OHIE Lead calls.

Thoughts?

jt48@regenstrief.org

[mailto:ohie-leadership@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott Teesdale
Cc: Chris Ford; openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com;

The FR community have also found it helpful to use Github to detail and
discuss specific technical issues or questions while maintaining an open and
documented dialogue. (See: FRED API Github repository) May be a useful
mechanism in this case as well.

- Scott

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Eduardo Jezierski <edjez@instedd.org> wrote:

On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:51 AM, Ryan Crichton <ryan@jembi.org> wrote:

Hi,

I'm just copying Chris's response to the OpenHIE leadership group as it
bounced due to permission. (I think the fact that we are struggling to find
a mailing list to bring these cross-cutting concerns on shows that we need
some sort of overall OpenHIE mailing list :slight_smile: )

Ryan

From Chris Ford:

I think the creation of a mailing list to discuss OpenHIE as a whole is
really important.

To me, the value proposition of OpenHIE is that it will be an integrated
whole with great "usability" for implementing countries. The core of OpenHIE
being less about the individual components and much more about the
interactions between them, and I think we should reflect that in our
internal communications.

The two issues Ryan mentioned are good examples of a need for alignment
across OpenHIE. Here are some others that have come up in calls I've been
on:
• Deployment and operations - how will we get this thing into production,
and keep it up once it's there? What might production look like e.g. cloud,
hosted by country etc.
• What are the use cases for the system (as opposed to individual
components)?
• What will the shared protocols between components look like? SOAP, REST,
something else?
Some of these questions have been asked on individual communities, and been
given helpful answers by OpenHIE leadership, but without a central mailing
list to distribute the responses, the questions are going to come up again
and again.

The interoperability layer community has talked about some of these
challenges, but they are genuinely cross-cutting concerns that need to be
baked into all the constituant parts of the system, and can't be solved at a
single point.

Cheers,

Chris

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Chris Ford <christophertford@gmail.com> wrote:
really important.

whole with great "usability" for implementing countries. The core of OpenHIE
internal communications.

across OpenHIE. Here are some others that have come up in calls I've been
on:
and keep it up once it's there? What might production look like e.g. cloud,
hosted by country etc.
components)?
something else?
and again.

baked into all the constituant parts of the system, and can't be solved at a
single point.

Cheers,

Chris

On 14 June 2013 17:48, Ryan Crichton <ryan@jembi.org> wrote:
Hi all,

Over the past few weeks few weeks in the Interoperability Layer community
and the Shared Health Record community we have been feeling like there is
need for some overall coordination discussions within OpenHIE. Currently
there isn't a forum to bring up some overall coordination concerns that we
have identified. Perhaps, there is space for creating a OpenHIE coordination
mailing list to discuss these sort of concerns.

For example, here are some of the items that we would want to bring up in
such a group:
• We believe that we need to come up with some overall definition of how
the components that make up OpenHIE are expected to work together. Ie. what
use cases can OpenHIE expect to support as a whole, what interaction between
the different components is expected and should be supported. We think this
is essential to ensuring that we all develop or specify interfaces that are
in line with our overall goal.
• Discussion has emerged around whether we should focus efforts
into whether components should be able to be deployed standalone or is it
expected that most of the time these components will be deployed within the
greater OpenHIE architecture so the priority would be to aim for this sort
of configuration.
Please let me know what you think about creating this sort of group and also
what you think of the two issues I have raised here.

Thanks,
Ryan

--
Ryan Crichton

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

--
Ryan Crichton

--
"OpenHIE Leadership" group.
email to ohie-leadership+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

--

--
Scott Teesdale
Project Manager - InSTEDD
Email: steesdale@instedd.org

--

--

--
Ryan Crichton
--

--
Carl Fourie
--
"Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE)" group.
email to openhie-interoperability-layer+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

--
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 423-5523 (O)
(317) 423-5695 (F)

--
Carl Fourie
--

--
Scott Teesdale

--

--
Ryan Crichton
--

--

--
Carl Fourie
--

--

--
Ryan Crichton
--

--
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 423-5523 (O)
(317) 423-5695 (F)
--

--
Ryan Crichton
--
"Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)" group.

So for a way forward it sounds like we want to…

1. Create an OpenHIE Architecture mailing list for members of
    the six OpenHIE subcommittees (Client Registry, Provider Registry, Facility
    Registry, Terminology Services, Shared Health Record, and Interoperability
    Layer) to discuss cross-cutting technical issues that affect our HIE, this list will be open to anyone.
  2. Hold off on creating an OpenHIE Implementers mailing list
    until we see a growing need for operational assistance from implementations.
    Does anyone disagree with this strategy?

-Jamie

···

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

what the OpenHIE registry and repository “services” do. My sense is that our

in my view, into our sandbox group. The closer we get to a “setup.exe” for a

working OpenHIE instance (an “appliance”), the less we’ll focus on

Behalf Of Ryan Crichton

want to support a web service to store a patient’s encounter and what is the

interaction to enable a certain OpenHIE use case. I’d see the -architecture

Cheers,

Ryan

I agree.

I’m happy with those.

Cheers,

Ryan

jt48@regenstrief.org

Hi Paul,

I think you nailed the names. I’d be happy to start with the -architecture

the -implementers list.

Cheers,

Carl

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Paul Biondich pbiondic@regenstrief.org

wrote:

In my experience, there’s a distinct need for implementation support, but

not clear how much traffic that’d get yet.

That’s pretty distinct from what I’ve always envisioned as a

1. We’re growing

2. It’s probably time to go ahead and set up the -implementers and

Here’s the great thing about being agile: if those mailing lists seem like

too much, or don’t get appropriate traffic, we can just get rid of them

Best,

-Paul

Hi all,

eyes.

@Scott, Github issues could work for discussing technical issues. I’d be

Cheers,

Ryan

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Scott Teesdale steesdale@instedd.org

wrote:

implementations.

Best,

Scott

I think that is a good question to raise, maybe an “implementers” list is a

to see are:

1. Users are interested in getting started with the OHIE and not quite sure

1. Where do we ask questions that may require multiple tools to be used to

may span 3 communities)

1. How-to’s and discussions around getting the OHIE towards a rapidly

Just my 2c

+1 Carl/Ryan

cross-cutting issues?

I’m agreeing with Ryan’s comments. I would venture to say we may want

something along the lines of “ohie-implementers” that could field the

aspects from there.

Cheers,

Carl

Hi Jamie,

Currently, I don’t see a list there that we can use for those sort

of discussions.

Cheers,

Ryan

I wonder whether…

1.   We want to create a working group mailing list for cross-cutting

1.   We want to keep the OHIE Leads mailing list open for anyone to join

Thoughts?

jt48@regenstrief.org

• Scott

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org

wrote:

Hi,

I’m just copying Chris’s response to the OpenHIE leadership group as it

Ryan

From Chris Ford:

really important.

whole with great “usability” for implementing countries. The core of OpenHIE

internal communications.

across OpenHIE. Here are some others that have come up in calls I’ve been

on:

and keep it up once it’s there? What might production look like e.g. cloud,

hosted by country etc.

components)?

something else?

and again.

baked into all the constituant parts of the system, and can’t be solved at a

single point.

Cheers,

Chris

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Chris Ford christophertford@gmail.com

wrote:

really important.

internal communications.

on:

hosted by country etc.

components)?

something else?

and again.

single point.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi all,

there isn’t a forum to bring up some overall coordination concerns that we

such a group:

of configuration.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

“Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

Ryan Crichton

“OpenHIE Leadership” group.

Scott Teesdale

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

“Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE)” group.

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317) 423-5523 (O)

(317) 423-5695 (F)

Carl Fourie

Scott Teesdale

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

Ryan Crichton

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317) 423-5523 (O)

(317) 423-5695 (F)

Ryan Crichton

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

I would like to see an OHIE Implementation mailing list. Echoing Carl above, I think the current cross-cutting implementation issues related to Zimbabwe would be a good place to start.

Best,

Scott

···

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Jamie Thomas jamiethomas5670@gmail.com wrote:

So for a way forward it sounds like we want to…

1. Create an OpenHIE Architecture mailing list for members of
    the six OpenHIE subcommittees (Client Registry, Provider Registry, Facility
    Registry, Terminology Services, Shared Health Record, and Interoperability
    Layer) to discuss cross-cutting technical issues that affect our HIE, this list will be open to anyone.
  2. Hold off on creating an OpenHIE Implementers mailing list
    until we see a growing need for operational assistance from implementations.
    Does anyone disagree with this strategy?

-Jamie

Scott Teesdale

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

what the OpenHIE registry and repository “services” do. My sense is that our

in my view, into our sandbox group. The closer we get to a “setup.exe” for a

working OpenHIE instance (an “appliance”), the less we’ll focus on

Behalf Of Ryan Crichton

want to support a web service to store a patient’s encounter and what is the

interaction to enable a certain OpenHIE use case. I’d see the -architecture

Cheers,

Ryan

I agree.

I’m happy with those.

Cheers,

Ryan

jt48@regenstrief.org

Hi Paul,

I think you nailed the names. I’d be happy to start with the -architecture

the -implementers list.

Cheers,

Carl

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Paul Biondich pbiondic@regenstrief.org

wrote:

In my experience, there’s a distinct need for implementation support, but

not clear how much traffic that’d get yet.

That’s pretty distinct from what I’ve always envisioned as a

1. We’re growing

2. It’s probably time to go ahead and set up the -implementers and

Here’s the great thing about being agile: if those mailing lists seem like

too much, or don’t get appropriate traffic, we can just get rid of them

Best,

-Paul

Hi all,

eyes.

@Scott, Github issues could work for discussing technical issues. I’d be

Cheers,

Ryan

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Scott Teesdale steesdale@instedd.org

wrote:

implementations.

Best,

Scott

I think that is a good question to raise, maybe an “implementers” list is a

to see are:

1. Users are interested in getting started with the OHIE and not quite sure

1. Where do we ask questions that may require multiple tools to be used to

may span 3 communities)

1. How-to’s and discussions around getting the OHIE towards a rapidly

Just my 2c

+1 Carl/Ryan

cross-cutting issues?

I’m agreeing with Ryan’s comments. I would venture to say we may want

something along the lines of “ohie-implementers” that could field the

aspects from there.

Cheers,

Carl

Hi Jamie,

Currently, I don’t see a list there that we can use for those sort

of discussions.

Cheers,

Ryan

I wonder whether…

1.   We want to create a working group mailing list for cross-cutting

1.   We want to keep the OHIE Leads mailing list open for anyone to join

Thoughts?

jt48@regenstrief.org

• Scott

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org

wrote:

Hi,

I’m just copying Chris’s response to the OpenHIE leadership group as it

Ryan

From Chris Ford:

really important.

internal communications.

on:

hosted by country etc.

components)?

something else?

and again.

single point.

Cheers,

Chris

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Chris Ford christophertford@gmail.com

wrote:

really important.

internal communications.

on:

hosted by country etc.

components)?

something else?

and again.

single point.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi all,

there isn’t a forum to bring up some overall coordination concerns that we

such a group:

of configuration.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Ryan Crichton

Scott Teesdale

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

“Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE)” group.

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317) 423-5523 (O)

(317) 423-5695 (F)

Carl Fourie

Scott Teesdale

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

Ryan Crichton

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317) 423-5523 (O)

(317) 423-5695 (F)

Ryan Crichton

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.