OIDs in OpenHIE

Hi all,

During a recent call on the subject of DATIM and OpenHIE, a series of questions regarding OIDs surfaced and it was suggested that we post our questions to the OpenHIE Architecture Community. Here are the questions:

1. How are OIDs used
    within OpenHIE?
  2. What qualifies an object to be assigned an OID? In the example OID plan that I’ve seen,
    physical/virtual servers get them, but so do OpenHIE components (Facility
    Registry, Interoperability Layer, etc.), as do some entities within the underlying
    project-specific data model (e.g., Site ID, Person ID, etc.).
  3. Do the OHIE
    components allow for setting OID system variables so that they can be
    easily configured as software changes move through dev, test, stage and production
    instances?
  4. In an OpenHIE distro, how would OIDs be configured and at what point would they be configured?
    If anyone can shed some light on these issues, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for reaching out David - managing OIDs is no mean feat! If you haven’t already looked at this, you may want to take a look at the HL7 guidance for implementing/maintaining OIDs. (The document is free, but requires an HL7 account).

Also, please see my initial, high-level responses in-line below.

Individuals such as Justin Fyfe, Suranga Kasthurirathne, Ryan Crichton, and Carl Leitner (among others) have direct experience with this topic and maybe of the provide more details.

···

Best,

Shaun

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM, David Radune dradune@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

During a recent call on the subject of DATIM and OpenHIE, a series of questions regarding OIDs surfaced and it was suggested that we post our questions to the OpenHIE Architecture Community. Here are the questions:

1. How are OIDs used
    within OpenHIE? In order to be considered “IHE conformant”, OID’s must be included as specified in the IHE profiles. For example on page 46 of the IHE IT Infrastructure Technical Framework, Volume 2a specifies that “the identifier of the patient identification domain … shall be an ISO OID.”
  1. What qualifies an object to be assigned an OID? In the example OID plan that I’ve seen,
    Registry, Interoperability Layer, etc.), as do some entities within the underlying
    project-specific data model (e.g., Site ID, Person ID, etc.). Currently, OID’s are primarily used when directed to do so in the IHE profiles, but one is not prohibited from using them in other contexts.
  1. Do the OHIE
    easily configured as software changes move through dev, test, stage and production
    instances? The individual OpenHIE component communities will likely want to comment on the degree to which each specific component supports functionality for configuring system OID values. My sense from the testing process was that most OIDs were configured manually.
  1. In an OpenHIE distro, how would OIDs be configured and at what point would they be configured? Generally speaking, specific OIDs must be configured early in the OpenHIE implementation process, prior to exchanging transactions.
    If anyone can shed some light on these issues, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Shaun J. Grannis, MD MS FACMI FAAFP
Biomedical Research Scientist, The Regenstrief Institute
Associate Professor, I.U. School of Medicine
410 West 10th Street, Suite 2000
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 274-9092 (Office)
(317) 274-9305 (Fax)

Hi David,

OIDs play a vital role in many of the standards (HL7v3, CDA, HL7v2, etc.) and assist in the identification of objects (devices, patients, facilities, organizations, policies, etc.) within several of the products in OpenHIE. There are many ways in which OIDs can be used but I like to think that every entity within a health infrastructure should have a way to uniquely identify itself, and its subsystems. OIDs allow us to easily see what system/authority generated or is responsible for a particular object.

I’ll use the Client Registry as an example of where OIDs are used and how they should be assigned. The client registry’s primary job is managing demographic and identification information about patients. For example, I know that the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.33349.3.1.1.2.1 belongs to Mohawk College (1.3.6.1.4.1.33349), I can contact the custodian (Mohawk College) to figure out what .3.1.1.2 points to (it actually points to .3 = applied research, .1 = health informatics, .1 = physical infrastructure, .2 = client registry cluster, .1 = host A). Any audits, SNMP traffic, etc. I can track this physical machine’s actions. A logical identifier (for patients, facilities, etc.) are organized under 1.3.6.1.4.1.33349.3.1.2, this identifier represents a tree where I can determine the custodianship of data or devices. Having this level of planning makes managing a large infrastructure (SNMP, Audits, etc.) much easier than, say, assigning a random UUID to these objects or using other means of identification (such as hostname, IP address, etc.).

These OIDs can be used in a variety of ways, for example, in an audit message, I could look see this:

I know that this represents an audit generated by the node A of the client registry cluster (whereas the hostname cr.marc-hi.ca will point to a number of machines).

Whereas in a PIXv3 message, I can see that a particular patient exists as key #40 on the client registry (it is assigned under the .3.1.2 or logical identifiers tree node):

<v3:id root=“1.3.6.1.4.1.33349.3.1.2.2.0.0” extension=“40”/>

Per question #2, anything that can be identified qualifies to have an OID. It really depends on what needs to be identified. In the MEDIC infrastructure each project will get its own root OID under the “Projects” OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.33349.3.1.100..<project_#>) and it is a project planning step to identify which pieces need OIDs.

Per question #3, each system allows you to configure OIDs in different ways. The MEDIC-CR uses an OID registry (or a list of OIDs) in a configuration file, whereas OpenXDS (the registry) will use a series of configuration files to control OIDs, and OpenSHR uses OpenMRS properties to do the job. Typically you don’t want the OIDs to change once you get data into the system as (in practice) you have to cascade that identity change across multiple systems.

Question #4 I’d say at the beginning, before you install. For anyone who has setup an Active Directory infrastructure it is akin to re-organizing your corporate forest or org-units, which is possible but a very painstaking process. I always encourage that those implementing their infrastructures carefully plan (just like deploying a corporate active directory system). Setup is usually the last step and careful planning makes expanding the infrastructure much easier in the future. That being said, there are templates and best-practices guides on how to organize a directory, and many of those apply to OIDs as well.

Hope that makes sense and wasn’t a TLDR response :wink:

Cheers

-Justin

···

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 12:36:43 PM UTC-4, David Radune wrote:

Hi all,

1. How are OIDs used
    within OpenHIE?
  2. What qualifies an object to be assigned an OID? In the example OID plan that I’ve seen,
    project-specific data model (e.g., Site ID, Person ID, etc.).
  3. Do the OHIE
    instances?
  4. In an OpenHIE distro, how would OIDs be configured and at what point would they be configured?