Need help understanding the Facility Registry and Interlinked Registry

Hi Everyone,

I’m having difficulty understanding the difference between OpenInfoMan the ILR and DHIS2 or ResourceMap as the Facility Registry. These seem to be redundant.

Here’s my current understanding. Can you correct me where I’m wrong?

OpenInfoMan keeps a copy of all facilities across all infrastructure systems and retains a map between the facilities in each infrastructure system. For example, DHIS2 has a facility list, the CR has a facility list and the SHR has a facility list. OpenInfoMan standardizes and retains all of this data in the CSD format. When I read about the facility registry, I see that it’s the centralized authority for all facility information, but I feel that OpenInfoMan will have all that information as well.

If this is a point of redundancy, is it possible or appropriate to utilize OpenInfoMan as the facility registry? Is it possible to import a list of facilities into OpenInfoMan and use that as the FR?

Thank you,

Craig

Dear Craig,

The HFR contains a lot of health facility information that is needed in the health sector. It includes information about not just name and multiple IDs (one
unique), but includes information on infrastructure, ICT, mobile services, health services, in charge and facility contact details etc. There is a whole curation process that is used related to managing and maintaining this information, in a user friendly
way that the FR provides, so even though centralized authority it is implemented in a distributed way and the workflow is distributed and can have multiple levels as to who has the authority to update for example facility classification, facility type etc.
These are all things owned by the ministry of health usually, whereas district level folks and DMOs have more current knowledge by visiting health facilities.

The FR in Tanzania is a collection of three tools – the core RM which is the data management engine, the HFR curation tool which manages the curation workflow
process and the HFR public portal which provides a public facing open view of HF data that anyone can use, comment on, etc.

So, this is probably a broader discussion here that is needed but a HFR is a lot more than a master facility list. DHIS2 in Tanzania is now consuming the facility
details it needs from the HFR so they are connected.

I think what is important here also is that we as a community do not force a specific tool on a country but rather hear their needs (as in Tanzania) and then
build the solution that implements their vision of a complete facility registry.

This of course is my opinion here and does not reflect for example the Ministry of Health in Tanzania.

Thanks ! Niamh

On Behalf Of Craig A.

···

Hi Everyone,

I’m having difficulty understanding the difference between OpenInfoMan the ILR and DHIS2 or ResourceMap as the Facility Registry. These seem to be redundant.

OpenInfoMan keeps a copy of all facilities across all infrastructure systems and retains a map between the facilities in each infrastructure system. For example, DHIS2 has a facility list, the CR has a facility list and the SHR has a facility
list. OpenInfoMan standardizes and retains all of this data in the CSD format. When I read about the facility registry, I see that it’s the centralized authority for all facility information, but I feel that OpenInfoMan will have all that information as well.

If this is a point of redundancy, is it possible or appropriate to utilize OpenInfoMan as the facility registry? Is it possible to import a list of facilities into OpenInfoMan and use that as the FR?

Thank you,

Craig

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
ohie-implementers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to
ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohie-implementers/280ef00d-27e2-41d7-a735-460949d4def9%40googlegroups.com
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

And forgot to say great question, as there is a lot of confusion out there
J

···

From: ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Darcy, Niamh
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2016 6:04 PM
To: Craig A. cappl@uw.edu; OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN) ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [ohie-implementers] Need help understanding the Facility Registry and Interlinked Registry

Dear Craig,

The HFR contains a lot of health facility information that is needed in the health sector. It includes information about not just name and multiple IDs (one
unique), but includes information on infrastructure, ICT, mobile services, health services, in charge and facility contact details etc. There is a whole curation process that is used related to managing and maintaining this information, in a user friendly
way that the FR provides, so even though centralized authority it is implemented in a distributed way and the workflow is distributed and can have multiple levels as to who has the authority to update for example facility classification, facility type etc.
These are all things owned by the ministry of health usually, whereas district level folks and DMOs have more current knowledge by visiting health facilities.

The FR in Tanzania is a collection of three tools – the core RM which is the data management engine, the HFR curation tool which manages the curation workflow
process and the HFR public portal which provides a public facing open view of HF data that anyone can use, comment on, etc.

So, this is probably a broader discussion here that is needed but a HFR is a lot more than a master facility list. DHIS2 in Tanzania is now consuming the facility
details it needs from the HFR so they are connected.

I think what is important here also is that we as a community do not force a specific tool on a country but rather hear their needs (as in Tanzania) and then
build the solution that implements their vision of a complete facility registry.

This of course is my opinion here and does not reflect for example the Ministry of Health in Tanzania.

Thanks ! Niamh

ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Craig A.
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2016 5:11 PM
To: OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN) ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com
Subject: [ohie-implementers] Need help understanding the Facility Registry and Interlinked Registry

Hi Everyone,

OpenInfoMan keeps a copy of all facilities across all infrastructure systems and retains a map between the facilities in each infrastructure system. For example, DHIS2 has a facility list, the CR has a facility list and the SHR has a facility
list. OpenInfoMan standardizes and retains all of this data in the CSD format. When I read about the facility registry, I see that it’s the centralized authority for all facility information, but I feel that OpenInfoMan will have all that information as well.

Thank you,

Craig

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohie-implementers/280ef00d-27e2-41d7-a735-460949d4def9%40googlegroups.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohie-implementers/MWHPR07MB28297EF0F66E2275C883431CC28F0%40MWHPR07MB2829.namprd07.prod.outlook.com

Hi all.

Craig… I agree with Niamh, this is a terrific question.

The InfoMan is designed to maintain information about Facilities, Health Workers, Organizations and Services. It manages the “definitive IDs” for all of these entities (as well as local IDs that may be associated with these enterprise IDs) and it maintains information about each entity – as Niamh described – as defined by the Care Services Discovery (CSD) schema. Importantly, the InfoMan cross references the Facility, Health Worker, Organization and Service datasets; this is why the InfoMan is referred to as the Interlinked Registry (ILR).

One of the truly useful aspects of the InfoMan is that it is able to draw in content from multiple underlying “directories”. Specifically using facilities as an example – the InfoMan could update its database (using IHE’s ITI-73 transaction) from a DHIS2 instance, from a facility list maintained by the Ministry of Defense and from a private sector listing of clinics and hospitals. Each of these sources represents a directory of facility information. The federation of these directories, in the InfoMan, can then considered a Facility Registry.

The design goals of the CSD specification were to support collation and cross-referencing of federated directories. I hope this description helps clarify. I’m happy to answer questions, if I can. I’d also like to call out to Carl Leitner who has a lot of experience implementing InfoMan-based systems in the field. I know Carl can add insights to this description.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

Derek Ritz, P.Eng., CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality.

···

From: ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com [mailto:ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Craig A.
Sent: Friday, December 2, 2016 6:11 AM
To: OpenHIE Implementers Network (OHIN)
Subject: [ohie-implementers] Need help understanding the Facility Registry and Interlinked Registry

Hi Everyone,

OpenInfoMan keeps a copy of all facilities across all infrastructure systems and retains a map between the facilities in each infrastructure system. For example, DHIS2 has a facility list, the CR has a facility list and the SHR has a facility list. OpenInfoMan standardizes and retains all of this data in the CSD format. When I read about the facility registry, I see that it’s the centralized authority for all facility information, but I feel that OpenInfoMan will have all that information as well.

Thank you,

Craig

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-implementers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to ohie-implementers@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ohie-implementers/280ef00d-27e2-41d7-a735-460949d4def9%40googlegroups.com.