LIS COP DIAS post to gather interest for a working meeting

Hi all! This is the post I’d promised (before disappearing for a few weeks on leave), to start a conversation on getting started with some volunteers to work on building the LIS COP DAIS platform.

DAIS is a Decoupled Analyzer Interface System, which aims to create a community-built and supported software that will connect to clinical analyzers in the lab via ASTM, HL7 v2, or text file outputs, and convert them into FHIR objects which any FHIR-ready system can consume, providing lab results to any system that needs them (LIS, EMR or surveillance system).

This system will have a community library of analyzer profiles that any implementer can contribute, so that for example if someone makes a profile for a GenXpert analyzer, any other implementer can download it, and make any needed modifications for the local setup, and have a working connection without the need for any software development.

At the last meeting, we had an amazing demo from the OpenFN team using OpenFN Lightning, which showed live a transformation between a text representation of the ASTM output, and converted it into a diagnostic report ready for a LIS system. We would also like to use a HAPI FHIR server to hold the FHIR objects and share them, and the OCL tool to maintain the concept sets and the CIEL concept set to resolve the proper LOINC codes and link to other reference terminologies as needed.

We are looking for designers to help design the front end and UI / UX, experts on the technologies used to make sure we are not walking into any technical dead ends, and software developers to help develop the front and back end, and testers and documentation folks to help test and document the software. We would like to have an initial session where we can decide on some tasks and basic timelines to start standing up a proof of concept, followed by regular check-ins at whatever we decide in the first meeting to keep making progress. My initial idea is to meet monthly, and use this discourse or a related slack to keep in regular communication.

So, I’m going to leave it here, please let me know if you’d like me to share any other information, and I’ll include it below. In the meantime, I’m going to raise some interest in this post, and get the team together. If not before then, we can use the September LIS COP call to continue this discussion.

If you are interested in contributing, please indicate that with a reply to this post, and with what your particular interest is. We also encourage anyone who is interested but are not sure how or if they’d like to contribute to join us!

If you would like to see the OpenFN demo and catch up from our last meeting, please see the recording here: 2023-06-29 Lab Information System Call - Communities & Projects - OpenHIE Wiki

I’m super excited to be working on this with you all!

4 Likes

Hello @caseynth, Am Frank from Uganda and would love to be part of the team.

Hey OpenHIE, Hello @caseynth ,

I am Kamonyo and I work for JSI Ivory Coast as Senior Software Developer.

I am super interested in contributing and learning from this exciting opportunity.

Hey @caseynth , I’m Aïssa from France. This sounds very exciting!
I would love to integrate the group.

Hey @caseynth Am Mutagubya Jonathan a software developer from Uganda, would like to contribute, learn more on this project though not sure on how :slight_smile:

FYI @technical_committee @paynejd @jamlung

Hi All,
I am Philippe from France, from the LabBook team.
We are starting a LabBook Middleware project, and very interested in participating and contributing if we can.

Hi @caseynth. I am Charles Chigoriwa, the Zimttech Lead Software Developer. I am eager to be a contributor. Thank you.

Hi all! I know it’s been a few weeks. I am super looking forward to connecting with you all very soon.

Our next LIS COP meeting is coming up soon! I plan to come together with you all, get this project kicked off, and move towards having some front-end designs and user stories to review and make an engineering plan.

The COP call is set for November 16, and I look forward to seeing you there.

Please feel free to add anything you’d like to discuss to the agenda or drop a message here to let me know!

https://wiki.ohie.org/display/CP/2023-11-16+Lab+Information+System+Call

Agenda: Decoupled Analyzer Interface System kick off

• Review the ASTM Engine’s 2 parts, the transmission layer and the data structure

• Review the system architecture

• Decide next steps, and identify volunteers for engineering, design, and documentation

• Decide on meeting frequency, and posting of updates.

• Review any finished user stories and initial designs

1 Like

If you could not join us for the Quarterly OpenHIE Lab Information System CoP call yesterday, you can read the notes or listen to the recording on 2023-11-16 OpenHIE Lab Information System call wiki page.