Lab Information System (OpenELIS) to EMR (OpenMRS) demo using FHIR, HIE patterns and LOINC codes

Hi all! We have recently updated our OpenELIS Global 2.6 with some new functionality to integrate with OpenMRS using FHIR and following the OpenHIE patterns for EMR LIS data exchange, I have the demo video here:

You may know OpenELIS Global from the 1.x version packaged with Bahmni, this is the OpenELIS Global 2, which has many differences including being written in Java Spring with up-to-date, secure technology stacks, FHIR APIs, bi-directional analyzer interfaces, and more!

OpenELIS Global

The OpenELIS Global software is an open-source enterprise-level laboratory information system built on open-source web-based technologies that has been tailored for resource-constrained public health laboratories.

The software serves as both an effective laboratory software solution and business process framework. It supports the effective functioning of public health laboratories for best laboratory practice and accreditation.

Please let me know if you have any questions! Or if there are other demos you’d like to see! We have integration with a MFL (GOFR) demoed on the channel, and we are working on integration with OCL to be able to share concepts/terminology services with an OMRS installation as well!

Best,
Casey Iiams-Hauser

OpenELIS Global product owner

3 Likes

Great video Casey! (You have such a great narrative voice as well!)

CCing @jamlung & @dritz as I think they’ll be really interested to see the concepts flex here :smiley:

1 Like

This is a good initiative.

For more information about how to setup the interoperability, or to try it yourself with our demo servers please find all the relevant information here: EMR and LIS Data Exchange Knowledge Base

1 Like

Thanks @caseynth this is good…

I just have a quick question. is there any other module on top of fhir2 module you used in OpenMRS to be able to send and recieve fhir lab orders to the fhir server ?

Good question @tmkmart. Their prerequisite OpenMRS modules were both the FHIR2 Module, AND the specific Lab-on-FHIR Module.

1 Like

Thanks alot @gracepotma