HL7

Hello everyone,

I want to create an mediator for OpenHIM allowing OpenMRS to sent and receive HL7 message
from any system going through OpenHIM.

And since i’m still a beginner does anyone have advice or pointers for me

best regards

Sabri Barbaria

Hi Sabri.

There is a wide range of HL7 message types (e.g. patient admissions, clinical observations, lab orders, drug dispenses, etc.) and versions (e.g. HL7v2, HL7v3, HL7 FHIR). Are there particular combinations of HL7 message type and version you are interested in?

It might be helpful to frame the message exchange within the context of one or more user stories. I’ve recently learned about a formal, but easy-to-use language for representing such stories: gherkin (info can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumber_(software)). The gist of gherkin is that user stories follow a rudimentary pattern:

Given

When

Then

Some of us in the OpenHIE communities are experimenting with gherkin as a way to describe our workflows. One advantage to this approach is that there are software test automation tools which can parse gherkin and help turn user stories into executable conformance test scripts. (We are still early in this process… but it looks like it could hold promise.)

Whether you favour using gherkin or some other format, my sense is that user stories would be extremely helpful to you at this stage. I’m sure, if you can express a few key stories that are most important to you, there will be teammates in the Implementers’ Community who can suggest ways to move forward with developing mediators to “bring them to life”.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

Derek Ritz, P.Eng, CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality.

···

From: openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com [mailto:openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of sabri barbaria
Sent: November 22, 2017 10:57 AM
To: Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE) openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com
Subject: HL7

Hello everyone,

I want to create an mediator for OpenHIM allowing OpenMRS to sent and receive HL7 message
from any system going through OpenHIM.

And since i’m still a beginner does anyone have advice or pointers for me

best regards

Sabri Barbaria

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE)” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-interoperability-layer+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Derek,

Thank for your response.

The workflow that i have in mind is about patient admission.

My interest is in HL7 version 2.5 and the message type is for patient admissions.

best regards,

Sabri

Hi Sabri.

OpenHIE’s “create patient demographic record” workflow is, I think, the one that maps to what you’re trying to do. Version 1 of this OpenHIE workflow is described here:

https://wiki.ohie.org/display/documents/Create+patient+demographic+record+workflow±+V1.0

OpenHIE leverages IHE profiles as the underlying “standards stack” underneath its workflows and the links to these standards (which are freely available) can be found on the OpenHIE wiki. The HL7 standard that underpins this IHE profile is v2.3.1 (which is the most widely deployed version for this ADT message).

Work is also underway within the OpenHIE community to implement HL7’s newest protocol: FHIR. Others can, I hope, give their thoughts on this and their experiences implementing it.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality.

···

From: openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com [mailto:openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of sabri barbaria
Sent: November 28, 2017 4:56 AM
To: Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE) openhie-interoperability-layer@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: HL7

Hi Derek,

Thank for your response.

My interest is in HL7 version 2.5 and the message type is for patient admissions.

best regards,

Sabri

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Interoperability Layer (OpenHIE)” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-interoperability-layer+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Thank you for your reply

···

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 4:14:35 PM UTC+1, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) wrote:

Hi Sabri.

OpenHIE’s “create patient demographic record” workflow is, I think, the one that maps to what you’re trying to do. Version 1 of this OpenHIE workflow is described here:

https://wiki.ohie.org/display/documents/Create+patient+demographic+record+workflow±+V1.0

OpenHIE leverages IHE profiles as the underlying “standards stack” underneath its workflows and the links to these standards (which are freely available) can be found on the OpenHIE wiki. The HL7 standard that underpins this IHE profile is v2.3.1 (which is the most widely deployed version for this ADT message).

Work is also underway within the OpenHIE community to implement HL7’s newest protocol: FHIR. Others can, I hope, give their thoughts on this and their experiences implementing it.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

Sent: November 28, 2017 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: HL7

Hi Derek,

Thank for your response.

best regards,

Sabri