Evaluation of the OpenHIM architecture

Hi all,

I would like to start the process of evaluating the OpenHIM (context) with a review and discussion of the architecture of the OpenHIM. I have attached a draft copy of the paper I wrote about the OpenHIM architecture and would like those who have time to spend on this to review the architecture and give your feedback. I think this is a good place to start as it give a feel for the general architecture of the OpenHIM.

Here are some key points to consider while reviewing this architecture:

• Suitability for a low resource setting
  • Items not considered or addressed in the architecture
  • Ability to adapt to future needs
  • Ability to scale to handle higher transaction loads

If anyone has any additional points to add that would be highly helpful.

I would like to make an explicit request to the guys at Regenstrief (Mark, Larry and Shahid) and at Mohawk (Justin) to take some time to review this and provide some detailed feedback in the next few weeks. your comment will be much appreciated for the evaluation Please let me know if this is not feasible for you.

Also feel free to ask any questions here if things are not clear. Having a larger discussion around certain issues may be useful.

Thanks,

Ryan

OpenHIM-Arch-draft.pdf (377 KB)

···

Ryan Crichton

Senior Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Hi Ryan

Thanks for sharing this. I think in addition we should, through this process, be distilling out an architectural review framework which we can use to evaluate other tools against too (as part of our requirement for reviewing additional tools and architectures). Please could you set up the foundational documents for this and lets have the team add to them as we go.

Thanks

Carl

···

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Ryan ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to start the process of evaluating the OpenHIM (context) with a review and discussion of the architecture of the OpenHIM. I have attached a draft copy of the paper I wrote about the OpenHIM architecture and would like those who have time to spend on this to review the architecture and give your feedback. I think this is a good place to start as it give a feel for the general architecture of the OpenHIM.

I would like to make an explicit request to the guys at Regenstrief (Mark, Larry and Shahid) and at Mohawk (Justin) to take some time to review this and provide some detailed feedback in the next few weeks. your comment will be much appreciated for the evaluation Please let me know if this is not feasible for you.

Also feel free to ask any questions here if things are not clear. Having a larger discussion around certain issues may be useful.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIM-Dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhim-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Carl Fourie
Assistant Director of Programs, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl@jembi.org

Hi Carl,

Thanks for adding this. I will put something foundational together and then let it evolve as we receive feedback and comments. I agree this will be vital for our final evaluation.

Ryan

···

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIM-Dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhim-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Carl Fourie

Hi Carl, I might restate it a bit differently.

Ryan, if you start the process with a review of OpenHIM, you will likely miss out on creating the space for the team to explicitly discuss the functions and scope of the interoperability layer.

For example, should it support core services which establish context for the rest of the registries? Like user authentication, security, roles/privs, logging, etc? Or does it simply behave more like a classic interface engine?

So, I’d start by having a conversation on “what do we expect the interoperability layer to do for us?” Then focus on a review of the technologies, including OpenHIM.

Best,

-Paul

···

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

Thanks Paul, I felt we had already vetted a lot of that over years so far with RHEA. I do however think it would be good to revisit this as a group for OpenHIE and ensure it aligns with what we are trying to achieve.

I’d like to suggest that we continue with the OpenHIM architecture review as a side track but make the focus of the coming calls to discuss what makes a interoperability layer similarly to what we have done with the SHR. Some of these discussion have already been started in the previous calls but I will make this more explicit. I will start some documentation to capture what an interoperability layer should be and we can work as a group from that.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Paul Biondich pbiondic@regenstrief.org wrote:

Ryan, if you start the process with a review of OpenHIM, you will likely miss out on creating the space for the team to explicitly discuss the functions and scope of the interoperability layer.

For example, should it support core services which establish context for the rest of the registries? Like user authentication, security, roles/privs, logging, etc? Or does it simply behave more like a classic interface engine?

So, I’d start by having a conversation on “what do we expect the interoperability layer to do for us?” Then focus on a review of the technologies, including OpenHIM.

Best,

-Paul

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org wrote:

Hi Ryan

Thanks for sharing this. I think in addition we should, through this process, be distilling out an architectural review framework which we can use to evaluate other tools against too (as part of our requirement for reviewing additional tools and architectures). Please could you set up the foundational documents for this and lets have the team add to them as we go.

Thanks

Carl

Ryan Crichton

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

Agreed with all you’ve said below. Remember though: many people who will participate in these conversations won’t have had any experience with RHEA, and will hopefully bring complementary perspectives to the table. :slight_smile:

The circumstances and constraints around RHEA were useful to focus on. However, this is our last shot to really look critically past RHEA into the future before we start building our “house”.

-Paul

···

Best,

-Paul

Hi Ryan

Thanks

Carl

Ryan Crichton

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

Thanks Paul for the input and Ryan for following this up.

I agree that we have a little of a “different start” having been with RHEA for a while and let it help refine our understanding of the HIM, but think its a valuable time to critically look at “What should the HIM do etc”.

Ryan we have had some discussions around this coming out of the SHR discussions (there is a tight correlation between these atm) and we should be noting points under each bucket to continue the discussions (the documentation you refer too). Lets get this drafted and make it an action point for the next HIM call agenda.

Cheers,

Carl

···

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Paul Biondich pbiondic@regenstrief.org wrote:

Agreed with all you’ve said below. Remember though: many people who will participate in these conversations won’t have had any experience with RHEA, and will hopefully bring complementary perspectives to the table. :slight_smile:

The circumstances and constraints around RHEA were useful to focus on. However, this is our last shot to really look critically past RHEA into the future before we start building our “house”.

-Paul

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Ryan rg.crichton@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Paul, I felt we had already vetted a lot of that over years so far with RHEA. I do however think it would be good to revisit this as a group for OpenHIE and ensure it aligns with what we are trying to achieve.

I’d like to suggest that we continue with the OpenHIM architecture review as a side track but make the focus of the coming calls to discuss what makes a interoperability layer similarly to what we have done with the SHR. Some of these discussion have already been started in the previous calls but I will make this more explicit. I will start some documentation to capture what an interoperability layer should be and we can work as a group from that.

Cheers,

Ryan

Carl Fourie

Best,

-Paul

Hi Ryan

Thanks

Carl

Ryan Crichton

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie

I agree, revisiting these with the different perspectives we have at the table is great. Carl, you are right we have already started to capture these as apart of the previous calls. However, I will make this an explicit point on the next call to start teasing these issues out. Thanks for bringing this up Paul.

Ryan

···

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org wrote:

Thanks Paul for the input and Ryan for following this up.

I agree that we have a little of a “different start” having been with RHEA for a while and let it help refine our understanding of the HIM, but think its a valuable time to critically look at “What should the HIM do etc”.

Ryan we have had some discussions around this coming out of the SHR discussions (there is a tight correlation between these atm) and we should be noting points under each bucket to continue the discussions (the documentation you refer too). Lets get this drafted and make it an action point for the next HIM call agenda.

Cheers,

Carl

Ryan Crichton

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Paul Biondich pbiondic@regenstrief.org wrote:

-Paul

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Ryan rg.crichton@gmail.com wrote:

Cheers,

Ryan

Carl Fourie

Best,

-Paul

Hi Ryan

Thanks

Carl

Ryan Crichton

Hi all,

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Crichton

Carl Fourie