Confidentiality Codes in ODD CDAs

Hello All,

I was just doing some further documentation on the ODD module and realized that the ODD module does not currently adhere to the confidentialtyCode that was imported via the cdahandler (import) module. The import module stores the confidentiality code for the inbound document, but I am struggling with how to implement or enforce this when generating outbound CDAs.

There are a few ways to handle this:

1. Push the responsibility to the consumer, that is the ODD module will simply generate all records in the CCD for the patient and if any are restricted will append a restricted confidentiality code on the outbound ODD document, or

2. Create two ODD entries, one containing only “normal” data and the other containing “normal+restricted” data. This would be identified in the “confidentiality” slots of the XDS meta-data sent to the registry (i.e. the restricted document will carry a restricted policy on XDS meta-data so the registry can perform necessary policy enforcement, this is how OSCAR works). The challenge here is to, in the “normal” document, identify that data is missing because it is restricted, I’ve never had to deal with this, my sense is emitting entries where all properties are nullFlavor=“MSK”.

3. Determine who the user is on the end of the XDS request and have the ODD module include/not include records based on the user assertion. This is by far the most elegant solution however also the most complex as it would involve implementation of XUA to pass user assertions around. There is the SeR profile from IHE which allows the repository to get a policy enforcement decision from a policy manager (similar to a claim token if I remember correctly), however this profile is as new as PDQm so I’m not sure it is any easier.

Personally I think that #1 or #2 are good options, #2 is a little more complex however not out of the realm of possibility. I’d like to get everyone’s opinion about handling masked/restricted data in CDA, if you know of any other ways to do this please share.

Cheers

-Justin

Hi Derek,

Good points. I agree with you that everything should be a big on/off switch, and have BTG. I think that a simplified option #2 that I had specified, from the SHR’s point of view/responsibility, supports this (basically if data is R then nothing appears in the general document but everything appears in the restricted document). Basically those who opt-out will receive a confidentiality code of R (restricted) on all their past and future data, and XDS/XUA has very nice BTG mechanisms built in to them which can be supported in future versions (OSCAR uses XUA for conveying BTG consent overrides).

I think that, in the next version of OpenHIE, we should think about implementing BPPC as it supports this on/off switch quite nicely and provides a more standardized way of conveying/enforcing policies. Like your idea of a flag in the CR, BPPC has a consent form document (CDA) which indicates agreement to a consent policy. This supports the opt-out model; the policy being conveyed in BPPC could literally be “I want out”.

I think XDS + BPPC Enforcement option in the next version would be a killer feature as it is quite flexible (and not that difficult to implement) and would give us a way to support a wide array of policy frameworks.

Cheers

-Justin

···

From: Derek Ritz (ecGroup) [mailto:derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com]
Sent: October 29, 2014 11:24 PM
To: ‘Justin Fyfe’; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Confidentiality Codes in ODD CDAs

Ok… so we had this issue come up when I was a project team member regarding Canada Health Infoway’s Privacy and Security infrastructure working group. My recommendation, then and now, is for there to be a “flag” in the CR that indicates if a use has opted out of sharing their data with care providers. Basically, sharing SOME (but perhaps not all) data with SOME (but perhaps not all) care providers is wickedly difficult. However, to either share ALL data with ALL care providers or NO data with ALL care providers is binary… and easy.

There are +13 million citizens in the province of Ontario, Canada (where I live). At the time (2007) when I was working on the Infoway work item there were 535 citizens who had established consent directives regarding their health information and all of those 535 citizens were 100% opted out (as in, NO data sharing with ALL care providers). To be really blunt about this, the complexity and cost of anything except a big ON/OFF switch was simply unjustifiable.

In my view, this should be treated as a sociotechnical problem not a technical problem. If someone wants “out” of eHealth that should be their right and we need to respect it. There should be a break-the-glass (BTG) privilege for the physicians if the jurisdictional laws allow for that (Ontario’s does). [BTG means the physician can, for reasons of patient safety, choose to override the big ON/OFF switch and see the patient’s eHealth records in their entirety.] But however theoretically possible it might seem to allow some data to be masked for some providers… this quite simply isn’t a practical option, or a necessary one.

Other than this, I have no opinion on the matter. :wink:

Warmest regards,

Derek.

Derek Ritz, P.Eng., CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient, par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

From: openhie-shr@googlegroups.com [mailto:openhie-shr@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Justin Fyfe
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:51 PM
To: openhie-shr@googlegroups.com
Subject: Confidentiality Codes in ODD CDAs

Hello All,

I was just doing some further documentation on the ODD module and realized that the ODD module does not currently adhere to the confidentialtyCode that was imported via the cdahandler (import) module. The import module stores the confidentiality code for the inbound document, but I am struggling with how to implement or enforce this when generating outbound CDAs.

1. Push the responsibility to the consumer, that is the ODD module will simply generate all records in the CCD for the patient and if any are restricted will append a restricted confidentiality code on the outbound ODD document, or

2. Create two ODD entries, one containing only “normal” data and the other containing “normal+restricted” data. This would be identified in the “confidentiality” slots of the XDS meta-data sent to the registry (i.e. the restricted document will carry a restricted policy on XDS meta-data so the registry can perform necessary policy enforcement, this is how OSCAR works). The challenge here is to, in the “normal” document, identify that data is missing because it is restricted, I’ve never had to deal with this, my sense is emitting entries where all properties are nullFlavor=“MSK”.

3. Determine who the user is on the end of the XDS request and have the ODD module include/not include records based on the user assertion. This is by far the most elegant solution however also the most complex as it would involve implementation of XUA to pass user assertions around. There is the SeR profile from IHE which allows the repository to get a policy enforcement decision from a policy manager (similar to a claim token if I remember correctly), however this profile is as new as PDQm so I’m not sure it is any easier.

Personally I think that #1 or #2 are good options, #2 is a little more complex however not out of the realm of possibility. I’d like to get everyone’s opinion about handling masked/restricted data in CDA, if you know of any other ways to do this please share.

Cheers

-Justin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

So, thinking on this a little more, there is a way that we could use a very lightweight BPPC document to trigger the SHR into not disclosing document retrieves by indicating the patient “opts-out”. Basically the steps are:

1.   SHR receives a document which is a BPPC policy document (i.e. patient wants policy X enforced)

2.   SHR performs a simple meta-data update to apply (or clear) the policy on the registry (best practice)

Here is an example of what a document like that might look like (apologies if this looks hideous I’m pasting from Outlook):

<hl7:ClinicalDocument xmlns:hl7=“urn:hl7-org:v3”>

<hl7:typeId root=“2.16.840.1.113883.1.3” extension=“POCD_HD000040”/>

<hl7:templateId root=“1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.1”/>

<hl7:templateId root=“1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.7”/>

<hl7:id root=“2c589cf6-c38f-47e2-a92e-946c9aebd6f8”/>

<hl7:code code=“57016-8” codeSystem=“2.16.840.1.113883.6.1” displayName=“PATIENT PRIVACY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT”/>

hl7:titleApply Opt-out</hl7:title>

<hl7:effectiveTime value=“20131002131211.044-0400”/>

<hl7:confidentialityCode code=“N” codeSystem=“2.16.840.1.113883.5.25”/>

hl7:recordTarget

<hl7:patientRole>

<hl7:id root="1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8" extension="1234"/>

<hl7:patient>

<hl7:name use="L">

<hl7:given>John</hl7:given>

<hl7:family>Smith</hl7:family>

</hl7:name>

<hl7:administrativeGenderCode code="M" codeSystem="2.16.840.1.113883.5.1"/>

<hl7:birthTime value="20131002"/>

</hl7:patient>

</hl7:patientRole>

</hl7:recordTarget>

hl7:author

<hl7:time value="20131002131211.044-0400"/>

<hl7:assignedAuthor>

<hl7:id root="1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8" extension="12"/>

<hl7:assignedPerson>

<hl7:given>Robert</hl7:given>

<hl7:family>Dolin</hl7:family>

</hl7:assignedPerson>

</hl7:assignedAuthor>

</hl7:author>

hl7:documentationOf

<hl7:serviceEvent>

<hl7:templateId root="1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.2.6"/>

<hl7:id root="2c589cf6-c38f-47e2-a92e-946c9aebd6f8"/>

<hl7:code codeSystem="2.1.2.3.5.3049.1" code="OPTOUT" codeSystemName="OpenHIE Consent Policies"

displayName="Opt-Out"/>

<hl7:effectiveTime>

<hl7:low inclusive="false" value="20131002131211.044-0400"/>

</hl7:effectiveTime>

</hl7:serviceEvent>

</hl7:documentationOf>

hl7:component

<hl7:structuredBody>

</hl7:structuredBody>

</hl7:component>

</hl7:ClinicalDocument>

Cheers

-Justin

···

Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:24 PM

Ok… so we had this issue come up when I was a project team member regarding Canada Health Infoway’s Privacy and Security infrastructure working group. My recommendation, then and now, is for there to be a “flag” in the CR that indicates if a use has opted out of sharing their data with care providers. Basically, sharing SOME (but perhaps not all) data with SOME (but perhaps not all) care providers is wickedly difficult. However, to either share ALL data with ALL care providers or NO data with ALL care providers is binary… and easy.

There are +13 million citizens in the province of Ontario, Canada (where I live). At the time (2007) when I was working on the Infoway work item there were 535 citizens who had established consent directives regarding their health information and all of those 535 citizens were 100% opted out (as in, NO data sharing with ALL care providers). To be really blunt about this, the complexity and cost of anything except a big ON/OFF switch was simply unjustifiable.

In my view, this should be treated as a sociotechnical problem not a technical problem. If someone wants “out” of eHealth that should be their right and we need to respect it. There should be a break-the-glass (BTG) privilege for the physicians if the jurisdictional laws allow for that (Ontario’s does). [BTG means the physician can, for reasons of patient safety, choose to override the big ON/OFF switch and see the patient’s eHealth records in their entirety.] But however theoretically possible it might seem to allow some data to be masked for some providers… this quite simply isn’t a practical option, or a necessary one.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient, par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

From: openhie-shr@googlegroups.com [mailto:openhie-shr@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Justin Fyfe

Hello All,

Cheers

-Justin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Hi Justin,

So, I’m stepping a little far outside of what I understand on this topic but are you suggesting the following (referencing your number 2 above):

• A document can be submitted that specifies if a patient want to opt out. (Where is this metadata stored? You mentioned the registry - is this the XDS registry or CR?)
  • When we receive a clinical document we store a normal copy and a normal + restricted copy (is this needed if we are doing a global opt-in opt-out?)
  • When a document is queried we check the opt-out switch stored in the registry, if its true we only return the normal document else we return the normal + restricted document?
    I’m not sure I’ve represented this correctly, could you please let me know if I have mis-represented this (I most likely have).

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Justin Fyfe justin.fyfe@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

So, thinking on this a little more, there is a way that we could use a very lightweight BPPC document to trigger the SHR into not disclosing document retrieves by indicating the patient “opts-out”. Basically the steps are:

1.   SHR receives a document which is a BPPC policy document (i.e. patient wants policy X enforced)

1.   SHR performs a simple meta-data update to apply (or clear) the policy on the registry (best practice)

Here is an example of what a document like that might look like (apologies if this looks hideous I’m pasting from Outlook):

<hl7:code code=“57016-8” codeSystem=“2.16.840.1.113883.6.1” displayName=“PATIENT PRIVACY ACKNOWLEDGEMENT”/>

<hl7:code codeSystem="2.1.2.3.5.3049.1" code="OPTOUT" codeSystemName="OpenHIE Consent Policies"
        displayName="Opt-Out"/>

Cheers

-Justin

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Hello All,

1. Create two ODD entries, one containing only “normal” data and the other containing “normal+restricted” data. This would be identified in the “confidentiality” slots of the XDS meta-data sent to the registry (i.e. the restricted document will carry a restricted policy on XDS meta-data so the registry can perform necessary policy enforcement, this is how OSCAR works). The challenge here is to, in the “normal” document, identify that data is missing because it is restricted, I’ve never had to deal with this, my sense is emitting entries where all properties are nullFlavor=“MSK”.
  1. Determine who the user is on the end of the XDS request and have the ODD module include/not include records based on the user assertion. This is by far the most elegant solution however also the most complex as it would involve implementation of XUA to pass user assertions around. There is the SeR profile from IHE which allows the repository to get a policy enforcement decision from a policy manager (similar to a claim token if I remember correctly), however this profile is as new as PDQm so I’m not sure it is any easier.

Cheers

-Justin

Ryan Crichton

Lead Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Hi Ryan,

There are several ways to enforce opting out, however in XDS and BPPC they’re all typically controlled by the document source/consumer/registry on a document by document level using the “confidentialityCode” meta-data slot (which contains policies to be applied to the document). In XDS land, it is up to the source to append a correct policy identifier, the registry to enforce the confidentialityCode flag is sent in queries and the consumer to enforce whatever policies it receives from the registry (these are known as the BPPC enforcement options). The basic notion of this is that you trust a source/consumer/registry (through conformance testing) to properly apply the “opt-out” policy (if they don’t behave then they don’t get a certificate).

There is an issue with this paradigm which is what this suggestion was trying to work around; the fact that the registry may be bypassed for direct access into SHR. The suggestion was that the SHR (XDS Repository) do the enforcement of the opt-out policy by denying access to everything once it receives a BPPC document matching the template provided unless (yet to be determined) break the glass is supplied. This would mean that a POC application submits a BPPC document to the HIM via XDS which is forwarded to the repository. The repository will record the consent directive and update the meta-data on the registry to add the confidentiality code to the XDS meta-data for all documents that patient has (and, would need to add it to all future documents).

The more I think about this solution the less I like it.

I think that, the best/easiest/cleanest solution would be using a registry that enforces the BPPC policies via some basic rules engine. I think a more elegant and comprehensive way doing this would be:

1.   Implement a basic PIP in the SHR or HIM and point HIEOS at that PIP endpoint (basically the HIM or SHR play the role of a CDMS [Consent Directive Management Service])

2.   When the HIM/SHR receives a BPPC document like that below it simply stores that the patient opted out (simple directive like : DENY * for John Smith)

a. Alternate: Because there will be so few people opting out, it isn’t unreasonable to think that a human couldn’t maintain the list of DENY * directives.

1.   Whenever the SHR or XDS Registry (HIEOS in this case) receives a query it can check the PIP for any directives for that patient (HIEOS already does this to my knowledge) and can make the decision whether to disclose it or not.

The caveats to this are there needs to be a way to “break the glass” in a standard way that PoC systems will understand and commonly implement. The standard (XDS) way to do this is to convey a purpose of use code in a SAML assertion in the SOAP header (this is one of the nice things that XUA does). However all of that might slip past the 1.0 deadline, this may be a v1.1 or vX discussion to be had.

Cheers

-Justin

···

Hi Justin,

So, I’m stepping a little far outside of what I understand on this topic but are you suggesting the following (referencing your number 2 above):

• A document can be submitted that specifies if a patient want to opt out. (Where is this metadata stored? You mentioned the registry - is this the XDS registry or CR?)
  • When we receive a clinical document we store a normal copy and a normal + restricted copy (is this needed if we are doing a global opt-in opt-out?)
  • When a document is queried we check the opt-out switch stored in the registry, if its true we only return the normal document else we return the normal + restricted document?
    I’m not sure I’ve represented this correctly, could you please let me know if I have mis-represented this (I most likely have).

Cheers,

Ryan

1.   SHR performs a simple meta-data update to apply (or clear) the policy on the registry (best practice)

displayName="Opt-Out"/>

Cheers

-Justin

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Hello All,

1. Create two ODD entries, one containing only “normal” data and the other containing “normal+restricted” data. This would be identified in the “confidentiality” slots of the XDS meta-data sent to the registry (i.e. the restricted document will carry a restricted policy on XDS meta-data so the registry can perform necessary policy enforcement, this is how OSCAR works). The challenge here is to, in the “normal” document, identify that data is missing because it is restricted, I’ve never had to deal with this, my sense is emitting entries where all properties are nullFlavor=“MSK”.
  1. Determine who the user is on the end of the XDS request and have the ODD module include/not include records based on the user assertion. This is by far the most elegant solution however also the most complex as it would involve implementation of XUA to pass user assertions around. There is the SeR profile from IHE which allows the repository to get a policy enforcement decision from a policy manager (similar to a claim token if I remember correctly), however this profile is as new as PDQm so I’m not sure it is any easier.

Cheers

-Justin

Ryan Crichton

Thanks Justin, I think I’m starting to catch on. Perhaps, we can chat about this a bit more on the SHR later today.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Justin Fyfe justin.fyfe@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

Hi Ryan,

There are several ways to enforce opting out, however in XDS and BPPC they’re all typically controlled by the document source/consumer/registry on a document by document level using the “confidentialityCode” meta-data slot (which contains policies to be applied to the document). In XDS land, it is up to the source to append a correct policy identifier, the registry to enforce the confidentialityCode flag is sent in queries and the consumer to enforce whatever policies it receives from the registry (these are known as the BPPC enforcement options). The basic notion of this is that you trust a source/consumer/registry (through conformance testing) to properly apply the “opt-out” policy (if they don’t behave then they don’t get a certificate).

There is an issue with this paradigm which is what this suggestion was trying to work around; the fact that the registry may be bypassed for direct access into SHR. The suggestion was that the SHR (XDS Repository) do the enforcement of the opt-out policy by denying access to everything once it receives a BPPC document matching the template provided unless (yet to be determined) break the glass is supplied. This would mean that a POC application submits a BPPC document to the HIM via XDS which is forwarded to the repository. The repository will record the consent directive and update the meta-data on the registry to add the confidentiality code to the XDS meta-data for all documents that patient has (and, would need to add it to all future documents).

The more I think about this solution the less I like it.

I think that, the best/easiest/cleanest solution would be using a registry that enforces the BPPC policies via some basic rules engine. I think a more elegant and comprehensive way doing this would be:

1.   Implement a basic PIP in the SHR or HIM and point HIEOS at that PIP endpoint (basically the HIM or SHR play the role of a CDMS [Consent Directive Management Service])

1.   When the HIM/SHR receives a BPPC document like that below it simply stores that the patient opted out (simple directive like : DENY * for John Smith)

a. Alternate: Because there will be so few people opting out, it isn’t unreasonable to think that a human couldn’t maintain the list of DENY * directives.

1.   Whenever the SHR or XDS Registry (HIEOS in this case) receives a query it can check the PIP for any directives for that patient (HIEOS already does this to my knowledge) and can make the decision whether to disclose it or not.

The caveats to this are there needs to be a way to “break the glass” in a standard way that PoC systems will understand and commonly implement. The standard (XDS) way to do this is to convey a purpose of use code in a SAML assertion in the SOAP header (this is one of the nice things that XUA does). However all of that might slip past the 1.0 deadline, this may be a v1.1 or vX discussion to be had.

Cheers

-Justin

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2014 6:29 AM
To: Justin Fyfe
Cc: Derek Ritz (ecGroup); openhie-shr@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Confidentiality Codes in ODD CDAs

Hi Justin,

Cheers,

Ryan

displayName="Opt-Out"/>

Cheers

-Justin

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Hello All,

Cheers

-Justin

Ryan Crichton

Ryan Crichton