Care Services Discovery Update

Hi All,
I had a talk with Derek Ritz on Monday about what is likely happening with the Care Services Discovery (CSD) profile. As I understand it, there is some discussion of deprecating the use of HPD and LDAP because of issues making complex queries/joins.

In brief, what is being proposed is to:

• Use .xsd to define an XML-based data structure for provider and other data. This data structure will contain a subset which will map to the HPD LDAP data structure. I am not sure if this mapping would be a part of the CSD profile or not.
  • Use XQuery to query CSD. There would be particular queries that the CSD would be expected to support.

I do have some concerns on the implementation burden for a country to adopt CSD. I would love to see it as “cookie-cutter” as possible with minimal programming or configuration needed. Luckily it looks like we have at least two decent (open-source of course) options to chose from as a basis of a reference implementation:

Another thing that we should also think about is the backwards compatibility with HPD. In Rwanda, we are proceeding with an HPD implementation and an OpenMRS Provider Module has already been setup to pull in data from HPD. If we, for example, eventually implement CSD in Rwanda, we would want to ensure that CSD can still “speak” HPD so that the OpenMRS Provider Module doesn’t break.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers.
-carl

Interesting news, thanks for sharing Carl.

If the .xsd is still being defined should this group get involved to help that process? This may help to ensure that backward compatibility is considered.

So would a Provider Registry have to implement both the HPD profile and the CSD profile in an ideal situation or do the two profiles overlap in services that they provide?

Ryan

···

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM, cleitner litlfred@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,
I had a talk with Derek Ritz on Monday about what is likely happening with the Care Services Discovery (CSD) profile. As I understand it, there is some discussion of deprecating the use of HPD and LDAP because of issues making complex queries/joins.

• Use .xsd to define an XML-based data structure for provider and other data. This data structure will contain a subset which will map to the HPD LDAP data structure. I am not sure if this mapping would be a part of the CSD profile or not.
  • Use XQuery to query CSD. There would be particular queries that the CSD would be expected to support.

I do have some concerns on the implementation burden for a country to adopt CSD. I would love to see it as “cookie-cutter” as possible with minimal programming or configuration needed. Luckily it looks like we have at least two decent (open-source of course) options to chose from as a basis of a reference implementation:

Both look interesting and we should take some time to evaluate them. Perhaps someone already has first hand experience or could offer an alternative?

Another thing that we should also think about is the backwards compatibility with HPD. In Rwanda, we are proceeding with an HPD implementation and an OpenMRS Provider Module has already been setup to pull in data from HPD. If we, for example, eventually implement CSD in Rwanda, we would want to ensure that CSD can still “speak” HPD so that the OpenMRS Provider Module doesn’t break.

Cheers.
-carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Provider Registry” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to provider-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Ryan Crichton

Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Dear Ryan,
Yes, I think the .xsd is a great place for us to get involved. I know that it is going to reference some existing standards (ISO and HL7) but we should make sure our use cases are met. They HL7 is linked to here:

https://openhie.atlassian.net/wiki/display/projects/2014+Connectathon%3A+Interlinking+Registries+IHE+Profile+Development

under:

A provider registry can choose to implement either the HPD or CSD profile. In the ideal situation, I think that the CSD profile would be sufficient, although the scope of CSD is broader than that of HPD.

What I think make sense in terms CSD’s backwards compatibility to HPD clients it to take the “particular queries that CSD would be expected to support” and provide an XSLT, where relevant, to transform the response coming from the XQuery into the DSML
response would would expect from HPD. Does that make sense to you?

Cheers,

-carl

···

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM, cleitner
litlfred@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,

I do have some concerns on the implementation burden for a country to adopt CSD. I would love to see it as “cookie-cutter” as possible with minimal programming or configuration needed. Luckily it looks like we have at least two decent (open-source of course)
options to chose from as a basis of a reference implementation:

Both look interesting and we should take some time to evaluate them. Perhaps someone already has first hand experience or could offer an alternative?

Another thing that we should also think about is the backwards compatibility with HPD. In Rwanda, we are proceeding with an HPD implementation and an OpenMRS Provider Module has already been setup to pull in data from HPD. If we, for example, eventually
implement CSD in Rwanda, we would want to ensure that CSD can still “speak” HPD so that the OpenMRS Provider Module doesn’t break.

Cheers.

-carl

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Provider Registry” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to

provider-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Ryan Crichton

Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH
AFRICA

Hi Ryan, Carl et al.

No… the ISO 21091 standard is not publicly available. The IHE HPD profile, however, is – and that is the right source document to reference for CSD. This IHE spec is posted to the openHIE “standards” wiki page, too.

Carl, thanks for your explanation of CSD/HPD relationships and possible backward compatibility techniques. Very well said.

DJ

Derek Ritz, P.Eng., CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

···

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient, par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

From: provider-registry@googlegroups.com [mailto:provider-registry@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Carl Leitner
Sent: May 9, 2013 9:58 AM
To: Ryan Crichton
Cc: cleitner; provider-registry@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Care Services Discovery Update

Dear Ryan,

Yes, I think the .xsd is a great place for us to get involved. I know that it is going to reference some existing standards (ISO and HL7) but we should make sure our use cases are met. They HL7 is linked to here:

https://openhie.atlassian.net/wiki/display/projects/2014+Connectathon%3A+Interlinking+Registries+IHE+Profile+Development

under:

Not sure if the ISO (ISO/TS 21091) is publicly available or not.

A provider registry can choose to implement either the HPD or CSD profile. In the ideal situation, I think that the CSD profile would be sufficient, although the scope of CSD is broader than that of HPD.

What I think make sense in terms CSD’s backwards compatibility to HPD clients it to take the “particular queries that CSD would be expected to support” and provide an XSLT, where relevant, to transform the response coming from the XQuery into the DSML response would would expect from HPD. Does that make sense to you?

Cheers,
-carl

On May 9, 2013, at 3:37 AM, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

If the .xsd is still being defined should this group get involved to help that process? This may help to ensure that backward compatibility is considered.

So would a Provider Registry have to implement both the HPD profile and the CSD profile in an ideal situation or do the two profiles overlap in services that they provide?

Ryan

Hi All,

Cheers.
-carl

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to provider-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ryan Crichton

Hi,

Thanks, that does make a lot of sense. Providing some core XSLT’s would be great for backwards compatibility. Please excuse my ignorance here but does CSD then aim to provide a superset of the functions that HPD does?

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

Hi Ryan, Carl et al.

No… the ISO 21091 standard is not publicly available. The IHE HPD profile, however, is – and that is the right source document to reference for CSD. This IHE spec is posted to the openHIE “standards” wiki page, too.

Carl, thanks for your explanation of CSD/HPD relationships and possible backward compatibility techniques. Very well said.

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient, par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

From: provider-registry@googlegroups.com [mailto:provider-registry@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Carl Leitner

Dear Ryan,

under:

What I think make sense in terms CSD’s backwards compatibility to HPD clients it to take the “particular queries that CSD would be expected to support” and provide an XSLT, where relevant, to transform the response coming from the XQuery into the DSML response would would expect from HPD. Does that make sense to you?

Cheers,
-carl

Ryan

Hi All,

Cheers.
-carl

Ryan Crichton

Ryan Crichton

Hi Ryan.

Yes – CSD is a superset of HPD. HPD supports queries against organization and provider directories and the relationships between these (which providers work at which organizations). CSD supports queries against organization, provider, facility and service directories – and queries regarding the relationships between these.

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

···

From: provider-registry@googlegroups.com [mailto:provider-registry@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Ryan Crichton
Sent: May 9, 2013 10:17 AM
To: Derek Ritz (ecGroup)
Cc: Carl Leitner; cleitner; provider-registry@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thanks, that does make a lot of sense. Providing some core XSLT’s would be great for backwards compatibility. Please excuse my ignorance here but does CSD then aim to provide a superset of the functions that HPD does?

Cheers,

Ryan

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

Hi Ryan, Carl et al.

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Dear Ryan,

under:

Not sure if the ISO (ISO/TS 21091) is publicly available or not.

Cheers,
-carl

Ryan

Hi All,

Cheers.
-carl

Ryan Crichton

Ryan Crichton