Sample CDA document being used for initial SHR development work

Great, thanks Suranga.

One other thing that may be of use are the IHE content module pages on the IHE wiki contain a schematron definition (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1). These can be used to validate that the CDA document conforms to that Antepartum History and Physical profile.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org wrote:

Hi,

As per our discussion during yesterday’s call, i’ve posted the initial CDA sample document (which i’m using at this point) here.

Note that this is a very very basic and early version. I will try to update this into a valid Aphp document as I become more and more familiar with it.

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Hi all.

Thanks, Suranga, for the update and the good news. J

One small, but important, note: I don’t think that one CDA will contain multiple encounters. We will, I believe, be sending one CDA per encounter (as we are, today, sending one message per encounter).

Warmest regards,

Derek.

Derek Ritz, P.Eng., CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

···

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient, par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

From: Suranga Kasthurirathne [mailto:surangak@openmrs.org]
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2014 3:47 PM
To: Ryan Crichton
Cc: Hannes Venter; Jeremy Keiper; Derek Ritz, (ecGroup); openhie-shr@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Sample CDA document being used for initial SHR development work

Hi Guys,

A short update on what i’m planning to do in terms of upgrading this CDA document.

1. The document which I have at this point is successfully parsed by the MDHT API. I don’t think that its undergoing a very stringent validation, but at least it means that we’re not doing anything majorly wrong.

2. I tried validating the document using the online validation tool (http://cdatools.org/validation). This produced 9 errors and assorted warnings. I will be trying to resolve these over the next few days.

3. Looking at the ‘Sample Antepartum History and Physical Document’ found at (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1), I note that there are a number of sections which are specifically needed for each CDA type.

So based on this link, each CDA type NEEDS to have each of these segments, and I’ll be adding them onto my sample as well.

And as I see it, each section is equivalent to one encounter. So basically, one CDA document will be represented by multiple encounters. So looking ahead, i’m thinking that we will have to go ahead with what we discussed during the previous call, and have one visit type (and not encounter type) to represent a single CDA.

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 3:16 AM, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Great, thanks Suranga.

One other thing that may be of use are the IHE content module pages on the IHE wiki contain a schematron definition (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1). These can be used to validate that the CDA document conforms to that Antepartum History and Physical profile.

Cheers,

Ryan

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org wrote:

Hi,

As per our discussion during yesterday’s call, i’ve posted the initial CDA sample document (which i’m using at this point) here.

Note that this is a very very basic and early version. I will try to update this into a valid Aphp document as I become more and more familiar with it.

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Hi Guys,

So doesn’t denote an encounter. It’s an association class, so it can mean different things depending on the context.

E.g. a component encapsulates the entire body, components encapsulate different sections in the body, etc.

So I’m sure we’ll have multiple components per CDA regardless of the encounter(s).

I think it depends on the profile type (and how we use it :slight_smile: ) as to whether a document can contain multiple encounters.

The APHP document would be one encounter (as it’s captured during an initial visit), but things get a bit more complicated with the APS,

which could contain multiple encounters since it encapsulates a Mother’s entire care episode.

But of course that doesn’t mean we have to capture x encounters per transaction from the PoC, I agree with Derek that we should send one CDA per encounter [from the PoC].

A summary can then be built from the individual encounters.

I guess the question then is do we want to be able to parse a complete APS with multiple encounters in the SHR?

(one possible use-case could be the transfer of a patient’s complete record from another health system…)

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Hannes

PS Suranga, sorry I only now saw your earlier email: Please note that a section is not equivalent to an encounter. It’s merely a grouping; e.g. “medications”, “estimated due dates”, …

···

On 7 April 2014 05:34, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org wrote:

Hi Guys,

Hmm… so this confuses me a bit.

Do you mean to say that we don’t need to support multiple encounters per CDA document at this stage of development work, or that we don’t need to consider multiple encounters per CDA at any stage whatsoever ?

Since I had believed that the contents of one tag equaled one encounter, does this mean that each CDA document that e receive will contain only a single tag each ?

Hannes Venter

Senior Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27 73 276 2848 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: venter.johannes

E-mail: hannes@jembi.org

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

Hi all.

One small, but important, note: I don’t think that one CDA will contain multiple encounters. We will, I believe, be sending one CDA per encounter (as we are, today, sending one message per encounter).

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient, par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

Cc: Hannes Venter; Jeremy Keiper; Derek Ritz, (ecGroup); openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

Hi Guys,

A short update on what i’m planning to do in terms of upgrading this CDA document.

1. The document which I have at this point is successfully parsed by the MDHT API. I don’t think that its undergoing a very stringent validation, but at least it means that we’re not doing anything majorly wrong.
  1. I tried validating the document using the online validation tool (http://cdatools.org/validation). This produced 9 errors and assorted warnings. I will be trying to resolve these over the next few days.
  1. Looking at the ‘Sample Antepartum History and Physical Document’ found at (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1), I note that there are a number of sections which are specifically needed for each CDA type.

So based on this link, each CDA type NEEDS to have each of these segments, and I’ll be adding them onto my sample as well.

And as I see it, each section is equivalent to one encounter. So basically, one CDA document will be represented by multiple encounters. So looking ahead, i’m thinking that we will have to go ahead with what we discussed during the previous call, and have one visit type (and not encounter type) to represent a single CDA.

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Great, thanks Suranga.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Hey all,

@Suranga, it sounds like you are now making good progress :slight_smile:

@Hannes, thanks for the detailed response. In terms of your last question, I think that is really a question of maturity. I definitely think it would be useful to be able to parse an APS for another health systems however I don’t think that is our primary goal for now. What I’m thinking is that we should primarily focus on the following (in order):

1. Parse and discretely store an APHP document in the SHR.
  2. Enable the SHR to generate a (virtual) APS document from the discrete data to return to interested systems.
    Those seems to create some well defined goals for us. What do others think about this?

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Hannes Venter hannes@jembi.org wrote:

Hi Guys,

So doesn’t denote an encounter. It’s an association class, so it can mean different things depending on the context.

E.g. a component encapsulates the entire body, components encapsulate different sections in the body, etc.

So I’m sure we’ll have multiple components per CDA regardless of the encounter(s).

I think it depends on the profile type (and how we use it :slight_smile: ) as to whether a document can contain multiple encounters.

The APHP document would be one encounter (as it’s captured during an initial visit), but things get a bit more complicated with the APS,

which could contain multiple encounters since it encapsulates a Mother’s entire care episode.

But of course that doesn’t mean we have to capture x encounters per transaction from the PoC, I agree with Derek that we should send one CDA per encounter [from the PoC].

I guess the question then is do we want to be able to parse a complete APS with multiple encounters in the SHR?

(one possible use-case could be the transfer of a patient’s complete record from another health system…)

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Hannes

PS Suranga, sorry I only now saw your earlier email: Please note that a section is not equivalent to an encounter. It’s merely a grouping; e.g. “medications”, “estimated due dates”, …

Ryan Crichton

Hi Guys,

Do you mean to say that we don’t need to support multiple encounters per CDA document at this stage of development work, or that we don’t need to consider multiple encounters per CDA at any stage whatsoever ?

Since I had believed that the contents of one tag equaled one encounter, does this mean that each CDA document that e receive will contain only a single tag each ?

Hannes Venter

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Derek Ritz (ecGroup) derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com wrote:

Hi all.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Hi Guys,

1. I tried validating the document using the online validation tool (http://cdatools.org/validation). This produced 9 errors and assorted warnings. I will be trying to resolve these over the next few days.
  1. Looking at the ‘Sample Antepartum History and Physical Document’ found at (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1), I note that there are a number of sections which are specifically needed for each CDA type.

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Great, thanks Suranga.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Hi Suranga,

Thanks for the detailed example! Let do more of these :slight_smile:

So in the case above, by looking at the names of the sections “Required Chief Complaint Section content” and “Required History of Present Illness Section content” it seems that they should really be part of the same encounter. The whole APHP document is really the result of one encounter with a clinician (from my understanding). So maybe what we can do is make the whole document an encounter (in this case atleast), then each section can perhaps be an obs group and each observation can be an obs.

What do you think about this?

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:54 AM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org wrote:

Hi all,

I may have miscommunicated some of my intentions in my previous email.

There are several levels of nested tags in the APHP CDA, and I had not fully explained what I had intended.

Basically, my parser code runs as follows -

for (Section section : cd.getAllSections()) {

Encounter e = new Encounter();
  	-----

}

So basically, a is an encounter, and any tags within a section becomes an OpenMRS observation grouped under that encounter.

@Hannes, I saw your comment that a section did not represent an encounter, so i’m interested in your take on how you would handle this.

So (as far as what i’ve done to date) is as follows : the structure of the CDA, as mapped to OpenMRS, would be -

:

<templateId root='1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.13.2.1'/>
    <!-- Required Chief Complaint Section content -->
  <component>
  	<observation classCode="OBS" moodCode="EVN"> <!-- this is obs no. 01 -->
  	</observation> 
  </component>
  <component>
  	<observation classCode="OBS" moodCode="EVN"> <!-- this is obs no. 02 -->
  	</observation> 
  </component>
  </section>

Here, everything highlighted in yellow is an encounter, and the green sections are individual obs. I was under the impression that there would be multiple tags (as highlighted in red) per CDA, but I see that this wont be the case, at least for the APHP document ?

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM, ops_djritz@hotmail.com ops_djritz@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi all.

Ryan, I agree that those are the right priorities.

DJ

Sent from my Mobile Phone.

-----Original message-----

To:** Hannes Venter hannes@jembi.orgCc: Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org, “Derek Ritz (ecGroup)” derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com, Jeremy Keiper jeremy@openmrs.org, “openhie-shr@googlegroups.comopenhie-shr@googlegroups.com**
Sent:** 2014 Apr, Mon, 7 11:58:33 GMT+00:00

Hey all,

@Hannes, thanks for the detailed response. In terms of your last question, I think that is really a question of maturity. I definitely think it would be useful to be able to parse an APS for another health systems however I don’t think that is our primary goal for now. What I’m thinking is that we should primarily focus on the following (in order):

2. Enable the SHR to generate a (virtual) APS document from the discrete data to return to interested systems.
    Those seems to create some well defined goals for us. What do others think about this?

Cheers,

Ryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Hannes

Ryan Crichton

Hi Guys,

Hannes Venter

Hi all.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Hi Guys,

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Great, thanks Suranga.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Hi all.

I’m inviting Justin Fyfe to give us a bit of insight into this. I worry that we’re hampered by our learning curve with the HL7v3 RIM. Hopefully Justin can help us with some quick advice.

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

···

Sent: Monday, April 7, 2014 11:54 PM
To: ops_djritz@hotmail.com
Cc: Ryan Crichton; Hannes Venter; Derek Ritz, (ecGroup); Jeremy Keiper; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

There are several levels of nested tags in the APHP CDA, and I had not fully explained what I had intended.

}

So basically, a is an encounter, and any tags within a section becomes an OpenMRS observation grouped under that encounter.

@Hannes, I saw your comment that a section did not represent an encounter, so i’m interested in your take on how you would handle this.

So (as far as what i’ve done to date) is as follows : the structure of the CDA, as mapped to OpenMRS, would be -

:

<component>

</observation> 

</component>

<component>

</observation> 

</component>

</section>

Here, everything highlighted in yellow is an encounter, and the green sections are individual obs. I was under the impression that there would be multiple tags (as highlighted in red) per CDA, but I see that this wont be the case, at least for the APHP document ?

Best regards,

Suranga

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM, ops_djritz@hotmail.com ops_djritz@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi all.

DJ

From: Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.orgTo: Hannes Venter hannes@jembi.orgCc: Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org, “Derek Ritz (ecGroup)” derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com, Jeremy Keiper jeremy@openmrs.org, “openhie-shr@googlegroups.comopenhie-shr@googlegroups.comSent: 2014 Apr, Mon, 7 11:58:33 GMT+00:00

Subject:** Re: Sample CDA document being used for initial SHR development work

Hey all,

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Hannes

Hi Guys,

Hi all.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Hi Guys,

2. I tried validating the document using the online validation tool (http://cdatools.org/validation). This produced 9 errors and assorted warnings. I will be trying to resolve these over the next few days.

3. Looking at the ‘Sample Antepartum History and Physical Document’ found at (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1), I note that there are a number of sections which are specifically needed for each CDA type.

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Great, thanks Suranga.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Hannes Venter

Ryan Crichton

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Shared Health Record (OpenHIE)” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Hi all.

I’m inviting Justin Fyfe to give us a bit of insight into this. I worry that we’re hampered by our learning curve with the HL7v3 RIM. Hopefully Justin can help us with some quick advice.

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

···

Cc: Ryan Crichton; Hannes Venter; Derek Ritz, (ecGroup); Jeremy Keiper; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

}

:

<component>

</observation> 

</component>

<component>

</observation> 

</component>

</section>

Best regards,

Suranga

Hi all.

DJ

From: Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.orgTo: Hannes Venter hannes@jembi.orgCc: Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org, “Derek Ritz (ecGroup)” derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com, Jeremy Keiper jeremy@openmrs.org, “openhie-shr@googlegroups.comopenhie-shr@googlegroups.comSent: 2014 Apr, Mon, 7 11:58:33 GMT+00:00

Hey all,

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Hannes

Hi Guys,

Hi all.

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Hi Guys,

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Great, thanks Suranga.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi,

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Hannes Venter

Ryan Crichton

Hi Derek/All,

Apologies for the delayed reply, I was stuck trying to fix ETL packages all day. A boring albeit insightful adventure into de-identification and data warehousing

I’m not sure what the question is, but I will type a lengthy reply anyways, hoping to hit the mark
J

A element is an ActRelationship which is used in the RIM to link two instances of Act (Acts in the generic RIM sense) together. So you may see
linking an a clinical statement with observations, or sections to sub sections, observations to sub-observations, etc. Hannes is right, the semantics of will change based on context, which isn’t too difficult to handle, just something to keep in
mind.

Additionally, keep an eye on moodCode. I’m not sure about APS and APHP but in CCDA and CCD moodCode changes the semantic meaning of an entry. For example, a
substanceAdministration with moodCode=’EVN’ would mean something did happen (i.e. a substance was administered) versus a moodCode=’INT’ which means there is an intent to do something (i.e. I intend for a substance to be administered), versus moodCode=’RQO’
which represents a request to perform the act. Typically the template will restrict these values and explain the semantics, however it might change where you import the data into your internal data model.

We have implemented (here at Mohawk) some CDA stuff (XPHR and a proprietary set of templates for a commercial PHR vendor) into the OSCAR EMR. I’m not familiar
with the APHP or APS templates, so I’m not sure how useful the next bit of implementation experience will be
J.

We designed the import of data based on the section/entry level using the templateId to construct an appropriate “parser” implementation. Basically grab the
templateId and construct an appropriate parser that handled that particular type of data and let the “parser” do the construction of an appropriate data model object before being persisted. For example, when the software encountered a section with template
id “1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.5.3.2” (coded vital signs), it constructs a vital signs importer (actually a factory handles this bit). The CodedVitalSignsImporter would then be responsible to translating the CDA stuff from that section context into the internal
representation of the software. Depending on the import procedure it might just grab the text (eyeball to eyeball interoperability) or it would import data from entries (again iterating and constructing relevant parsers). Coded vital signs could contain entries
with template id 1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.4.5 (Problem Observation) which would create an interpreter for that type of data (within the context of CodedVitalSigns).

This was (and still is) the grand design for importing data into the EMR. We ran into a bit of a snag with data fidelity and ended up implementing Document
Import rather than Discrete Data Import for the time being (the project is still under active development). I’ve also not had time to be debriefed on the “as-built” to see the delta of changes but from my understanding the implementation is very close to this
design.

Not sure if that helps, but it’s a technique we found works pretty well!

Cheers

-Justin

···

From: Derek Ritz (ecGroup) [mailto:derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:00 PM
To: ‘Suranga Kasthurirathne’; ops_djritz@hotmail.com; Fyfe, Justin
Cc: ‘Ryan Crichton’; ‘Hannes Venter’; ‘Jeremy Keiper’; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Sample CDA document being used for initial SHR development work

Hi all.

I’m inviting Justin Fyfe to give us a bit of insight into this. I worry that we’re hampered by our learning curve with the HL7v3 RIM. Hopefully
Justin can help us with some quick advice.

DJ

**Derek Ritz,**P.Eng., CPHIMS-CA

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other
delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message
and any attachments.

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur
ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient,
par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

Cc: Ryan Crichton; Hannes Venter; Derek Ritz, (ecGroup); Jeremy Keiper;
openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

}

:

</observation> 

</component>

</observation> 

</component>

</section>

Here, everything highlighted in yellow is an encounter, and the green sections are individual obs. I was under the impression that there would be multiple tags (as highlighted in red) per CDA, but I see that
this wont be the case, at least for the APHP document ?

Best regards,

Suranga

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM,
ops_djritz@hotmail.com ops_djritz@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi all.

DJ

To:
Hannes Venter hannes@jembi.org**
Cc:** Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org, “Derek Ritz (ecGroup)” derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com, Jeremy Keiper <jeremy@openmrs.org >,
openhie-shr@googlegroups.comopenhie-shr@googlegroups.com**

Hey all,

@Hannes, thanks for the detailed response. In terms of your last question, I think that is really a question of maturity. I definitely think it would be useful to be able to parse an APS for another health systems however
I don’t think that is our primary goal for now. What I’m thinking is that we should primarily focus on the following (in order):

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Hannes

Hi Guys,

Hi all.

Thanks, Suranga, for the update and the good news.
J

One small, but important, note: I don’t think that one CDA will contain multiple encounters.
We will, I believe, be sending one CDA per encounter (as we are, today, sending one message per encounter).

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain
information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

Le présent courriel et les documents qui y sont joints sont confidentiels et protégés et s’adressent exclusivement au destinataire mentionné ci-dessus. L’expéditeur
ne renonce pas aux droits et privilèges qui s’y rapportent ni à leur caractère confidentiel. Toute prise de connaissance, diffusion, utilisation ou reproduction de ce message ou des documents qui y sont joints, ainsi que des renseignements que chacun contient,
par une personne autre que le destinataire prévu est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le détruire immédiatement et m’en informer.

Cc: Hannes Venter; Jeremy Keiper; Derek Ritz, (ecGroup);

Hi Guys,

1. The document which I have at this point is successfully parsed by the MDHT API. I don’t think that its undergoing a very stringent validation, but at least
    it means that we’re not doing anything majorly wrong.

2. I tried validating the document using the online validation tool (http://cdatools.org/validation ).
    This produced 9 errors and assorted warnings. I will be trying to resolve these over the next few days.

3. Looking at the ’ Sample Antepartum History and Physical Document’ found
    at (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1 ), I note that
    there are a number of sections which are specifically needed for each CDA type.

So based on this link, each CDA type NEEDS to have each of these segments, and I’ll be adding them onto my sample as
well.

And as I see it, each section is equivalent to one encounter. So basically, one CDA document will be represented by multiple
encounters. So looking ahead, i’m thinking that we will have to go ahead with what we discussed during the previous call, and have one visit type (and not encounter type) to represent a single CDA.

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Great, thanks Suranga.

One other thing that may be of use are the IHE content module pages on the IHE wiki contain a schematron definition (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1 ).
These can be used to validate that the CDA document conforms to that Antepartum History and Physical profile.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi,

As per our discussion during yesterday’s call, i’ve posted the initial CDA sample document (which i’m using at this point)

here

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:
+27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton

Hannes Venter

Mobile:
+27 73 276 2848 | Office:
+27 21 701 0939 | Skype: venter.johannes

E-mail:
hannes@jembi.org

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
openhie-shr+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Hi Justin,

We really appreciate you getting back to us on this topic, and welcome your feedback on what we’re trying to do. You’ve certainly given us a lot to think about. Please give us some time to think everything over, and get back to you for more advice :slight_smile:

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

···

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Fyfe, Justin justin.fyfe1@mohawkcollege.ca wrote:

Hi Derek/All,

Apologies for the delayed reply, I was stuck trying to fix ETL packages all day. A boring albeit insightful adventure into de-identification and data warehousing

I’m not sure what the question is, but I will type a lengthy reply anyways, hoping to hit the mark
J

A element is an ActRelationship which is used in the RIM to link two instances of Act (Acts in the generic RIM sense) together. So you may see
linking an a clinical statement with observations, or sections to sub sections, observations to sub-observations, etc. Hannes is right, the semantics of will change based on context, which isn’t too difficult to handle, just something to keep in
mind.

Additionally, keep an eye on moodCode. I’m not sure about APS and APHP but in CCDA and CCD moodCode changes the semantic meaning of an entry. For example, a
substanceAdministration with moodCode=’EVN’ would mean something did happen (i.e. a substance was administered) versus a moodCode=’INT’ which means there is an intent to do something (i.e. I intend for a substance to be administered), versus moodCode=’RQO’
which represents a request to perform the act. Typically the template will restrict these values and explain the semantics, however it might change where you import the data into your internal data model.

We have implemented (here at Mohawk) some CDA stuff (XPHR and a proprietary set of templates for a commercial PHR vendor) into the OSCAR EMR. I’m not familiar
with the APHP or APS templates, so I’m not sure how useful the next bit of implementation experience will be
J.

We designed the import of data based on the section/entry level using the templateId to construct an appropriate “parser” implementation. Basically grab the
templateId and construct an appropriate parser that handled that particular type of data and let the “parser” do the construction of an appropriate data model object before being persisted. For example, when the software encountered a section with template
id “1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.5.3.2” (coded vital signs), it constructs a vital signs importer (actually a factory handles this bit). The CodedVitalSignsImporter would then be responsible to translating the CDA stuff from that section context into the internal
representation of the software. Depending on the import procedure it might just grab the text (eyeball to eyeball interoperability) or it would import data from entries (again iterating and constructing relevant parsers). Coded vital signs could contain entries
with template id 1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.4.5 (Problem Observation) which would create an interpreter for that type of data (within the context of CodedVitalSigns).

This was (and still is) the grand design for importing data into the EMR. We ran into a bit of a snag with data fidelity and ended up implementing Document
Import rather than Discrete Data Import for the time being (the project is still under active development). I’ve also not had time to be debriefed on the “as-built” to see the delta of changes but from my understanding the implementation is very close to this
design.

Cheers

-Justin

Cc: ‘Ryan Crichton’; ‘Hannes Venter’; ‘Jeremy Keiper’; openhie-shr@googlegroups.com

Hi all.

I’m inviting Justin Fyfe to give us a bit of insight into this. I worry that we’re hampered by our learning curve with the HL7v3 RIM. Hopefully

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain information which is privileged or confidential. Any other
delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message
and any attachments.

Hi all,

-----
                    ---
            }

:
<component>
  <section> <!-- encounter number one -->
                                </observation> 
                    </component>
                                </observation> 
                    </component>
  </section>  
</component>
<component>
  <section> <!-- encounter number two -->
    <templateId root='1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.3.4'/>
    <!-- Required History of Present Illness Section content -->
  </section>
</component>

Here, everything highlighted in yellow is an encounter, and the green sections are individual obs. I was under the impression that there would be multiple tags (as highlighted in red) per CDA, but I see that

Best regards,

Suranga

Hi all.

DJ

To:
Cc:** Suranga Kasthurirathne surangak@openmrs.org, “Derek Ritz (ecGroup)” derek.ritz@ecgroupinc.com, Jeremy Keiper <jeremy@openmrs.org >,

Hey all,

@Hannes, thanks for the detailed response. In terms of your last question, I think that is really a question of maturity. I definitely think it would be useful to be able to parse an APS for another health systems however
I don’t think that is our primary goal for now. What I’m thinking is that we should primarily focus on the following (in order):

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Hannes

Hi Guys,

Hi all.

J

One small, but important, note: I don’t think that one CDA will contain multiple encounters.
We will, I believe, be sending one CDA per encounter (as we are, today, sending one message per encounter).

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

This communication is intended only for the party to whom it is addressed, and may contain
information which is privileged or confidential. Any other delivery, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of privilege or confidentiality. If you have received this telecommunication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by return electronic mail and destroy the message and any attachments.

Hi Guys,

1. The document which I have at this point is successfully parsed by the MDHT API. I don’t think that its undergoing a very stringent validation, but at least
  1. I tried validating the document using the online validation tool (http://cdatools.org/validation ).
    This produced 9 errors and assorted warnings. I will be trying to resolve these over the next few days.
  1. Looking at the ’ Sample Antepartum History and Physical Document’ found
    at (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1 ), I note that

So based on this link, each CDA type NEEDS to have each of these segments, and I’ll be adding them onto my sample as
well.

And as I see it, each section is equivalent to one encounter. So basically, one CDA document will be represented by multiple
encounters. So looking ahead, i’m thinking that we will have to go ahead with what we discussed during the previous call, and have one visit type (and not encounter type) to represent a single CDA.

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Great, thanks Suranga.

One other thing that may be of use are the IHE content module pages on the IHE wiki contain a schematron definition (http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.1.16.1.1 ).
These can be used to validate that the CDA document conforms to that Antepartum History and Physical profile.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi,

As per our discussion during yesterday’s call, i’ve posted the initial CDA sample document (which i’m using at this point)

here

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

Hannes Venter

Mobile:

E-mail:
hannes@jembi.org

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to

For more options, visit

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended

only for the individual or entity named in the message. If the reader

of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible

to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that

any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication

is prohibited. If this communication was received in error, please

notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy

the original message.

Best Regards,

Suranga

Hi all,

I really like Justin’s idea of having a number of parsers where each parser implementation handles a specific template id. This would give us a way to focus on a specific template section and write a parser for that and iterate to create more parsers as needed. Given the fact that we are also storing the entire document as is, we could also choose to ignore importing discrete content where we don’t have a parser for that template id. This will give us a way to build our support over time for new templates.

What do you think Suranga?

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangakas@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Justin,

We really appreciate you getting back to us on this topic, and welcome your feedback on what we’re trying to do. You’ve certainly given us a lot to think about. Please give us some time to think everything over, and get back to you for more advice :slight_smile:

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Fyfe, Justin justin.fyfe1@mohawkcollege.ca wrote:

Hi Derek/All,

J

mind.

J.

design.

Cheers

-Justin

Hi all.

DJ

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

and any attachments.

Hi all,

-----
                    ---
            }

:
<component>
  <section> <!-- encounter number one -->
                                </observation> 
                    </component>
                                </observation> 
                    </component>
  </section>  
</component>
<component>
  <section> <!-- encounter number two -->
    <templateId root='1.3.6.1.4.1.19376.1.5.3.1.3.4'/>
    <!-- Required History of Present Illness Section content -->
  </section>
</component>

Best regards,

Suranga

Hi all.

DJ

To:

Hey all,

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Guys,

What do you guys think?

Cheers

Hannes

Hi Guys,

Hi all.

J

Warmest regards,

Derek.

ecGroup Inc.

+1 (905) 515-0045

www.ecgroupinc.com

Hi Guys,

1. I tried validating the document using the online validation tool (http://cdatools.org/validation ).
  1. Looking at the ’ Sample Antepartum History and Physical Document’ found

well.

Thanks and best regards,

Suranga

Great, thanks Suranga.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi,

here

Best regards,

Suranga

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

Hannes Venter

Mobile:

E-mail:
hannes@jembi.org

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:

For more options, visit

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended

only for the individual or entity named in the message. If the reader

of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible

to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that

any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication

is prohibited. If this communication was received in error, please

notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy

the original message.

Suranga

Best Regards,