Please Respond - Request for feedback from Terminology Services Community

Your Input is Requested from the Terminology Services

During our last Community Call Jack Bowie outlined next steps for the community, to move forward we asked all community members to send what they feel are the required/useful terminology standards. We will then use this information to move forward. Please take a few minutes to respond to this email, we ask that you simply provide what you feel are the required/useful terminologies for OpenHIE.

Jennifer L Williams, MPH

Hi Jennifer or others on the list,

Can you provide more clarity on the question and what is the context? As stated, I think we’re going to just get the usual suspects (e.g. SNOMED, ICD, CPT, LOINC, RxNorm, etc.).

Thanks,

Jon

···

Jonathan Payne, MS

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Jennifer Williams jenniferlwilliams1@gmail.com wrote:

During our last Community Call Jack Bowie outlined next steps for the community, to move forward we asked all community members to send what they feel are the required/useful terminology standards. We will then use this information to move forward. Please take a few minutes to respond to this email, we ask that you simply provide what you feel are the required/useful terminologies for OpenHIE.

Jennifer L Williams, MPH

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Terminology Services” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Jonathan,

Thanks very much for the list. A couple comments:

·
ICD means many things to many people. What variants do OpenHIE clients want: 9-CM, 10-CM, 10-PCS, 10-CA, 10-AU, etc.?

·
Drugs are also problematic. RxNorm (and NDF-RT) are very US-centric. Is there a more international set or are we always going to need a local national
system?

My purpose is to try to understand what loaders/support we should provide “out-of-the-box”, but there may be others.

Thanks,

Jack

On Behalf Of Jonathan Payne

···

Can you provide more clarity on the question and what is the context? As stated, I think we’re going to just get the usual suspects (e.g. SNOMED, ICD, CPT, LOINC, RxNorm, etc.).

Thanks,

Jon

Jonathan Payne, MS

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Jennifer Williams jenniferlwilliams1@gmail.com wrote:

During our last Community Call Jack Bowie outlined next steps for the community, to move forward we asked all community members to send what they feel are the required/useful terminology standards. We will then use this information to move
forward. Please take a few minutes to respond to this email, we ask that you simply provide
what you feel are the required/useful terminologies for OpenHIE.

Jennifer L Williams, MPH

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Terminology Services” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to

terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to

Hi.

The use cases that are being talked about the most up to this point are: maternal/child health, HIV, TB, and insurance transaction validation. All of these use cases are within a resource-limited context, outside of places like US and Europe (so far).

We also want the ability to represent discrete data about clinical observables almost always.

Wouldn’t we want to see adapt/adopt/create something more akin to an interface terminology inside the HIE that serves as a form of ETIDs for clinical concepts, mapped to reference standards when they are available?

That would move me more down a model of working with someone like IMO and leveraging the mappings where they are relevant, or adopting a minimum data set specification from WHO and extending it as necessary.

Shrug, I’ve never succeeded with taking something off the shelf for this kind of circumstances. I’ve been able to often successfully pull from things off the shelf once I understood what my terms were for a given circumstance, however.

-Paul

···

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Jack Bowie jbowie@apelon.com wrote:

Jonathan,

·
ICD means many things to many people. What variants do OpenHIE clients want: 9-CM, 10-CM, 10-PCS, 10-CA, 10-AU, etc.?

·
Drugs are also problematic. RxNorm (and NDF-RT) are very US-centric. Is there a more international set or are we always going to need a local national
system?

My purpose is to try to understand what loaders/support we should provide “out-of-the-box”, but there may be others.

Thanks,

Jack

From: terminology-services@googlegroups.com [mailto:terminology-services@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:35 AM
To: terminology-services@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Please Respond - Request for feedback from Terminology Services Community

Thanks,

Jon

Jonathan Payne, MS

During our last Community Call Jack Bowie outlined next steps for the community, to move forward we asked all community members to send what they feel are the required/useful terminology standards. We will then use this information to move
forward. Please take a few minutes to respond to this email, we ask that you simply provide

Jennifer L Williams, MPH

For more options, visit

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Paul,

Definitely agree with a needs/use-case focus. I was simply hoping that the team would have already been able to identify what code systems were/will be in use
for implementations with which they were familiar, e.g., I know LOINC is being used in Rwanda.

Would be great to focus on, or at least recommend, a specific Interface Terminology. The issue comes back to things we have discussed in the Planning and Implementation
Guide. Are we principally dealing with clean-slate, i.e., brand new, implementations where we can choose the interface mechanism or are there existing source systems we have to contend with? In my most recent call with the Philippines, for example, they mentioned
they have at least 4 local “terminologies” (MoH, insurance, etc.) that they will need to map to some Reference Terminology(s).

Also, specific Reference Terminologies may be necessary for reporting requirements. What code systems (if any) does WHO require for reporting?

The goal of our Terminology Catalog is to try to answer some of these questions.

Thanks,

Jack

On Behalf Of Paul Biondich

···

Hi.

From my vantage point, I’d focus more on needs than on the specific standards we need.

The use cases that are being talked about the most up to this point are: maternal/child health, HIV, TB, and insurance transaction validation. All of these use cases are within a resource-limited context, outside of places like US and
Europe (so far).

We also want the ability to represent discrete data about clinical observables almost always.

Wouldn’t we want to see adapt/adopt/create something more akin to an interface terminology inside the HIE that serves as a form of ETIDs for clinical concepts, mapped to reference standards when they are available?

That would move me more down a model of working with someone like IMO and leveraging the mappings where they are relevant, or adopting a minimum data set specification from WHO and extending it as necessary.

Shrug, I’ve never succeeded with taking something off the shelf for this kind of circumstances. I’ve been able to often successfully pull from things off the shelf once I understood what my terms were for a given circumstance, however.

-Paul

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Jack Bowie jbowie@apelon.com wrote:

Jonathan,

·

·
Drugs are also problematic. RxNorm (and NDF-RT) are very US-centric. Is there a more international set or are we always going to need a local national system?

My purpose is to try to understand what loaders/support we should provide “out-of-the-box”, but there
may be others.

Thanks,

Jack

terminology-services@googlegroups.com [mailto:terminology-services@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:35 AM
To:
terminology-services@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Please Respond - Request for feedback from Terminology Services Community

Thanks,

Jon

Jonathan Payne, MS

During our last Community Call Jack Bowie outlined next steps for the community, to move forward we asked all community members to send what they feel are the required/useful terminology
standards. We will then use this information to move forward. Please take a few minutes to respond to this email, we ask that you simply provide

Jennifer L Williams, MPH

For more options, visit

For more options, visit

For more options, visit