Etherpad to try get all of our questions together.

Hi Nicolas,

Hope you are well and apologies for not making the introductions sooner. To the OpenHIE team Nicolas is the CEO of BlueSquare, an organisation that is leading the developent of OpenRBF.org - a results based financing tool, and we met while at the USAID meeting in Malawi. Nicolas and I were on a panel discussing our experiences in the field and through our offline discussions around OpenHIE and interoperability there were a few questions that came up.

I thought it best to raise them here and introduce Nicolas to the Facility registry community (https://wiki.ohie.org/display/resources/Mailing+Lists) [@Nicolas: you may need to subscribe to post to the list] and also include Shaun Grannis who is the OpenHIE architect and heads up the Architecture group.

Nicolas and I were chatting and 2 questions came out for the

HIE community of practice :

(i) taxonomy of output indicators: (@Nicolas: you may need to elaborate here a little more)

(ii) facility single identifier: Is there a standard way of representing a facility identifier (method of coding or format etc)

Nicolas welcome to some of the OpenHIE communities (all be it a subset) and hope we can continue the discussion.

Regards

···

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Nicolas De Borman ndeborman@bluesquare.org wrote:

Dear Carl,

It was a pleasure to meet you in Lilongwe.

I haven’t forgotten the two points that we wanted to bring up in the
​​

HIE community of practice : (i) taxonomy of output indicators, (ii) facility single identifier.

We are super busy this week, but I’ll push these questions next week.

Hope to work more together in the future,

Thanks and regards,

Nicolas

Carl Fourie

Assistant Director of Programs, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA
Mobile: +27 71 540 4477 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: carl.fourie17
E-mail: carl.fourie@jembi.org

Nicolas de Borman**

CEO
GSM: +32 48 69 59 911
Tel: +32 2 737 65 16

Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Facebook
Visit our new website

Hi Nicolas,

It is great to be connected with you, thanks for sharing your questions. If you could share some additional detail for your first question regarding indicator taxonomy, that would be really helpful. For your second question on facility identifiers, I think that typically it depends on how you are planning to use the identifier. Could you share a bit more about your project?

One thing I would suggest to explore using, that was helpful for facility registry implementations, was a Luhn algorithm to incorporate a check-digit into their facility IDs. This was chosen to reduce online/offline transcription errors in semi-connected environments. Other scenarios such as system integrations, may have different requirements on identifiers though. I would be happy to elaborate or show you how this was achieved.

We also were thinking of drafting a 1-pager from OpenHIE on facility identifiers as a reusable resource. If you, or anyone else reading this, would like to contribute or help review, let us know.

Best,

Scott

···

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Carl Fourie carl@jembi.org wrote:

Hi Nicolas,

Hope you are well and apologies for not making the introductions sooner. To the OpenHIE team Nicolas is the CEO of BlueSquare, an organisation that is leading the developent of OpenRBF.org - a results based financing tool, and we met while at the USAID meeting in Malawi. Nicolas and I were on a panel discussing our experiences in the field and through our offline discussions around OpenHIE and interoperability there were a few questions that came up.

I thought it best to raise them here and introduce Nicolas to the Facility registry community (https://wiki.ohie.org/display/resources/Mailing+Lists) [@Nicolas: you may need to subscribe to post to the list] and also include Shaun Grannis who is the OpenHIE architect and heads up the Architecture group.

(i) taxonomy of output indicators: (@Nicolas: you may need to elaborate here a little more)

(ii) facility single identifier: Is there a standard way of representing a facility identifier (method of coding or format etc)

Nicolas welcome to some of the OpenHIE communities (all be it a subset) and hope we can continue the discussion.

Regards

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Facility Registry (OHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to facility-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Carl Fourie

E-mail: carl.fourie@jembi.org

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Nicolas De Borman ndeborman@bluesquare.org wrote:

Dear Carl,

​​

HIE community of practice : (i) taxonomy of output indicators, (ii) facility single identifier.

Thanks and regards,

Nicolas

Nicolas de Borman**

CEO

Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Facebook
Visit our new website

Scott Teesdale
Project Manager - InSTEDD

Email: steesdale@instedd.org

Social: Twitter / LinkedIn

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the group Nicholas.

I’d like to share with you the effort of the government of Nigeria to develop a coding algorithm to allocate unique identifiers to health facilities across the country which we wrote up in a paper. It certainly has its limitations but this is what has been done so far in Nigeria. Is it being used across systems yet? The answer is no but there is increased attention being directed towards us achieving this. We have just set up a Google group focused on Nigeria health facility registry where we are raising awareness about this effort and garnering support. You are welcome to join the discussion there if you are interested in talking about Nigeria

Regards’

Olusesan Makinde.

···

On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 1:13:35 PM UTC+1, Carl Fourie wrote:

Hi Nicolas,

Regards

Carl Fourie

E-mail: carl....@jembi.org

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Nicolas De Borman ndeb...@bluesquare.org wrote:

Dear Carl,

​​

Thanks and regards,

Nicolas

Nicolas de Borman**

CEO

Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Facebook
Visit our new website

Olusesan,

This is interesting development for Nigeria – we too have our own attempt at a facility registry in the Philippines and will be happy to learn from you (and also share our own).

alvin

···

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Olusesan Makinde sesmak@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the group Nicholas.

I’d like to share with you the effort of the government of Nigeria to develop a coding algorithm to allocate unique identifiers to health facilities across the country which we wrote up in a paper. It certainly has its limitations but this is what has been done so far in Nigeria. Is it being used across systems yet? The answer is no but there is increased attention being directed towards us achieving this. We have just set up a Google group focused on Nigeria health facility registry where we are raising awareness about this effort and garnering support. You are welcome to join the discussion there if you are interested in talking about Nigeria

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25422720

Regards’

Olusesan Makinde.

On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 1:13:35 PM UTC+1, Carl Fourie wrote:

Hi Nicolas,

Regards

Carl Fourie

E-mail: carl....@jembi.org

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Nicolas De Borman ndeb...@bluesquare.org wrote:

Dear Carl,

​​

Thanks and regards,

Nicolas

Nicolas de Borman**

CEO

Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Facebook
Visit our new website

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Facility Registry (OHIE)” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to facility-registry+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Alvin B. Marcelo

ph.linkedin.com/in/alvinmarcelo

www.researchgate.net/profile/Alvin_Marcelo

resume