Drug coding standards

Hi Angshuman,

If I remember correctly in Rwanda HIE we spoke of using RxNorm but I don’t think we are capturing much about drugs in the HIE in its current form. I’ve included some of my colleges that will be able to comment more about this.

I’ve also included the OpenHIE terminology services community. They may be able to guide you more. You can also join their mailing list here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/terminology-services

Hope this helps,

Ryan

···

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Angshuman Sarkar angshus@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Andrew, Darius, Ryan
Wanted to find out what drug coding standards are being used in Rwanda HIE and other places where you would want to standardize drug catalogs across PoS and for analysis and information exchange through a central HIE system.

I know that there are RxNorm or dm+d, which, I think, are specific to USA and UK respectively. (Not sure whether they require licensing). WHO maintains a drug dictionary - WHO-DD, which includes ATC classification codes. But is WHO-DD a parallel coding mechanism to RxNorm?

Bangladesh DGDA maintains all registered products in the country but I don’t think they maintain a coding as such.

Bangladesh will form a “Terminologies working group” in months to come, its still very early stage. This is more for our research and input to that group.

Looking forward to your comments
thanks and regards

~angshu

Ryan Crichton

Lead Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Hi Angshuman,

I know the ministry wanted to look into DM+d, and then ATC as well for ingredients for the Rwanda HIE; however there’s nothing implemented using these at the moment as far as I’m aware.

Kind Regards

Hannes

···

On 27 August 2014 15:31, Ryan Crichton ryan@jembi.org wrote:

Hi Angshuman,

If I remember correctly in Rwanda HIE we spoke of using RxNorm but I don’t think we are capturing much about drugs in the HIE in its current form. I’ve included some of my colleges that will be able to comment more about this.

I’ve also included the OpenHIE terminology services community. They may be able to guide you more. You can also join their mailing list here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/terminology-services

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Hannes Venter

Senior Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27 73 276 2848 | Office: +27 21 701 0939 | Skype: venter.johannes

E-mail: hannes@jembi.org

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Angshuman Sarkar angshus@thoughtworks.com wrote:

Hi Andrew, Darius, Ryan
Wanted to find out what drug coding standards are being used in Rwanda HIE and other places where you would want to standardize drug catalogs across PoS and for analysis and information exchange through a central HIE system.

I know that there are RxNorm or dm+d, which, I think, are specific to USA and UK respectively. (Not sure whether they require licensing). WHO maintains a drug dictionary - WHO-DD, which includes ATC classification codes. But is WHO-DD a parallel coding mechanism to RxNorm?

Bangladesh DGDA maintains all registered products in the country but I don’t think they maintain a coding as such.

Bangladesh will form a “Terminologies working group” in months to come, its still very early stage. This is more for our research and input to that group.

thanks and regards

~angshu

Ryan Crichton

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton

As a bit of background, RxNorm is freely available, but definitely has a US focus. Unfortunately, most drug reference databases tend to be very country-specific.
That said, a terminology server (DTS being one example) should be able to hold (represent) and serve information drawn from any national resource data set.

Best regards,

Jack

On Behalf Of Hannes Venter

···

Hi Angshuman,

I know the ministry wanted to look into DM+d, and then ATC as well for ingredients for the Rwanda HIE; however there’s nothing implemented using these at the moment as far as I’m aware.

Kind Regards

Hannes

Hi Angshuman,

I’ve also included the OpenHIE terminology services community. They may be able to guide you more. You can also join their mailing list here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/terminology-services

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Hi Andrew, Darius, Ryan

I know that there are RxNorm or dm+d, which, I think, are specific to USA and UK respectively. (Not sure whether they require licensing). WHO maintains a drug dictionary - WHO-DD, which includes ATC classification codes. But is WHO-DD a parallel coding mechanism
to RxNorm?

thanks and regards

~angshu

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:
+27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton

Hannes Venter

E-mail:
hannes@jembi.org

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Terminology Services” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

As a bit of background, RxNorm is freely available, but definitely has a US focus. Unfortunately, most drug reference databases tend to be very country-specific.
That said, a terminology server (DTS being one example) should be able to hold (represent) and serve information drawn from any national resource data set.

Best regards,

Jack

···

Hi Angshuman,

Kind Regards

Hannes

Hi Angshuman,

I’ve also included the OpenHIE terminology services community. They may be able to guide you more. You can also join their mailing list here:

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Hi Andrew, Darius, Ryan

I know that there are RxNorm or dm+d, which, I think, are specific to USA and UK respectively. (Not sure whether they require licensing). WHO maintains a drug dictionary - WHO-DD, which includes ATC classification codes. But is WHO-DD a parallel coding mechanism
to RxNorm?

thanks and regards

~angshu

Ryan Crichton

Mobile:
+27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton

Hannes Venter

E-mail:
hannes@jembi.org

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Terminology Services” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
terminology-services+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Dear All,

Thanks for all the responses. This is super helpful.

@Andrew, by “drug classes”, do you mean WHO-DD ATC classification? Is WHO-DD ATC a good starting point?

I guess a process should be established regarding how to map existing drugs to whichever coding system they adopt or BD “Terminologies Group” invent their own coding!

Bangladesh officials are sort of inclined to go WHO way, although I have learned that in the past different efforts have been made for cataloging. I am trying to find out but I doubt they have done any mapping to any coding standard like ATC or RxNorm.

Btw, nothing is finalized (far from it), and we are hoping that at least the discussions start along the right track in the “working group” to be established.

As I mentioned, Bangladesh DGDA maintains drugs’ catalog. e.g http://www.dgda.gov.bd/index.php/manufacturers/allopathic

If you notice there are other drugs like Homeopathic, Ayurvedic etc and there are hospitals for such as well.

Have you faced circumstances where there are non-allopathic PoS advising non-allopathic drugs as well and what could be suggestive way forward?

thanks and regards

~angshu

Another aspect is that,

···

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Andrew Kanter wrote:

At least with OpenMRS, we are considering how to leverage RxNorm as a core of a more globally-relevant drug reference data. Supporting all of the use cases covered by existing formulary service vendors is not currently in scope. However initially looking at drug classes to support allergy checking and formulation to support electronic dispensing are on the short list, however…

Andy

Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH FACMI

Asst. Prof. Clinical Biomedical Informatics
and Clinical Epidemiology

On Aug 27, 2014, at 8:07 PM, Jack Bowie wrote:

Best regards,

Jack

From: terminology-services@googlegroups.com [mailto:terminology-services@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:25 AM
To: Ryan Crichton
Cc: Angshuman Sarkar; Wayne Naidoo; Andrew Kanter; Darius Jazayeri; Unnat Gupta; terminology-services@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Drug coding standards

Hi Angshuman,

Kind Regards

Hannes

On 27 August 2014 15:31, Ryan Crichton wrote:

Hi Angshuman,

Hope this helps,

Ryan

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Angshuman Sarkar wrote:

Hi Andrew, Darius, Ryan

to RxNorm?

thanks and regards

~angshu

Ryan Crichton