Discussion on OpenHIE Monitoring and Evaluation design

I agree with Shaun. But there do seem to be two layers. The most “technical” layer is monitoring connections, transaction rate, response time; the monitored values are compared against service levels. The second layer is more content oriented – the number of encounters per visit type per time unit should stay relatively constant; the number of encounters per provider per time unit should stay relatively constant; the number of common diagnoses or prescriptions for common drugs or orders for common lab tests at a facility per unit of time should stay relatively constant or be seasonal; the number of patient creation events per time unit should taper off from initial values when the site came on line. Anomalies at this level may indicate software/hardware malfunctions or user/site problems. This second layer requires anomaly detection algorithms and has many similarities to epidemic detection. And the distance from this second layer to performance indicators is small.

···

Shaun J. Grannis, MD MS FACMI FAAFP
Biomedical Research Scientist, The Regenstrief Institute
Associate Professor, I.U. School of Medicine
410 West 10th Street, Suite 2000
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 274-9092 (Office)

(317) 274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangakas@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Ed, I did have a good conversation with Mario on this matter.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t actually look at the NewRelic demo in action… i’m also interested in Poirot, which we may be able to use, at least in terms of learning how/what to do.

I’m definitely sure that RHIE would benefit from adopting NewRelic for their FR. Mario thinks that we may be able to use a free account, which is what i’m also rooting for. I will try to raise this matter with the RHIE team, and see their response.

On a separate tangent, it might be useful to find some time on a call, especially to discuss our boundaries/scope, as @Roger pointed out.

Best regards,

Suranga

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org wrote:

Thanks Suranga.

Please feel free to ask more about poirot and NewRelic; we’ll be glad to explain to whoever is appropriate in OHIE how these tools we have been using (not building) allows us to see how things are working in multi-service environments, maintain health server installations, etc…

I think Martin demo’d some stuff while he was still around. If NewRelic is an option you all want to look into I’d love to do introductions to explore CSR subsidies or pricing - we know the team well and it may be an excellent ROI for MOHs who don’t have large or mature IT teams and operations. We use a lot of advanced features but even without these they may find it beneficial.

~ ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at 2:13 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangakas@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

During Wednesday’s session of the OpenHIE architecture meeting we were able to briefly discuss OpenHIE monitoring and evaluation methods.

Since a number of people were unable to attend this session, I thought that i’d list down our observations so that we could discuss / decide on a common path forward.

So basically,

1. We need to determine boundaries for Monitoring and Evaluation, and what they represent.
  1. Monitoring and evaluation includes,
  • Server performance / up time (hardware / software issues)
  • Clinical evaluation (etc. number of HIV positive patients not receiving appropriate treatment)
  1. Standards base : Our approach should adhere to standards wherever possible (question: what standards are available/usable ?)
  1. Adaptability / re-usability (can we re-use ? Note : Can we re-use any of the monitoring tools Instedd already uses / is building for certain tasks ? etc. newRelic and Poirot
  1. Need to evaluate adherence to guideline based care

One of many potential solutions discussed were to centralize logging / monitoring for all components within the HIM. This implies that the results / log for what each transaction undergoes at each component is transferred back to the HIM, and stored there.

On the plus side, this makes debugging very easy because each transaction can be seen as a single unit. On the negative side, moving heavy logs back to the HIM requires even more bandwidth usage, which may not work well :slight_smile:

I just wanted to share this here and make some waves so that we could schedule some more time to discuss this at length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,
Suranga

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Suranga

Best Regards,

Hi Shaun,

I agree, limiting scope sounds best. Perhaps, we could put place holder pages on the wiki for each of these types of motoring where people could dump thoughts and requirements that they would like to see. Maybe this would allow us to get started.

Cheers,

Ryan

···

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM, r.friedman@mindspring.com wrote:

I agree with Shaun. But there do seem to be two layers. The most “technical” layer is monitoring connections, transaction rate, response time; the monitored values are compared against service levels. The second layer is more content oriented – the number of encounters per visit type per time unit should stay relatively constant; the number of encounters per provider per time unit should stay relatively constant; the number of common diagnoses or prescriptions for common drugs or orders for common lab tests at a facility per unit of time should stay relatively constant or be seasonal; the number of patient creation events per time unit should taper off from initial values when the site came on line. Anomalies at this level may indicate software/hardware malfunctions or user/site problems. This second layer requires anomaly detection algorithms and has many similarities to epidemic detection. And the distance from this second layer to performance indicators is small.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Feb 10, 2014 5:05 PM

To: ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com

Cc: Eduardo Jezierski , Suranga Kasthurirathne

Subject: Re: Discussion on OpenHIE Monitoring and Evaluation design

This is a great conversation, to which I would offer a few thoughts.

Recall that there seems to be two distinct ends of the “monitoring” spectrum: at one end of the spectrum “monitoring” relates to tracking systems to ensure they’re functioning as expected (‘technical’ monitoring); the other end of the spectrum is “monitoring” as it pertains to “monitoring and evaluation” (“M&E”) - assessing the impact of systems on clinical and population health (‘clinical’ monitoring). These two senses of the word “monitoring” seem to have clear distinctions, even though they might use overlapping technologies or systems in some parts.

To make early and significant gains, I wonder if it would make sense to begin the “OpenHIE monitoring” discussions with well defined and limited initial scope. I would prefer we begin with an initial scope that focuses primarily on the first sense, “technical” monitoring of the system’s function rather than trying to also digest the more classical clinical M&E sense.

Does that sound like a reasonable way to begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

Ryan Crichton

Software Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH AFRICA

Mobile: +27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org

Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 274-9092 (Office)

(317) 274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangakas@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately, we couldn’t actually look at the NewRelic demo in action… i’m also interested in Poirot, which we may be able to use, at least in terms of learning how/what to do.

I’m definitely sure that RHIE would benefit from adopting NewRelic for their FR. Mario thinks that we may be able to use a free account, which is what i’m also rooting for. I will try to raise this matter with the RHIE team, and see their response.

On a separate tangent, it might be useful to find some time on a call, especially to discuss our boundaries/scope, as @Roger pointed out.

Best regards,

Suranga

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org wrote:

Thanks Suranga.

Please feel free to ask more about poirot and NewRelic; we’ll be glad to explain to whoever is appropriate in OHIE how these tools we have been using (not building) allows us to see how things are working in multi-service environments, maintain health server installations, etc…

I think Martin demo’d some stuff while he was still around. If NewRelic is an option you all want to look into I’d love to do introductions to explore CSR subsidies or pricing - we know the team well and it may be an excellent ROI for MOHs who don’t have large or mature IT teams and operations. We use a lot of advanced features but even without these they may find it beneficial.

~ ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at 2:13 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangakas@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

During Wednesday’s session of the OpenHIE architecture meeting we were able to briefly discuss OpenHIE monitoring and evaluation methods.

Since a number of people were unable to attend this session, I thought that i’d list down our observations so that we could discuss / decide on a common path forward.

So basically,

1. We need to determine boundaries for Monitoring and Evaluation, and what they represent.
  1. Monitoring and evaluation includes,
  • Server performance / up time (hardware / software issues)
  • Clinical evaluation (etc. number of HIV positive patients not receiving appropriate treatment)
  1. Standards base : Our approach should adhere to standards wherever possible (question: what standards are available/usable ?)
  1. Adaptability / re-usability (can we re-use ? Note : Can we re-use any of the monitoring tools Instedd already uses / is building for certain tasks ? etc. newRelic and Poirot
  1. Need to evaluate adherence to guideline based care

One of many potential solutions discussed were to centralize logging / monitoring for all components within the HIM. This implies that the results / log for what each transaction undergoes at each component is transferred back to the HIM, and stored there.

On the plus side, this makes debugging very easy because each transaction can be seen as a single unit. On the negative side, moving heavy logs back to the HIM requires even more bandwidth usage, which may not work well :slight_smile:

I just wanted to share this here and make some waves so that we could schedule some more time to discuss this at length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,
Suranga

Suranga

Best Regards,

Here are a couple of contributions from the Client Registry perspective and how we are thinking of supporting these requirements in the future.

Within the Java world there is a standard technology called JMX (for Java Management Extensions) that provides the means to add standards-based
monitoring and management capabilities to an application while isolating the aspect of instrumenting an application from the aspect of collecting
metrics and presenting them to interested users. The standard defines a mechanism for instrumenting an application and by following this
mechanism, end-users can use tools that comply with this standard to collect and view metrics. Many monitoring tools are available and quite
a few of them are free so by utilizing this standard for instrumentation we can automatically make use of the end-user tools.

The standard is fairly abstract so it can be used to collect metrics across the spectrum described by Shaun and r.friedman. It is up to the application to
expose the appropriate metrics whether they are technical in nature, such as the number of connections, number of threads, CPU utilization, etc. or
functional, such as the total number of patient registration messages, number of unique patients in the client registry, and so on.

This standard is widely adopted within the Java world with most application servers and enterprise applications already supporting it. The ESB that
we utilized for the RHEA deployment itself supports the JMX standard and makes many management capabilities available through it. Being though
that it is a Java standard, I am not sure to what extend this would be useful to all the registries. There are now libraries that support this standard
within the Python and .NET platforms.

Another useful technical solution that we can consider is Apache Flume. The first paragraph from their site describes it very well so I have copied it
down below:

Flume is a distributed, reliable, and available service for efficiently collecting, aggregating, and moving large amounts of log data

It is open source and will make it easy for us to aggregate log files from multiple applications in one place for root-cause analysis or for collecting metrics
for reporting purposes. The Client Registry is moving towards a distributed architecture for large deployments and even within this single registry it
will be very useful to be able to aggregate in an automated approach the logs from multiple servers in one place.

Best regards,
Odysseas

···

On 02/11/2014 07:13 AM, Ryan Crichton wrote:

Hi Shaun,

I agree, limiting scope sounds best. Perhaps, we could put place holder pages on the wiki for each of these types of motoring where people could dump thoughts and requirements that they would like to see. Maybe this would allow us to get started.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM, <r.friedman@mindspring.com > <mailto:r.friedman@mindspring.com>> wrote:

I agree with Shaun. But there do seem to be two layers. The most
    "technical" layer is monitoring connections, transaction rate,
    response time; the monitored values are compared against service
    levels. The second layer is more content oriented -- the number
    of encounters per visit type per time unit should stay relatively
    constant; the number of encounters per provider per time unit
    should stay relatively constant; the number of common diagnoses or
    prescriptions for common drugs or orders for common lab tests at a
    facility per unit of time should stay relatively constant or be
    seasonal; the number of patient creation events per time unit
    should taper off from initial values when the site came on line.
     Anomalies at this level may indicate software/hardware
    malfunctions or user/site problems. This second layer requires
    anomaly detection algorithms and has many similarities to epidemic
    detection. And the distance from this second layer to performance
    indicators is small.

<mailto:ohie-architecture@googlegroups.com>
        Subject: Re: Discussion on OpenHIE Monitoring and Evaluation
        design

This is a great conversation, to which I would offer a few
        thoughts.

Recall that there seems to be two distinct ends of the
        "monitoring" spectrum: at one end of the spectrum "monitoring"
        relates to tracking systems to ensure they're functioning as
        expected ('technical' monitoring); the other end of the
        spectrum is "monitoring" as it pertains to "monitoring and
        evaluation" ("M&E") - assessing the impact of systems on
        clinical and population health ('clinical' monitoring). These
        two senses of the word "monitoring" seem to have clear
        distinctions, even though they might use overlapping
        technologies or systems in some parts.

To make early and significant gains, I wonder if it would make
        sense to begin the "OpenHIE monitoring" discussions with well
        defined and limited initial scope. I would prefer we begin
        with an initial scope that focuses primarily on the first
        sense, "technical" monitoring of the system's function rather
        than trying to also digest the more classical clinical M&E sense.

Best,

Shaun

----
        Indianapolis, IN 46202
        (317) 274-9092 <tel:%28317%29%20274-9092> (Office)
        (317) 274-9305 <tel:%28317%29%20274-9305> (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne > <surangakas@gmail.com <mailto:surangakas@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Ed, I did have a good conversation with Mario on
            this matter.
            Unfortunately, we couldn't actually look at the NewRelic
            demo in action.. i'm also interested in Poirot, which we
            may be able to use, at least in terms of learning how/what
            to do.

I'm definitely sure that RHIE would benefit from adopting
            NewRelic for their FR. Mario thinks that we may be able to
            use a free account, which is what i'm also rooting for. I
            will try to raise this matter with the RHIE team, and see
            their response.

On a separate tangent, it might be useful to find some
            time on a call, especially to discuss our
            boundaries/scope, as @Roger pointed out.

Best regards,
            Suranga

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Eduardo Jezierski > <edjez@instedd.org <mailto:edjez@instedd.org>> wrote:

Thanks Suranga.

Please feel free to ask more about poirot and
                NewRelic; we'll be glad to explain to whoever is
                appropriate in OHIE how these tools we have been using
                (not building) allows us to see how things are working
                in multi-service environments, maintain health server
                installations, etc..

I think Martin demo'd some stuff while he was still
                around. If NewRelic is an option you all want to look
                into I'd love to do introductions to explore CSR
                subsidies or pricing - we know the team well and it
                may be an excellent ROI for MOHs who don't have large
                or mature IT teams and operations. We use a lot of
                advanced features but even without these they may find
                it beneficial.

~ ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at 2:13 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne > <surangakas@gmail.com <mailto:surangakas@gmail.com>> > wrote:

Hi,

During Wednesday's session of the OpenHIE
                architecture meeting we were able to briefly discuss
                OpenHIE monitoring and evaluation methods.
                Since a number of people were unable to attend this
                session, I thought that i'd list down our
                observations so that we could discuss / decide on a
                common path forward.

So basically,

1) We need to determine boundaries for Monitoring and
                Evaluation, and what they represent.

2) Monitoring and evaluation includes,

* Server performance / up time (hardware / software
                    issues)
                  * Clinical evaluation (etc. number of HIV positive
                    patients not receiving appropriate treatment)

3) Standards base : Our approach should adhere to
                standards wherever possible (question: what standards
                are available/usable ?)

4) Adaptability / re-usability (can we re-use ? Note
                : Can we re-use any of the monitoring tools Instedd
                already uses / is building for certain tasks ? etc.
                 newRelic and Poirot

5) Need to evaluate adherence to guideline based care

One of many potential solutions discussed were to
                centralize logging / monitoring for all components
                within the HIM. This implies that the results / log
                for what each transaction undergoes at each component
                is transferred back to the HIM, and stored there.
                On the plus side, this makes debugging very easy
                because each transaction can be seen as a single
                unit. On the negative side, moving heavy logs back to
                the HIM requires even more bandwidth usage, which may
                not work well :slight_smile:

I just wanted to share this here and make some waves
                so that we could schedule some more time to discuss
                this at length later.

Best regards,
                Suranga

-- Best Regards,
                Suranga

-- You received this message because you are subscribed
                to the Google Groups "OpenHIE Architecture" group.
                To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
                emails from it, send an email to
                ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
                <mailto:ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
                For more options, visit
                https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

-- You received this message because you are subscribed
                to the Google Groups "OpenHIE Architecture" group.
                emails from it, send an email to
                <mailto:ohie-architecture%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
                For more options, visit

-- Best Regards,

Suranga
            -- You received this message because you are subscribed to
            the Google Groups "OpenHIE Architecture" group.
            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails
            from it, send an email to
            For more options, visit

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
        Google Groups "OpenHIE Architecture" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
        it, send an email to

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
    Groups "OpenHIE Architecture" group.
    To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
    send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

--
Ryan Crichton
E-mail: ryan@jembi.org <mailto:ryan@jembi.org>
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OpenHIE Architecture" group.

--
Odysseas Pentakalos, Ph.D., PMP
Chief Technology Officer
SYSNET International, Inc.
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
mailto:odysseas@sysnetint.com
(703) 855-2029

widely supported network and system monitoring tools (like zabbix) also typically provide bridges to jmx as well as more established standards like snmp.

I think that such network monitoring tools should really be part of the essential infrastructure upon which architectural artefacts like openHIE should sit. Remote tools are useful for monitoring availability but I am not sure if they replace this traditional need.

+1 to central logging. And you can of course also aggregate them after the fact - http://logio.org/ for example looks like a very good tool for this sort of thing.

Clinical indicators are a different kettle of fish, with different tools and mechanisms - such as those we might conceive in the hmis box. Useful things but aimed at different layers of management.

Bob

···

On 11 February 2014 14:55, Odysseas Pentakalos, Ph.D. odysseas@sysnetint.com wrote:

Here are a couple of contributions from the Client Registry

perspective and how we are thinking of supporting these
requirements in the future.

Within the Java world there is a standard technology called JMX

(for Java Management Extensions) that provides the means to add
standards-based

monitoring and management capabilities to an application while

isolating the aspect of instrumenting an application from the
aspect of collecting

metrics and presenting them to interested users. The standard

defines a mechanism for instrumenting an application and by
following this

mechanism, end-users can use tools that comply with this standard

to collect and view metrics. Many monitoring tools are available
and quite

a few of them are free so by utilizing this standard for

instrumentation we can automatically make use of the end-user
tools.

The standard is fairly abstract so it can be used to collect

metrics across the spectrum described by Shaun and r.friedman. It
is up to the application to

expose the appropriate metrics whether they are technical in

nature, such as the number of connections, number of threads, CPU
utilization, etc. or

functional, such as the total number of patient registration

messages, number of unique patients in the client registry, and so
on.

This standard is widely adopted within the Java world with most

application servers and enterprise applications already supporting
it. The ESB that

we utilized for the RHEA deployment itself supports the JMX

standard and makes many management capabilities available through
it. Being though

that it is a Java standard, I am not sure to what extend this

would be useful to all the registries. There are now libraries
that support this standard

Another useful technical solution that we can consider is Apache

Flume. The first paragraph from their site describes it very well
so I have copied it

down below:

Flume is a distributed, reliable, and available service for

efficiently collecting, aggregating, and moving large amounts of
log
data

It is open source and will make it easy for us to aggregate log

files from multiple applications in one place for root-cause
analysis or for collecting metrics

for reporting purposes. The Client Registry is moving towards a

distributed architecture for large deployments and even within
this single registry it

will be very useful to be able to aggregate in an automated

approach the logs from multiple servers in one place.

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

I agree, limiting scope sounds best. Perhaps, we could put

place holder pages on the wiki for each of these types of
motoring where people could dump thoughts and requirements
that they would like to see. Maybe this would allow us to get
started.

Cheers,

Ryan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google

Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.

send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out](https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out).
-- Odysseas Pentakalos, Ph.D., PMP
Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM, r.friedman@mindspring.com
wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

there do seem to be two layers. The most
“technical” layer is monitoring connections,
transaction rate, response time; the monitored
values are compared against service levels. The
second layer is more content oriented – the number
of encounters per visit type per time unit should
stay relatively constant; the number of encounters
per provider per time unit should stay relatively
constant; the number of common diagnoses or
prescriptions for common drugs or orders for common
lab tests at a facility per unit of time should stay
relatively constant or be seasonal; the number of
patient creation events per time unit should taper
off from initial values when the site came on line.
Anomalies at this level may indicate
software/hardware malfunctions or user/site
problems. This second layer requires anomaly
detection algorithms and has many similarities to
epidemic detection. And the distance from this
second layer to performance indicators is small.

Subject: Re: Discussion on OpenHIE Monitoring and

Evaluation design

This is a great conversation, to which I

would offer a few thoughts.

Recall that there seems to be two distinct

ends of the “monitoring” spectrum: at one end of
the spectrum “monitoring” relates to tracking
systems to ensure they’re functioning as
expected (‘technical’ monitoring); the other end
of the spectrum is “monitoring” as it pertains
to “monitoring and evaluation” (“M&E”) -
assessing the impact of systems on clinical and
population health (‘clinical’ monitoring). These
two senses of the word “monitoring” seem to have
clear distinctions, even though they might use
overlapping technologies or systems in some
parts.

To make early and significant gains, I wonder

if it would make sense to begin the “OpenHIE
monitoring” discussions with well defined and
limited initial scope. I would prefer we begin
with an initial scope that focuses primarily on
the first sense, “technical” monitoring of the
system’s function rather than trying to also
digest the more classical clinical M&E
sense.

Does that sound like a reasonable way to

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

You received this message because you are subscribed

to the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.

emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit [https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out](https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out).

You received this message because you are subscribed to

the Google Groups “OpenHIE Architecture” group.

from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ryan
Crichton

Software

Developer, Jembi Health Systems | SOUTH
AFRICA

Mobile:

+27845829934 | Skype: ryan.graham.crichton

Biomedical Research Scientist, The

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

5:19 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne surangakas@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Ed, I did have a good

conversation with Mario on this matter.

Unfortunately, we couldn't actually

look at the NewRelic demo in action… i’m
also interested in Poirot, which we may be
able to use, at least in terms of learning
how/what to do.

I'm definitely sure that RHIE would

benefit from adopting NewRelic for their
FR. Mario thinks that we may be able to
use a free account, which is what i’m also
rooting for. I will try to raise this
matter with the RHIE team, and see their
response.

On a separate tangent, it might be

useful to find some time on a call,
especially to discuss our

Best regards,

Suranga

--

You received this message because you are

subscribed to the Google Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop

receiving emails from it, send an email to
ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

at 3:20 PM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org
wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

Please feel free to ask more

about poirot and NewRelic; we’ll be
glad to explain to whoever is
appropriate in OHIE how these tools
we have been using (not building)
allows us to see how things are
working in multi-service
environments, maintain health server
installations, etc…

I think Martin demo'd some stuff

while he was still around. If
NewRelic is an option you all want
to look into I’d love to do
introductions to explore CSR
subsidies or pricing - we know the
team well and it may be an excellent
ROI for MOHs who don’t have large or
mature IT teams and operations. We
use a lot of advanced features but
even without these they may find it
beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

2:13 PM, Suranga
Kasthurirathne <surangakas@gmail.com >
wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

•                                                       Server

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)
  •                                                       Clinical

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

base : Our
approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
(question: what
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
Note : Can we
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work
well :slight_smile:

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an
email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit

You received this message because

you are subscribed to the Google

To unsubscribe from this group and

stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Suranga

Best Regards,

Hi All,

Here is a work-item for the ITI committee for this year that may be relevant to the overall discussion. It allows some basic querying of ATNA logs.

ftp://ftp.ihe.net/IT_Infrastructure/iheitiyr12-2014-2015/Technical_Cmte/Detailed-Proposals/IHE_Profile_ATNA_federation_detailed.docx

Cheers,
-carl

···

On 11 February 2014 14:55, Odysseas Pentakalos, Ph.D. odysseas@sysnetint.com wrote:

standards-based

aspect of collecting

following this

and quite

tools.

utilization, etc. or

on.

it. The ESB that

it. Being though

so I have copied it

down below:

log
data

this single registry it

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

started.

Cheers,

Ryan

Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

Evaluation design

parts.

sense.

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

emails from it, send an email to ohie-architecture+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ryan
Crichton

Software

AFRICA

Mobile:

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

wrote:

Hi,

how/what to do.

response.

Best regards,

Suranga

--

Architecture” group.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

working in multi-service
installations, etc…

beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an

For more options, visit

Suranga

Best Regards,

Hi all,

+1 to centralized logging

+1 to placeholder pages on the wiki

+1 to reducing the scope - for now :slight_smile:

···

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Carl Leitner litlfred@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,
Here is a work-item for the ITI committee for this year that may be relevant to the overall discussion. It allows some basic querying of ATNA logs.

ftp://ftp.ihe.net/IT_Infrastructure/iheitiyr12-2014-2015/Technical_Cmte/Detailed-Proposals/IHE_Profile_ATNA_federation_detailed.docx

Cheers,
-carl

On Feb 11, 2014, at 11:05 AM, Bob Jolliffe bobjolliffe@gmail.com wrote:

widely supported network and system monitoring tools (like zabbix) also typically provide bridges to jmx as well as more established standards like snmp.

I think that such network monitoring tools should really be part of the essential infrastructure upon which architectural artefacts like openHIE should sit. Remote tools are useful for monitoring availability but I am not sure if they replace this traditional need.

+1 to central logging. And you can of course also aggregate them after the fact - http://logio.org/ for example looks like a very good tool for this sort of thing.

Clinical indicators are a different kettle of fish, with different tools and mechanisms - such as those we might conceive in the hmis box. Useful things but aimed at different layers of management.

Bob

Best Regards,

Suranga

standards-based

aspect of collecting

following this

and quite

tools.

utilization, etc. or

on.

it. The ESB that

it. Being though

so I have copied it

down below:

log
data

this single registry it

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

started.

Cheers,

Ryan

Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

Evaluation design

parts.

sense.

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

Ryan
Crichton

Software

AFRICA

Mobile:

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

wrote:

Hi,

how/what to do.

response.

Best regards,

Suranga

--

Architecture” group.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

working in multi-service
installations, etc…

beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an

For more options, visit

Suranga

Best Regards,

Thanks Carl these are great.

Stepping back and looking at this thread, seing OHIE a toolkit for an integrated architecture, I would expect coherent treatment of crosscutting themes - of course security related aspects and management as well as infrastructure management and other governance topics.

By coherent I mean that there are sound principles and guidelines outlined for each of these crosscutting areas; and clear identification of standards & IHE profiles where needed; so that each sub-community can prioritize and address ‘blending in’ in appropriate ways. Furthermore; the capacity building in country around these topics is important and part of having an OHIE implementation is understanding the capabilities and contextualizing them to local needs. A CMM / Zachmannish approach can be used as a guideline to produce some artifacts when we hear countries demand them.

Specifically to the montoring thread; Suranga also saw how we use NewRelic as well as other tools to track & trace & visualize activities spanning multiple services. It’s helped us a lot - our systems are mostly skins over collections of web services that work alongside each other or are stacked up; so seeing what happened where and when caused by a single activity that meanders its way through them has been very useful.

~ ej

···

standards-based

aspect of collecting

following this

and quite

tools.

utilization, etc. or

on.

it. The ESB that

it. Being though

so I have copied it

down below:

log
data

this single registry it

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

started.

Cheers,

Ryan

Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

Evaluation design

parts.

sense.

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

Ryan
Crichton

Software

AFRICA

Mobile:

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

wrote:

Hi,

how/what to do.

response.

Best regards,

Suranga

--

Architecture” group.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

working in multi-service
installations, etc…

beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an

For more options, visit

Suranga

Best Regards,

Stepping back and looking at this thread, seing OHIE a toolkit for an
integrated architecture, I would expect coherent treatment of crosscutting
themes - of course security related aspects and management as well as
infrastructure management and other governance topics.
By coherent I mean that there are sound principles and guidelines outlined
for each of these crosscutting areas; and clear identification of standards
& IHE profiles where needed; so that each sub-community can prioritize and
address 'blending in' in appropriate ways. Furthermore; the capacity
building in country around these topics is important and part of having an
OHIE implementation is understanding the capabilities and contextualizing
them to local needs. A CMM / Zachmann*ish* approach can be used as a
guideline to produce some artifacts when we hear countries demand them.

Specifically to the montoring thread; Suranga also saw how we use NewRelic
as well as other tools to track & trace & visualize activities spanning
multiple services. It's helped us a lot - our systems are mostly skins over
collections of web services that work alongside each other or are stacked
up; so seeing what happened where and when caused by a single activity that
meanders its way through them has been very useful.

Ah I see that this is really yet another level of monitoring. Not really
to do with cpu cycles and disk utilization at all. More about
collecting/processing information about how the system is being used at the
level of web interactions.

···

On 11 February 2014 17:45, Eduardo Jezierski <edjez@instedd.org> wrote:

~ ej

On Feb 11, 2014, at 8:14 AM, Carl Leitner <litlfred@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,
Here is a work-item for the ITI committee for this year that may be
relevant to the overall discussion. It allows some basic querying of ATNA
logs.

Cheers,
-carl

On Feb 11, 2014, at 11:05 AM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@gmail.com> wrote:

widely supported network and system monitoring tools (like zabbix) also
typically provide bridges to jmx as well as more established standards like
snmp.

I think that such network monitoring tools should really be part of the
essential infrastructure upon which architectural artefacts like openHIE
should sit. Remote tools are useful for monitoring availability but I am
not sure if they replace this traditional need.

+1 to central logging. And you can of course also aggregate them after
the fact - http://logio.org/ for example looks like a very good tool for
this sort of thing.

Clinical indicators are a different kettle of fish, with different tools
and mechanisms - such as those we might conceive in the hmis box. Useful
things but aimed at different layers of management.

Bob

On 11 February 2014 14:55, Odysseas Pentakalos, Ph.D. < > odysseas@sysnetint.com> wrote:

Here are a couple of contributions from the Client Registry perspective
and how we are thinking of supporting these requirements in the future.

Within the Java world there is a standard technology called JMX (for Java
Management Extensions) that provides the means to add standards-based
monitoring and management capabilities to an application while isolating
the aspect of instrumenting an application from the aspect of collecting
metrics and presenting them to interested users. The standard defines a
mechanism for instrumenting an application and by following this
mechanism, end-users can use tools that comply with this standard to
collect and view metrics. Many monitoring tools are available and quite
a few of them are free so by utilizing this standard for instrumentation
we can automatically make use of the end-user tools.

The standard is fairly abstract so it can be used to collect metrics
across the spectrum described by Shaun and r.friedman. It is up to the
application to
expose the appropriate metrics whether they are technical in nature, such
as the number of connections, number of threads, CPU utilization, etc. or
functional, such as the total number of patient registration messages,
number of unique patients in the client registry, and so on.

application servers and enterprise applications already supporting it. The
ESB that
we utilized for the RHEA deployment itself supports the JMX standard and
makes many management capabilities available through it. Being though
that it is a Java standard, I am not sure to what extend this would be
useful to all the registries. There are now libraries that support this
standard

Another useful technical solution that we can consider is Apache Flume.
The first paragraph from their site describes it very well so I have copied
it
down below:

Flume is a distributed, reliable, and available service for efficiently
collecting, aggregating, and moving large amounts of log data

It is open source and will make it easy for us to aggregate log files
from multiple applications in one place for root-cause analysis or for
collecting metrics
distributed architecture for large deployments and even within this single
registry it
will be very useful to be able to aggregate in an automated approach the
logs from multiple servers in one place.

Best regards,
Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

I agree, limiting scope sounds best. Perhaps, we could put place holder
pages on the wiki for each of these types of motoring where people could
dump thoughts and requirements that they would like to see. Maybe this
would allow us to get started.

Cheers,
Ryan

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM, <r.friedman@mindspring.com> wrote:

I agree with Shaun. But there do seem to be two layers. The most
"technical" layer is monitoring connections, transaction rate, response
time; the monitored values are compared against service levels. The second
layer is more content oriented -- the number of encounters per visit type
per time unit should stay relatively constant; the number of encounters per
provider per time unit should stay relatively constant; the number of
common diagnoses or prescriptions for common drugs or orders for common lab
tests at a facility per unit of time should stay relatively constant or be
seasonal; the number of patient creation events per time unit should taper
off from initial values when the site came on line. Anomalies at this
level may indicate software/hardware malfunctions or user/site problems.
This second layer requires anomaly detection algorithms and has many
similarities to epidemic detection. And the distance from this second
layer to performance indicators is small.

Subject: Re: Discussion on OpenHIE Monitoring and Evaluation design

This is a great conversation, to which I would offer a few thoughts.

Recall that there seems to be two distinct ends of the "monitoring"
spectrum: at one end of the spectrum "monitoring" relates to tracking
systems to ensure they're functioning as expected ('technical' monitoring);
the other end of the spectrum is "monitoring" as it pertains to "monitoring
and evaluation" ("M&E") - assessing the impact of systems on clinical and
population health ('clinical' monitoring). These two senses of the word
"monitoring" seem to have clear distinctions, even though they might use
overlapping technologies or systems in some parts.

To make early and significant gains, I wonder if it would make sense
to begin the "OpenHIE monitoring" discussions with well defined and limited
initial scope. I would prefer we begin with an initial scope that focuses
primarily on the first sense, "technical" monitoring of the system's
function rather than trying to also digest the more classical clinical M&E
sense.

Best,

Shaun

----
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 274-9092 <%28317%29%20274-9092> (Office)
(317) 274-9305 <%28317%29%20274-9305> (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne < >>> surangakas@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately, we couldn't actually look at the NewRelic demo in
action.. i'm also interested in Poirot, which we may be able to use, at
least in terms of learning how/what to do.

I'm definitely sure that RHIE would benefit from adopting NewRelic
for their FR. Mario thinks that we may be able to use a free account, which
is what i'm also rooting for. I will try to raise this matter with the RHIE
team, and see their response.

On a separate tangent, it might be useful to find some time on a
call, especially to discuss our boundaries/scope, as @Roger pointed out.

Best regards,
Suranga

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Eduardo Jezierski <edjez@instedd.org>wrote:

Thanks Suranga.

Please feel free to ask more about poirot and NewRelic; we'll be
glad to explain to whoever is appropriate in OHIE how these tools we have
been using (not building) allows us to see how things are working in
multi-service environments, maintain health server installations, etc..

I think Martin demo'd some stuff while he was still around. If
NewRelic is an option you all want to look into I'd love to do
introductions to explore CSR subsidies or pricing - we know the team well
and it may be an excellent ROI for MOHs who don't have large or mature IT
teams and operations. We use a lot of advanced features but even without
these they may find it beneficial.

~ ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at 2:13 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne < >>>>> surangakas@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

During Wednesday's session of the OpenHIE architecture meeting we
were able to briefly discuss OpenHIE monitoring and evaluation methods.
Since a number of people were unable to attend this session, I thought
that i'd list down our observations so that we could discuss / decide on a
common path forward.

So basically,

1) We need to determine boundaries for Monitoring and Evaluation,
and what they represent.

2) Monitoring and evaluation includes,

- Server performance / up time (hardware / software issues)
    - Clinical evaluation (etc. number of HIV positive patients not
   receiving appropriate treatment)

3) Standards base : Our approach should adhere to standards wherever
possible (question: what standards are available/usable ?)

4) Adaptability / re-usability (can we re-use ? Note : Can we re-use
any of the monitoring tools Instedd already uses / is building for certain
tasks ? etc. newRelic and Poirot

5) Need to evaluate adherence to guideline based care

One of many potential solutions discussed were to centralize logging
/ monitoring for all components within the HIM. This implies that the
results / log for what each transaction undergoes at each component is
transferred back to the HIM, and stored there.
On the plus side, this makes debugging very easy because each
transaction can be seen as a single unit. On the negative side, moving
heavy logs back to the HIM requires even more bandwidth usage, which may
not work well :slight_smile:

I just wanted to share this here and make some waves so that we
could schedule some more time to discuss this at length later.

Best regards,
Suranga

--
Best Regards,
Suranga

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send

--

--
Best Regards,

Suranga
--

--

--

--
Ryan Crichton
   --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"OpenHIE Architecture" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an

--
Odysseas Pentakalos, Ph.D., PMP
Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171mailto:odysseas@sysnetint.com <odysseas@sysnetint.com>
(703) 855-2029

--

--

--

Agree

For CPU, uptime, free disk space, and the likes we have been super happy with Munin.

For example; you can see our stats for one of our mobile routing systems here

http://munin.instedd.org/instedd.org/nuntium.instedd.org/index.html

you can see super detailed things but also important things like uptime days etc there. The services contributing data need not live in the same physical subnet/environment.

···

On 11 February 2014 17:45, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org wrote:

Stepping back and looking at this thread, seing OHIE a toolkit for an integrated architecture, I would expect coherent treatment of crosscutting themes - of course security related aspects and management as well as infrastructure management and other governance topics.

By coherent I mean that there are sound principles and guidelines outlined for each of these crosscutting areas; and clear identification of standards & IHE profiles where needed; so that each sub-community can prioritize and address ‘blending in’ in appropriate ways. Furthermore; the capacity building in country around these topics is important and part of having an OHIE implementation is understanding the capabilities and contextualizing them to local needs. A CMM / Zachmannish approach can be used as a guideline to produce some artifacts when we hear countries demand them.

Specifically to the montoring thread; Suranga also saw how we use NewRelic as well as other tools to track & trace & visualize activities spanning multiple services. It’s helped us a lot - our systems are mostly skins over collections of web services that work alongside each other or are stacked up; so seeing what happened where and when caused by a single activity that meanders its way through them has been very useful.

Ah I see that this is really yet another level of monitoring. Not really to do with cpu cycles and disk utilization at all. More about collecting/processing information about how the system is being used at the level of web interactions.

~ ej

On Feb 11, 2014, at 8:14 AM, Carl Leitner litlfred@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,

Cheers,
-carl

Bob

standards-based

aspect of collecting

following this

and quite

tools.

utilization, etc. or

on.

it. The ESB that

it. Being though

so I have copied it

down below:

log
data

this single registry it

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

started.

Cheers,

Ryan

Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

Evaluation design

parts.

sense.

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

Ryan
Crichton

Software

AFRICA

Mobile:

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

wrote:

Hi,

how/what to do.

response.

Best regards,

Suranga

--

Architecture” group.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

working in multi-service
installations, etc…

beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an

For more options, visit

Suranga

Best Regards,

Yes MOH has munin running on one of the dhis servers in Rwanda as well (in fact the postgres db server).

Having such monitoring service available as a “standard” box somewhere in the enterprise could certainly be part of a “best practice” picture. Not necessarily munin of course, but a placeholder for a couple of options.

···

On 11 February 2014 18:31, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org wrote:

Agree
For CPU, uptime, free disk space, and the likes we have been super happy with Munin.

you can see super detailed things but also important things like uptime days etc there. The services contributing data need not live in the same physical subnet/environment.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Bob Jolliffe bobjolliffe@gmail.com wrote:

Ah I see that this is really yet another level of monitoring. Not really to do with cpu cycles and disk utilization at all. More about collecting/processing information about how the system is being used at the level of web interactions.

~ ej

Hi All,

Cheers,
-carl

Bob

standards-based

aspect of collecting

following this

and quite

tools.

utilization, etc. or

on.

it. The ESB that

it. Being though

so I have copied it

down below:

log
data

this single registry it

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

started.

Cheers,

Ryan

Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

Evaluation design

parts.

sense.

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

Ryan
Crichton

Software

AFRICA

Mobile:

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

wrote:

Hi,

how/what to do.

response.

Best regards,

Suranga

--

Architecture” group.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

working in multi-service
installations, etc…

beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an

For more options, visit

Suranga

Best Regards,

+1

···

Agree

~ ej

Hi All,

Cheers,
-carl

Bob

standards-based

aspect of collecting

following this

and quite

tools.

utilization, etc. or

on.

it. The ESB that

it. Being though

so I have copied it

down below:

log
data

this single registry it

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

started.

Cheers,

Ryan

Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

Evaluation design

parts.

sense.

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

Ryan
Crichton

Software

AFRICA

Mobile:

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

wrote:

Hi,

how/what to do.

response.

Best regards,

Suranga

--

Architecture” group.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

working in multi-service
installations, etc…

beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an

For more options, visit

Suranga

Best Regards,

Perhaps an approach we could take would be for the HIM to provide a mechanism (or incorporate a tool) that allows metrics to be reported from the registries and itself. This could give a single view into the performance of the HIE.

Ryan

···

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org wrote:

+1

On Feb 11, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Bob Jolliffe bobjolliffe@gmail.com wrote:

Yes MOH has munin running on one of the dhis servers in Rwanda as well (in fact the postgres db server).

Having such monitoring service available as a “standard” box somewhere in the enterprise could certainly be part of a “best practice” picture. Not necessarily munin of course, but a placeholder for a couple of options.

Ryan Crichton

Agree

~ ej

Hi All,

Cheers,
-carl

Bob

standards-based

aspect of collecting

following this

and quite

tools.

utilization, etc. or

on.

it. The ESB that

it. Being though

so I have copied it

down below:

log
data

this single registry it

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

started.

Cheers,

Ryan

Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

Evaluation design

parts.

sense.

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

Ryan
Crichton

Software

AFRICA

Mobile:

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

wrote:

Hi,

how/what to do.

response.

Best regards,

Suranga

--

Architecture” group.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

working in multi-service
installations, etc…

beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an

For more options, visit

Suranga

Best Regards,

Agree 100% - these tools all rely on standard protocols but knowing which ones we’re converging on allow us to install the right agents in our setup scripts and VMs.

···

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Eduardo Jezierski edjez@instedd.org wrote:

+1

On Feb 11, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Bob Jolliffe bobjolliffe@gmail.com wrote:

Ryan Crichton

Agree

~ ej

Hi All,

Cheers,
-carl

Bob

standards-based

aspect of collecting

following this

and quite

tools.

utilization, etc. or

on.

it. The ESB that

it. Being though

so I have copied it

down below:

log
data

this single registry it

Best regards,

Odysseas

Hi Shaun,

started.

Cheers,

Ryan

Chief Technology Officer
2930 Oak Shadow Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
(703) 855-2029

wrote:

I agree with Shaun.  But

Evaluation design

parts.

sense.

begin this work?

Best,

Shaun

Ryan
Crichton

Software

AFRICA

Mobile:

Regenstrief Institute

Indianapolis, IN 46202

(317)

274-9092 (Office)

(317)

274-9305 (Fax)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at

wrote:

Hi,

how/what to do.

response.

Best regards,

Suranga

--

Architecture” group.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014

wrote:

Thanks

Suranga.

working in multi-service
installations, etc…

beneficial.

~

ej

On Feb 6, 2014, at

wrote:

Hi,

During

Wednesday’s
session of the
OpenHIE
architecture
meeting we were
able to briefly
discuss OpenHIE
monitoring and
evaluation
methods.

Since a number

of people were
unable to attend
this session, I
thought that i’d
list down our
observations so
that we could
discuss / decide
on a common path
forward.

So basically,

1) We need to

determine
boundaries for
Monitoring and
Evaluation, and
what they
represent.

2) Monitoring

and evaluation
includes,

performance /
    up time
    (hardware /
    software
    issues)

evaluation
    (etc. number
    of HIV
    positive
    patients not
    receiving
    appropriate
    treatment)
                                                  3) Standards

approach should
adhere to
standards wherever
possible
standards are
available/usable
?)

4) Adaptability

/ re-usability
(can we re-use ?
re-use any of the
monitoring tools
Instedd already
uses / is building
for certain tasks
? etc. newRelic
and Poirot

5) Need to

evaluate adherence
to guideline based
care

One of many

potential
solutions
discussed were to
centralize logging
/ monitoring for
all components
within the HIM.
This implies that
the results / log
for what each
transaction
undergoes at each
component is
transferred back
to the HIM, and
stored there.

On the plus

side, this makes
debugging very
easy because each
transaction can be
seen as a single
unit. On the
negative side,
moving heavy logs
back to the HIM
requires even more
bandwidth usage,
which may not work

I just wanted

to share this here
and make some
waves so that we
could schedule
some more time to
discuss this at
length later.

Best regards,

Suranga

Best Regards,

Suranga

You received this

message because you are
subscribed to the Google
Groups “OpenHIE
Architecture” group.

To unsubscribe from this

group and stop receiving
emails from it, send an

For more options, visit

Suranga

Best Regards,