Candidate countries

Hi Paul,

As part of assembling the SHR requirements, we have a brief section on who our “customers” might be. I based a couple of scenarios on my knowledge of East Africa, which meant that I quoted a figure of a population of 40 million.

It was mentioned on yesterday’s call that the Philippines and Bangladesh could also be considered, which would mean we’re talking more about a population of 100 million.

Is that true? Are there any other insights you can give us as to who might be early users of an OpenHIE system in general and a SHR in particular?

Cheers,

Chris

Ooops, I linked to the interoperability layer document. The SHR one is https://openhie.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4948134.

···

On 22 May 2013 10:01, Chris Ford christophertford@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Paul,

As part of assembling the SHR requirements, we have a brief section on who our “customers” might be. I based a couple of scenarios on my knowledge of East Africa, which meant that I quoted a figure of a population of 40 million.

It was mentioned on yesterday’s call that the Philippines and Bangladesh could also be considered, which would mean we’re talking more about a population of 100 million.

Is that true? Are there any other insights you can give us as to who might be early users of an OpenHIE system in general and a SHR in particular?

Cheers,

Chris

Perhaps this conversation should be escalated to the master OpenHIE list? On the SHR, HIM and provider registry calls, we’ve come across issues on how the piece relates to the whole. I think that OpenHIE as a whole would benefit from some discussions on its purpose and identity that include everyone in the project.

Chris

···

On 22 May 2013 10:16, Chris Ford christophertford@gmail.com wrote:

Ooops, I linked to the interoperability layer document. The SHR one is https://openhie.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4948134.

Hi Paul,

Cheers,

Chris

I apologize, Chris. I missed this thread the first time, and it sunk into non-priority inbox hell. :frowning:

Two principal comments:

1. Yes, the Phillipines and other South Asia countries have expressed deliberate interest in implementing national HIE architectures based upon OpenHIE. So the countries you alluded to are correct, and the sizes are also roughly correct.

2. Other environments deal with the issue of scale in many different ways, depending upon the use cases and the socio-political landscape amongst other environmental presumptions.

Most people start their thinking by presuming that you’d create one national SHR that’s centrally located. Often times in practice, there’s value in thinking about medical “service areas” which often times are population clusters within a larger country as something to organize around.

For example, in the US, exchanges occur at the regional level based upon major population centers. There are ideas of “little bus” (which allows data to roll between service areas within a region" and “big bus” (which allows data to roll between regions). Often time the granularity and nature of data that moves between little bus and big bus differ.

The environments we’re serving might have a different take or presumption about this, given the centralized political makeup of health provision in a place like Bangledesh. Other environments distribute the health care delivery burden differently.

In short: it’s a collection multifactorial concerns that would move a country towards various degrees of lumping and splitting. However, it would be ideal to architect OpenHIE in a way that allows it to roll up to a “single SHR” if the country’s will is to do so.

I just haven’t seen examples where that actually happens outside of the federated models I allude to above.

Hope this helps,

-Paul

···

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Chris Ford christophertford@gmail.com wrote:

Chris

Perhaps this conversation should be escalated to the master OpenHIE list? On the SHR, HIM and provider registry calls, we’ve come across issues on how the piece relates to the whole. I think that OpenHIE as a whole would benefit from some discussions on its purpose and identity that include everyone in the project.

On 22 May 2013 10:16, Chris Ford christophertford@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Paul,

Cheers,

Chris