API Change Management Process

Hi Team,

I’m not sure if we’re going to have quorum at the PM meeting tomorrow, given everyone’s travel schedule, but for such time as the next PM call is executed, I’d like to propose that we discuss and draft a change management process to streamline our communications and community engagement for revisions to the API after its initial release.

Off the top of my head, I think we can do a better job documenting issues and change requests, soliciting community feedback within tractable windows of time, and making it easier for future implementers to find and understand the justification driving design decisions. The goal here is not to slow us down, but rather to come up with something lightweight enough to help us move faster.

Cheers,

Rowena

Hi Team,

I'm not sure if we're going to have quorum at the PM meeting tomorrow,
given everyone's travel schedule, but for such time as the next PM call is
executed, I'd like to propose that we discuss and draft a change management
process to streamline our communications and community engagement for
revisions to the API after its initial release.

Off the top of my head, I think we can do a better job documenting issues
and change requests, soliciting community feedback within tractable windows
of time, and making it easier for future implementers to find and
understand the justification driving design decisions. The goal here is not
to slow us down, but rather to come up with something lightweight enough to
help us move faster.

Agree. I wasn't sure if there was a call scheduled tomorrow. I am caught

up between 15h30 and 16h30 GMT tomorrow, so if we do have at our usual time
then I will join a bit late.

···

On 20 November 2012 19:11, Rowena Luk <rluk@dimagi.com> wrote:

Cheers,

Rowena

--

Hi all, I agree with Rowena’s comment below and in the Wednesday call for improvement to the API change management process. Ed and I have been discussing for a while to be introduced
for versioning after the v1 API. I also need to get a better sense what tracking is built into Github. This is something we can cover in the next technical call.

Best,

Kelly

···

Hi Team,

I’m not sure if we’re going to have quorum at the PM meeting tomorrow, given everyone’s travel schedule, but for such time as the next PM call is executed, I’d like to propose that we discuss and draft a change management process to streamline our communications
and community engagement for revisions to the API after its initial release.

Off the top of my head, I think we can do a better job documenting issues and change requests, soliciting community feedback within tractable windows of time, and making it easier for future implementers to find and understand the justification driving
design decisions. The goal here is not to slow us down, but rather to come up with something lightweight enough to help us move faster.

Agree. I wasn’t sure if there was a call scheduled tomorrow. I am caught up between 15h30 and 16h30 GMT tomorrow, so if we do have at our usual time then I will join a bit late.

Cheers,

Rowena

We’ve started tagging issues, so a 1.1 tag could be a low-fi solution to start us on the track to keeping things separated.

···

Hi Team,

I’m not sure if we’re going to have quorum at the PM meeting tomorrow, given everyone’s travel schedule, but for such time as the next PM call is executed, I’d like to propose that we discuss and draft a change management process to streamline our communications
and community engagement for revisions to the API after its initial release.

Off the top of my head, I think we can do a better job documenting issues and change requests, soliciting community feedback within tractable windows of time, and making it easier for future implementers to find and understand the justification driving
design decisions. The goal here is not to slow us down, but rather to come up with something lightweight enough to help us move faster.

Agree. I wasn’t sure if there was a call scheduled tomorrow. I am caught up between 15h30 and 16h30 GMT tomorrow, so if we do have at our usual time then I will join a bit late.

Cheers,

Rowena